Grilled Fresh Green Beans

Yup. Grilled green beans.

They’re like the new French Fry. Okay so not quite, buy almost. Can we pretend?

Grilled Fresh Green Beans ll www.SimplyScratch.com

I’ve been getting a lot of use out of my steamer basket lately. Grilled zucchini, summer squash and asparagus are the usual suspects, but last week I grilled some beans.

discard ends and place beans in strainer

I’ve always loved fresh green beans. I can eat them uncooked, plain Jane… not a problem. But these grilled beans are so easy and delicious I just had to share. Three ingredients and a grill, baby.

Now scroll on down and feast your eyes on some green.

stuff

Three ingredients are all you’ll need. Beans, olive oil {I’m sporting garlic infused} and a good season salt. Aren’t these some pretty beans? And Pat wonders why I spend 15 minutes hand selecting each and every one, seriously… 15 minutes.

grilling basket

First, I preheated my grill and grill basket to the hottest it can go before I prepped the beans.

trim

Trim…

rinse

Rinse under cold water…

dry beans

Then towel dry those beans. PS… you can always rinse, pat dry and then trim as it really makes no difference at all ;).

garlic olive oil

Throw the beans into a shallow bowl and drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil. I’m using garlic… because garlic makes everything better. Except maybe cupcakes… and date nights.

toss

Sprinkle with a good amount of that season salt and then toss those babies all around until coated.

start to grill

Throw them directly into the hot grill basket and reduce the temp down to medium/ medium-high. Close the lid for a few, but don’t stray too far. Toss them around every few minutes until the bean-skin forms a delicious char.

Grilled Fresh Green Beans l www.SimplyScratch.com

What? That’s it?!

I know. Pretty darn easy annnnd on a Monday… are we best friends now or WHAT?

Grilled Fresh Green Beans lll www.SimplyScratch.com

The moment I was done shooting 75 million pictures of these beans grilling these here beans, my oldest daughter and I sat down and chowed down, like these were the last green beans on earth. I do have to give her credit for the “next French Fry” line… she’s my vegetable eater, can ya tell? Oh and PPS… I’m capitalizing both f’s… because I can.

Gah! I love these beans! Sometimes it’s the simple recipes in life that can be the most delicious.

Enjoy!

Grilled Fresh Green Beans ll www.SimplyScratch.com

Grilled Fresh Green Beans

Beans on the grill... nothing better than that!

Yield: 4-6 servings

Cook Time: 10-12 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Green Beans {about a pound, I never weigh them}

1 tablespoon Olive Oil {try garlic infused, YUM!}

A few grinds of a good quality seasoning salt {I'm madly in LOVE with Simply Organics 'Grind to a Salt'}

You'll Also Need:

A grilling Basket

A Grill {uh-duh}

Preheat the grill basket and grill on the hottest setting.

Trim off the stem-end on the green beans. Place them in a colander, rinse under cold water and then pat dry.

Toss the trimmed green beans in a tablespoon of olive oil and the seasoning salt.

Place the green beans into the hot grill basket and immediately reduce the temperature to medium/medium-high heat.

Close the lid, but keep a watchful eye on them and toss them every couple of minutes until the skin starts to blister and char. Remove and serve immediately.

Enjoy!

38 Responses to “Grilled Fresh Green Beans”

Coleens Recipes — June 24, 2013 at 4:24 am

I love grilled vegetables, but I’ve never tried green beans; they look delicious!!!

Tieghan Gerard — June 24, 2013 at 6:35 am

These look like some of the best green beans I have ever seen. Grilling veggies is on the best ideas around and these green beans look perfect!

Aparna B. — June 24, 2013 at 8:10 am

These looks amazing, Laurie! I am so excited to see more summer-grilled recipes from you! I love this season! :)

• simplyscratch replied: — June 26th, 2013 @ 8:22 pm

Thank you Aparna! Xo

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — June 24, 2013 at 9:17 am

Note to Self: I need a grilling basket!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 26th, 2013 @ 8:23 pm

Liz… I love my Pampered Chef one, my MIL got it for me and I use it all the time!

Jaclyn — June 24, 2013 at 10:32 am

I love green beans…now I’m going to run out and get some to grill for dinner!

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee — June 24, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I love green beans but I alwayssss steam them… how boring! What a great idea to grill them!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 26th, 2013 @ 8:22 pm

Me too! Steam or blanch and crisp in bacon fat {always a winner} but grilling them has changed my life!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — June 24, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I adore green beans! How on Earth have I never grilled them before! DOH! I will be changing that this week:)

• simplyscratch replied: — June 26th, 2013 @ 8:20 pm

I thought the same thing… so I’ve made them three times in two weeks! obsessed much… uh yeahHH!

Rachel (teacher-chef) — June 24, 2013 at 12:33 pm

YUM – this would be totally amazing to go with the Salmon Cakes I just made. I did a boiled/blanched Green Beans with Dill Mustard Vinaigrette, but this grilled variation sounds totally perfect!!!

Nikki @Seeded at the Table — June 24, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I’ve always wondered how grilled green beans would turn out, and now I know! I’m SO doing this this week! Great for the tot, too! :)

• simplyscratch replied: — June 26th, 2013 @ 8:19 pm

YAY! You’re gonna love them Nikki!

jennifurla — June 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

so simple and tasty I bet

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — June 24, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I absolutely luuurrvvee green beans but I hardly ever keep them in the house! Why is this? Gonna add them to my list and grill ‘em up next chance I get!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — June 24, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I’ve never grilled beans, fab idea!

Julie @ Table for Two — June 24, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Gorgeous green beans and I love that you made them on the grill!!

Maria — June 24, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Great side dish-perfect for any meal!

Jeanne (NanaBread) — June 25, 2013 at 9:35 am

We’ve been ‘grilled veggie obsessed’ this summer! Squash, mushrooms, peppers, onions, corn, green beans, eggplant, pineapple – you name it, we’ve grilled it. These green beans are going on the list. Nothing beats that little bit of blistery char on the outside of just about everything. And I agree – sometimes the simplest of things taste the very best. Yum!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 26th, 2013 @ 8:18 pm

You said it perfectly Jeanne!! A little bit of char is the best and I LOVE grilled pineapple!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — June 25, 2013 at 11:53 am

Grilled green beans are a must at our house in the summer!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 26th, 2013 @ 8:17 pm

Our house now too! Love Love Love them!

Betsey Swaringen — June 25, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Wow! I love asparagus but I’ve never tried doing this. This can be a great snack as a good substitute for french fries. I can’t wait to try this. Thanks a lot! :-)

• simplyscratch replied: — June 26th, 2013 @ 8:17 pm

Go for it Betsey! Theyre not quite as crispy as a french fry… but equally deeeelicious, if not more ;) !

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — June 25, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I love fresh green beans, never thought of grilling them before – genius!

MARCIA — June 26, 2013 at 9:08 am

Trying this today. Love your recipes. My fave: The best chicken parm ever. It really is!!!

Patricia — June 26, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Never thought of this, great idea, delicious and healthy, goodbye french fries, welcome green beans :)

Julia — June 27, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I love grilling vegetables but haven’t done green beans–great idea! I must try this!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — July 12, 2013 at 11:23 am

Im always looking for different sides to grill! Love green beans! Cant wait to try these next time!

Daryl — April 25, 2014 at 1:52 pm

So everyone only PLANS on making them but no one did? Did they not turn out? was it an awful recipe? All I want to know isthe time on the grill so I can fit it in with the grilled trout and vegetable brown rice!!!!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 25th, 2014 @ 1:54 pm

Hi Daryl… It’s about 8-10 minutes.

Jim — May 13, 2014 at 4:17 pm

If you don’t have a grill, use frozen green beans in a saute pan with no oil. salt and pepper to taste, and cook them over medium/high heat until they just start to blacken in spots.

1. Pingback: 2104 CSA Week 15 | White Oak Pastures