Ribeye Steaks with Caramelized Shallot and Blue Cheese Butter

Today, I’m bustin’ out the big guns.

And when I say ‘big guns’ I mean steak and a crazy-delicious compound butter. I KNOW! On a MONDAYYYY… awwww-yeeeaaah!

Ribeye with Caramelized Shallots and Blue Cheese Butter 3

“Compound” butter is just some fancy term meaning throw a bunch of insane ingredients together in a bowl along with some softened butter and *poof* you’re officially gourmet and *BONUS!* you’ve just made a ridiculously delicious butter. Now, as you know… I’ve been known to make a compound butter now and again and I especially love it on toast, but now I’ve found a new use for it… on steak.

I know, I know it’s January and it’s hella cold outside and it’s definitely not usually the typical grilling season especially when you live in Michigan. But if you know anything about us Michiganders… it’s that we aren’t scurred of a little 23-degree-weather. In fact 23 is pretty warm for January.

Here’s how it all went down.

the stuff

I had this crazy idea after watching Tyler Florence make Ina Garten a super-thick, dry-aged steak that he broiled and then soaked in a gallon of butter. Now, yeah- all that is just a bit too much work for me, but butter and steak is something I so happen to love… so I kept it simple.

chopped thyme and sliced shallots

Start by roughly chopping a teaspoon of fresh thyme and slicing up two large shallots.

two tbs butter

In a small skillet melt two tablespoons of butter.

shallots in the pan

Drop in the shallots, stir and let them cook for a few… undisturbed.

caramelized

They should reach a deep golden and even get a little crispy, it’s all goooood.

thyme... S & P

Sprinkle in the chopped thyme and season with some freshly ground black pepper.

remove to cool

Let those flavors meld for a few minutes before removing the shallots to a plate to cool.

smashed butter

In a medium bowl, mash-up the softened butter.

blue cheese action!

Break up some of the blue cheese… I’m using Maytag.

Yeah… things just got real.

add the blue

Drop in about two tablespoons or so.

add shallots

Add in the caramelized shallots…

stir

And give it all a nice stir until the blue cheese is becoming one with the shallots that are becoming one with the butter. Now somebody hand me a cracker… forget that… how about a spoon??

plop

Plop the entire butter mixture in the center of a piece of parchment…

squeeze

Bring the edges of the paper together and roll the butter until it forms a tight log.

twist

Twist tight and pop it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to an hour.

steaks

In the meantime I pulled out the steaks and seasoned them with a little steak seasoning, and let them sit at room temperature to take the chill off before grilling.

cut butter

By now the steaks are on the grill and the butter is ready to be sliced into coins.

Ribeye with Caramelized Shallots and Blue Cheese Butter 3

What’s better than a perfectly cooked ribeye steak topped with caramelized shallot and blue cheese butter?

Ribeye with Caramelized Shallot and Blue Cheese Butter 2

Absolutely nothing.

I encourage all of you {even those who aren’t fans} to try this. My husband, is one of those non-blue-fans {except when it comes to this} and even HE loved this butter… like he ate almost all of it on his steak alone kind-of-love.

Hey it’s Monday… that’s reason enough to grill-up some steaks!

Ribeye with Caramelized Shallot & Blue Cheese Butter

Ribeye Steaks with Caramelized Shallots and Blue Cheese Butter

These perfectly grilled ribeye steaks are topped off with the most amazing butter chocked full of caramelized shallots and blue cheese. It's heaven on this Earth.

Yield: 1 cup

Prep Time: 20-25 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes for the butter to chill in the fridge

Total Time: 30 minutes

2 large Shallots, sliced

2 sticks of Softened Salted Butter, divided

1 to 2 tablespoons Good Blue Cheese {like Maytag!}

1 teaspoon Chopped Fresh Thyme

Black Pepper to taste

4 Seasoned Ribeye Steaks, grilled to perfection

In a small skillet over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of butter. Add in the shallots and cook slowly until they turn a deep golden in color.

Add in the chopped thyme and black pepper, stir and cook for a few more minutes before removing them to a plate to cool.

In a medium bowl, add the remaining butter, blue cheese and the cooled shallots. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated.

Plop all of loaded butter in the center of a piece of parchment. Bring the edges together and press with your fingers to form a log. Roll the parchment and twist the ends before popping the compound butter in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.

Once they've had some time in the fridge, remove and slice into coins and place a few on top of a perfectly grilled ribeye.

Enjoy!

Note: I like to bring my steaks up to room temperature before placing them on the grill. I season them with steak seasoning and grill them for a few minutes on a medium-high grill for 6-8 on each side (depending on their thickness} until they're medium to medium-well. Every grill is different so keep a good eye on them.

32 Responses to “Ribeye Steaks with Caramelized Shallot and Blue Cheese Butter”

Antonia @ Health Inspirations — January 21, 2013 at 9:46 am

This recipe is making me all excited for summer BBQs!!!! Can’t wait!!!!

Jenny @ BAKE — January 21, 2013 at 11:27 am

That butter sounds insanely good! I’m going to have to try it!

Alexandra — January 21, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Give this to me NOW! Laurie this looks amazing!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — January 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I want to make out with that compound butter.

Jason — January 21, 2013 at 4:50 pm

January or July it’s always grilling season to me! This looks rockin.

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — January 21, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I love putting flavored butters on steaks

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — January 21, 2013 at 6:07 pm

THAT BUTTER! I’m kind of dying over it.

• simplyscratch replied: — January 22nd, 2013 @ 6:41 am

Me too Katrina… me too ;)

Jessica Lowers — January 21, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I love steak. I love butter. Keep posting recipes like this and I’m sure to love you as well! Hee-hee! Thanks for yet another spectacular (and easy) recipe!

Jennifurla — January 21, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I’m in love with that first shot, my man would also LOVE this meal.

Cassie | Bake Your Day — January 21, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Now I’m craaaaving steak. I love the caramelized shallots!

Julie @ Table for Two — January 21, 2013 at 11:21 pm

dear god, i would love that slab of steak in front of me right now. you just gave me a huge craving for it.

Jackie — January 22, 2013 at 12:52 am

Hi Laurie

Is there another way to make these steaks, I do not have a grill.

Julie — January 22, 2013 at 2:21 am

I love compound butter! Compound butter + steak = brilliant idea!

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — January 22, 2013 at 2:48 am

This is totally heaven on earth! My husband would go crazy for this!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — January 22, 2013 at 2:54 am

If only we could take a little trip in the time machine back 20 years…you’d see me chomping on a stick of butter in my pudgy 5-year-old hands. As delicious as everything on that plate looks, I’m going bonkers over the compound butter! I bet it went amazing with each bite of steak!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 22nd, 2013 @ 6:43 am

ME too Julia! I’d always eat the butter right off my bake potato before it had a chance to melt! Butter and me are besties!

a farmer in the dell — January 22, 2013 at 4:03 am

wow! that compound butter. This is a game changer recipe for me! Thanks!!!

Paul — January 22, 2013 at 5:04 am

Wow! I am so looking forward to this week’s steak night (Wednesday)!

Beth C. — January 22, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Love compound butter! I like to make a bunch and keep it in the freezer. This one sounds particularly delish. But on toast?! Wow! never thought of that. Nope, not ever. And now, must try at once.

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — January 22, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Caramelized shallot BUTTER?!?!?! I am SO making this!

Carly — January 22, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Prior to reading this recipe yesterday, I had already set rib eyes out to thaw – it must have been fate! I made the butter and put it in the freezer for a quicker set while I cooked the steaks. I completely forgot about it until found the log in the freezer this morning while packing my lunch! It did smell wonderful but I will have to find another use for it this week! :)

Patricia @ ButterYum — January 22, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Oh my heavens – the hubs would swoon over this one… especially the bleu cheese butter. Fab photos too!! Pinning :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — January 22, 2013 at 11:31 pm

caramlized shallots in butter? Kind of drooling right now.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — January 29, 2013 at 6:21 am

Oh man, Jason is OBSESSED with rib-eye. He always request it with fries.

He will seriously be over the moon when I make this for him! That butter sounds to-die-for!

Michelle — February 5, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I love this! Any day is a good day for steak!

Jaceetoo — February 5, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Great recipe! My entire family is crazy about blue cheese – thanks for sharing!

Ali B. — February 7, 2013 at 7:36 pm

These were PHENOMENAL. You’re a genius. My husband thought I was a genius! Seriously great recipe.

• simplyscratch replied: — February 7th, 2013 @ 10:26 pm

So glad Ali! I know my hubs doesn’t even really like blue cheese and he totally dug this butter! High-five!

Ken Holloway — August 16, 2014 at 10:20 am

Loved your post, looks crazy good. Might be illegal in some states. Saving it and will definitely try it. I saw that episode with Ina and went nuts for that steak. OMG Definitely in the running for one of the most decadent things I have ever seen and your caramelized shallot and blue cheese butter is running a close second. Speaking of shallots, how do you make your Béarnaise and what do you like to put it on? Cheers

Sara Grotz — August 21, 2014 at 4:43 pm

How long does the compound butter last in the fridge?