Ranch Water is a light and refreshing adult beverage that’s perfect when enjoyed on a hot summer day! This recipe serves 2 servings but can be doubled or tripled to serve more.
What is ranch water?
Ranch water is three ingredient cocktail made of tequila, fresh lime juice and mineral water served over ice. It’s extremely light, effervescent and refreshing. And if you are watching your sugar intake, this is a great cocktail you can enjoy as there is no added sweetener. Although if you do like a sweeter cocktail, I suppose you could add it.
I’ve read that it originated in West Texas and that the drink was created for thirsty cowboys who wanted water, but also wanted it spiked.
Simple and quick to make so you can kick back, relax and enjoy.
To Make Ranch Water You Will Need:
- ice – To keep your drink icy cold.
- tequila (blanco/silver) – Casamigos is my go-to tequila. Espolon is another great tequila.
- lime juice – Has to be freshly squeezed.
- Topo Chico – Some feel strongly that Topo Chico mineral water is nonnegotiable – and I agree.
Grab two highball glasses.
Fill to the top with ice.
Pour in 3 ounces tequila into each glass.
Next pour in 1-1/2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice into each glass as well.
Then top off with mineral water.
Do I Need To Use Topo Chico to Make Ranch Water?
Yes! And also no. Topo Chico is superior when it comes to mineral water. It’s light and effervescent bubbles make every sip pure joy. Plus there are folks who feel strongly that this is the only way to make this drink authentic. However is it critical? I don’t believe so. For a while I couldn’t seem to find Topo Chico in the stores near me, so I swapped. And although I could tell the difference, others may not.
Drop in a few slices of lime as garnish and sit back and relax.
What is the Difference Between Ranch Water and a Margarita?
Margarita has agave or a simple syrup for sweetening the drink and also typically calls for an orange liqueur (Cointreau) whereas Ranch Water does not. Ranch water also calls for mineral water. The added carbonation gives this drink delicious mouthfeel and lightens the cocktail significantly.
Ranch Water Recipe Variations:
- Use jalapeño infused tequila or muddle a few jalapeño slices in the bottom of the glass for a spicy version.
- Rim your glass with Tajin (chile-lime salt).
- Make it extra lime-y by using Topo Chico Twist of Lime.
- Make it grapefruit-y by adding a splash of grapefruit juice and use Topo Chico Twist of Grapefruit mineral water.
- Make it tangerine by swapping adding a splash of Cointreau and using Topo Chico Twist of Tangerine mineral water.
- 6 ounces tequila blanco
- 3 ounces lime juice, freshly squeezed
- Topo Chico (mineral water), to taste
- Fill 2 highball glasses full of ice.
- Divide tequila and lime juice among glasses.
- Top with Topo Chico and serve with slices of lime.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!