Whether it’s for topping pie, hot cocoa or strawberry shortcake, there’s nothing better than homemade whipped cream. Heavy cream is whipped with vanilla extract and sifted powdered sugar for the perfect dessert topping.
Homemade whipped cream is supreme.
If at all possible, I try to go the extra mile and make homemade whipped cream from scratch whenever serving dessert. When I was younger, I used to think making whipped cream was some hard elaborate orchestration. However, it’s quite the opposite! The 3 (!!!) ingredients are simple, the flavor and creamy luscious texture is incomparable. I’ll even let you in on a secret trick to making it fast!
As a kid, I loved watching the heavy cream transform in front of my eyes into billowy fluffy clouds. Still do actually. And I can’t imagine pie or strawberry shortcake without it.
To Make the Best Homemade Whipped Cream You Will Need:
- heavy whipping cream – Or heavy cream is a must. And it should be very cold.
- real vanilla extract – Gives the whipped cream subtle flavor.
- powdered sugar – For sweetening and flavor.
So what’s the trick to making the best whipped cream?
Chill the bowl! Place the mixing bowl and beater attachments into the freezer up until the moment desert is about to be served or at least 20-30 minutes prior to making the whipped cream. The theory is that the colder the bowl, the faster it will whip up, stay fluffy and cold. Brilliant!
Once chilled, fit the bowl into your mixer and pour in 2 cups heavy whipping cream
And add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Start the mixer on low speed and gradually increase to medium to medium-high.
Stop once the cream has slightly thickened.
Next add in 2 to 4 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar and again, start the mixer on low and increase the speed to high until thick. Personally I only add 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar, but add to taste.
Do not over mix.
That’s all folks!
Sweet and fluffy.
Dreamy and creamy.
Tips For Making Whipped Cream:
- Chill your mixing bowl for 30 minutes in the freezer prior to making.
- Use chilled heavy whipping cream or heavy cream.
- Add powdered sugar to taste. Start with 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and increase if desired.
- If serving on a hot day or want a more stable whipped cream, stabilize by adding 1 tablespoon marshmallow fluff.
Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar, sifted
- Place a metal or glass mixing bowl plus the whisk attacment into your freezer 20+ minutes before making whipped cream
- Once the bowl has chilled, place it into your stand mixer and pour in the heavy cream and vanilla. Start whisking on low speed and gradually increase the speed to high.
- When the whipped cream has thickened but isn't too thick yet, add in the sifted powdered sugar.
- Start on low speed and gradually increase the speed to high until the cream is think and forms stiff peaks.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!