In these super simple Italian Sub Sandwiches; soft Italian sub buns are split and filled with different italian meats and cheeses, crisp lettuce, ripe tomato and drizzled with a homemade Italian sub dressing. Serves 6 in under 30 minutes.
When I was pregnant with my first daughter, an old friend told me “Now’s the time you can eat whatever you want and get away with it!” Of course I took that person literally and so in 9 very short (yet very long) months I gained a lovely 72-lb’s. True story.
I called a good portion of that weight I gained “baby weight” and the rest “sub-weight”. Because one of the things that I ate on the regular was footlong Subway Subs. I think this was before the whole “watch-out-for-Listeria-thing” because I never knew otherwise. Who knows it was many years ago and as all us mother’s know that babies and small children suck your memory dry, which can be a blessing. Or in my case, a 72 pound blessing.
Where was I?
Subs. Right. I really don’t eat Subway at all anymore because I just don’t really care for them anymore. Too many while pregnant? Probably. However I do like this sub, a lot. Like so much that I want you to make them and tell me it’s better than Subway. Because I totally think it is.
To Make This Italian Sub Sandwich You Will Need:
- italian sub rolls
- homemade italian sub dressing
- italian meats
- any additional toppings your heart desires
For the meats we like using sandwich pepperoni, Genoa salami, sopressatta and hot Capocollo. And for the cheeses we prefer both Mozzarella and Provolone.
I have to stress to you why I prefer thinly slice meats, it’s important business because what is worse than biting into a sandwich and the whole center part slips out and slaps you on the chin. Not cool and definitely not pretty.
To make The Italian Sub Dressing You Will need:
- italian seasoning
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- red wine vinegar
- olive oil
First add 1 teaspoon grated garlic into a glass jar. Measure and add in the teaspoon of Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste), some freshly ground black pepper.
Lastly pour in 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar and 6 tablespoons of olive oil.
Give it all a good shake and set it off to the side so the flavors can mingle for a little bit.
Slice your sub buns in half horizontally.
Tear out some of the inner soft bread of each bun, leaving only a little behind.
Then drizzle some of the dressing on the inside of both sides of the bun.
Or drizzle a lot.
Now comes the layering part. I’m pretty methodical when it comes to sandwiches. Remember this one? I always slice the mozzarella and provolone in half. Place 2 halves of provolone on the top side of the sub bun and the 2 halves of mozzarella on the bottom. In the middle, layer with 3 slices sandwich pepperoni and 3 slices Genoa salami. Topping those with 2 slices each sopressata and capocollo.
Then top with lettuce, tomato and/or any other toppings you desire. I always sprinkle my tomato with salt and pepper. However I’m a salt LOVER so don’t add more if you don’t already know you love it.
The meat, for most normal people, is salty enough.
Serve with chips and a beer! because why not?
These Italian sub sandwiches are great tightly wrapped and packed for lunch, a picnic or to eat while strolling the aisles of Target while doing a little shopping. Not that I did that. However it’s not like I wouldn’t.
Italian Sub Sandwiches
FOR THE ITALIAN SUB DRESSING:
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic, about 1 medium clove
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoon olive oil
FOR THE ITALIAN SUB SANDWICHES:
- 6 soft Italian sub buns, sliced horizontally (not all the way through)
- 18 slices sliced sandwich pepperoni, or about 4 ounces
- 18 slices sliced Genoa salami, or about 4 ounces
- 12 slices sliced sopressata dry sausage, or about 3 ounces
- 12 slices sliced capocollo, or about 3 ounces
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese, cut in half
- 6 slices provolone cheese, cut in half
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- sliced tomato
MAKE THE DRESSING:
- In a medium glass jar add garlic, italian seasoning, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, vinegar and olive oil. Shake and set off to the side.
MAKE THE SUB:
- Cut the sub buns in half horizontally but leaving one side still attached. Tear out some of the soft bread in the center of each sub bun.
- Shake the sub dressing before spooning some of it on the inside of the sub bun.
- Place the mozzarella on the top side and the provelone on the bottom side of the sub bun. Layer the pepperoni, salami, sopressata and capocollo before topping with lettuce, tomato and any other desired toppings.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!