Homemade Steak Sauce

Spring is somewhat upon us and with that comes my favorite other season…

Zee grilling season.

We grill A LOT in this house and Pat and I especially love a good grilled steak. SO while I like mine with this butter slowly melting over top, Pat sometimes likes his with steak sauce. But truth be told; a really good steak shouldn’t need any sauce… I dunno… sometimes it just does.

steak sauce 1

But I also must tell you that steak sauce is really versatile. Throw in some cayenne or a minced chipotle for some heat, or maybe add balsamic instead of white wine vinegar for a little panache. Did I just say that?

Stay tuned… because I have another recipe coming up featuring this sauce like you would never believe. So stay tuned for that, but first you get zee sauce.

ingredients

Raise your hand if you have all this in your cupboard.

onion

Start by chopping up an onion… it really doesn’t need to be all that perfect because it will be strained later on. It’s purely a habit that this onion is chopped this precisely and a little part of the anal-retentive Virgo in me; because really you could totally hack the ish out of this onion and it won’t really matter.

minced garlic

Also, roughly chop, mince or hack the ish out of the two cloves of garlic.

into the pot

Throw all that into a small sauce pan.

juice a lemon

Put the squeeze on an entire lemon… medium sized.

add into the pot

And add in the dark brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, tamari, water and mustard right on into that pot. Now if you want to be even MORE scratch-y you could make your own ketchup!

combine

Whisk all those goodies together.

boil and simmer

Bring it to a boil, then reduce to medium-high and let it simmer away for 30 or until it’s niiiiiice and thiiiiiick.

strain

Pour the reduced steak sauce through a mesh strainer…

strain2

Use a spoon or the whisk to push the sauce through so only the onions and garlic remain.

steak sauce 2

Let it cool before storing in the fridge, or serve it warm with a nicely charred rib-eye!

steak sauce 1

Homemade Steak Sauce

Smother your steak in this easy and delicious sauce!

Yield: 1-1/4 cups

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

1 Yellow Onion, chopped

2 cloves Garlic, minced

1 cup Ketchup

1 medium sized Lemon, juiced

1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce

1/4 cup White Wine Vinegar

1/4 cup water

2 to 3 tablespoons Tamari

2 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar

1 tablespoon {heaping} Dijon Mustard

In a sauce pan combine the chopped onion, garlic and the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium/medium-high and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

Pour the thickened sauce through a mesh strainer {that has been placed into a large bowl} to catch the onions and garlic, use a spoon or spatula to press the sauce through. Wipe any excess off the bottom of the strainer and into the bowl.

Let the steak sauce cool before transferring to an airtight container and into the fridge.

Can be stored in the fridge for two to four weeks.

29 Responses to “Homemade Steak Sauce”

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — March 26, 2013 at 8:08 am

YUM! We love slathering sauces on our meats in this house and if it’s homemade it doesn’t feel so much like a crime. Thanks!

jane — March 26, 2013 at 8:16 am

I’m about to try this one tonight <3 Looks so good!

Bama Girl — March 26, 2013 at 9:05 am

Hi Laurie! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I’m trying to avoid store bought sauces and such, so this will be a great replacement! Sounds delicious! Blessings from Bama!

Kerri Kalinski — March 26, 2013 at 9:23 am

I have everything except 2 ingredients.. I don’t have Tamari or white in vinegar…do you think I could use teriyaki sauce instead of Tamari? And I have white wine and I have a balsamic vingerar I could use instead..would any of these subs work or can either be omitted?

• simplyscratch replied: — March 26th, 2013 @ 9:35 am

I’m not quite certain teriyaki sauce would work, but you could definitely give it a whirl. Do you have soy sauce by chance?

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — March 26, 2013 at 9:25 am

Oh wow this sauce looks great and I will have to try it out soon!

Tieghan Gerard — March 26, 2013 at 9:32 am

My family (actually just my brothers) Slather their steak with sauce! I actually agree with you that really good steak should not need sauce, but this sauce looks so good!

Kathy — March 26, 2013 at 10:15 am

We don’t use a whole lot of steak sauce but we usually have it in the fridge. I had no idea you could make it from scratch! Awesome !

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — March 26, 2013 at 10:23 am

I had no idea I had everything on hand already to make this magical sauce. And I really don’t love the storebought stuff so this? This is life-changing.

Erin — March 26, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Wow! I’m a steak lover and I could never imagine that I can make a sauce out of scratch, until I read this recipe of yours. Thank you so much for sharing this. I will definitely try this out. Can’t wait!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — March 26, 2013 at 11:55 pm

I really want a steak now!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 27, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Incredible idea! This looks so mouthwateringly GOOD. Must, must try!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — March 27, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Wowza! Homemade sauces are simply the best!

Daisy Ray — March 28, 2013 at 12:07 pm

This looks great! I love steak sauce! I can’t wait to make this!

Don — March 28, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I sort of fall in the camp of never putting sauce on a really good steak. I have tried it in the past, and even with a really good sauce, it overwhelms the taste of the steak. Of course, I still have not learned to cook a really good steak the way the New York Steakhouses do – so this will still come in handy :)

Daniel Shaw — March 28, 2013 at 4:07 pm

The sauce looks amazing and very easy to make. I will definetly try it at home for my barbecue on weekends.

Aly Mashrah — April 6, 2013 at 12:34 am

We’re barbecue-ing tomorrow and I’m making this for our steak! (:

Jason — November 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm

The recipe says to “add in the dark brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire, tamari, water and mustard right on into that pot. ”

But the ingredient list doesn’t mention water.

Should it be there and if so, how much?

Thanks!

• simplyscratch replied: — November 23rd, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

Nice catch Jason! It’s a quarter cup of water… thanks for bringing that to my attention! :)

Jennifer — December 1, 2013 at 8:42 pm

How long will this sauce keep in the fridge? I would like to make some for Christmas gifts but don’t want it to spoil soon after. Thanks!

Katie — April 15, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Any answer on how long it keeps?
    Thanks!!:)

1. Pingback: Cornmeal Biscuits with Cheddar Jalapeno Butter | The Texan New Yorker

2. Pingback: 20 Handmade Father’s Day Gifts | Quite Bookish

3. Pingback: 35 Things You Should Be Making, Not Buying!

4. Pingback: Homemade BBQ Sauce | heavenlytrainride

5. Pingback: Adventures in the Punk DIY Kitchen: LImoncello and Steak Sauce | skullwoman

6. Pingback: Things you should be making from Home. Not buying. « Sustainability Longevity Stamina

7. Pingback: Griddled Steak Burgers with Jarlsberg + Sautéed Onions