Italian Sub Sandwiches

When I was pregnant with my first daughter, somebody told me “Now’s the time you can eat whatever you want and get away with it!” Of course I took that person literally… and so in 9 short months I gained a lovely 72 L-B’s. True story.

I called a good portion of that weight I gained “baby weight” and the rest “sub-weight”.  Because one of the things that I ate constantly was footlong Subway Subs. I think this was before the whole “watch-out-for-Listeria-thing” or maybe I just ignored my doctor? Who knows it was 11 years ago and as all us mother’s know babies and children suck out your memory, which can be a blessing… a 72lb blessing.

Where was I?

Subs. Right. I really don’t eat Subway at all anymore because I just don’t really like them… BUT I do like this sub, like a lot. Like so much that I want you to make them and tell me it’s better than Subway. Because it soooo is. C’mon tell me.

It’s pretty simple math. Crusty bread, stacked array of meats and cheese, peppers and a garlicky Italian dressing. But it’s a sub you won’t forget. It’s subtastic. Sorry.

For the meats… we have thinly sliced, turkey, Genoa salami and Capocollo. For the cheeses it’s Mozzarella and Provolone. I have to stress to you why I prefer thinly slice meats, it’s important business… because what I HATE more than anything is biting into a sandwich and the whole center part slides out and slaps you on the chin. Not cool and definitely not pretty.

Movin’ on to the dressing. If you like things on the heavy garlic side use 4 cloves otherwise use two.

Take each clove and press it in a garlic press {or finely mince with a knife}.

Press all those cloves so that the garlic falls into a glass jar.

Measure and add in the teaspoon of oregano…

Then the half teaspoon of kosher salt…

And a quarter teaspoon of black pepper.

Add in a 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar…

Annnnnd a third cup of olive oil.

Give it all a good shake and set it off to the side so the flavors can mingle for a little bit.

Slice up a few peppers.

And finely shred up some iceberg lettuce.

And now it’s time to build a sandwich. Take a loaf of Italian or French bread. This 16 ounce loaf is about two feet long and will feed four people easily.

First, divide the loaf in half and then half again.

Slice each quarter horizontally and remove the inner part of each loaf, leaving only the crust or shell of the loaf.

Then drizzle some of the dressing on the inside of the loaf.

Now comes the layering part. I’m pretty methodical when it comes to sandwiches. Remember this one? And so this is how I do it. A few slices of capocollo, turkey, salami and then provolone.

Peppers. Don’t forget those! My husband and I both like thinly sliced red onion on our subs too.

Then I repeat with capocollo, turkey, salami and then Mozzarella.

Top with a little lettuce and then boom… serve with chips {and beer!}

Or you could wrap them tightly and pack for lunch or for a picnic or to eat while strolling the isles of Target while doing a little Christmas shopping. Not that I did that… but it’s not like I wouldn’t. I mean maybe if I was hungry, because a girl needs to eat, no?

Italian Sub Sandwich

A super easy classic sub. Eat right away or tightly wrap and pack for lunch or a picnic!

Yield: 4 servings

4 Slices of Mozzarella Cheese

4 Slices of Provolone Cheese

Sliced Red and Green Bell Pepper

1 cup Shredded Iceberg Lettuce

Thinly Sliced Red Onion {optional}

Black Olives {optional}

FOR THE DRESSING: In a medium sized Mason jar add pressed garlic cloves, oregano, salt, pepper, vinegar and olive oil. Shake and let it sit on the counter to get the flavors mingling.

FOR THE SUB: Divide the loaf into 4 portions. Cut each portion in half lengthwise (but not all the way through) and tear out the centers of each loaf, leaving the shell of the bread.

Stir the Italian dressing again before drizzling a little bit of the dressing all over the inside of each loaf.

Layer the a few slices of Capocollo, turkey, salami and then Provolone. Top with two slices of peppers and then repeat the meat layer again. Top that with a slice of Mozzarella and a 1/4 cup of lettuce.

Serve and enjoy!

22 Responses to “Italian Sub Sandwiches”

Amanda — December 3, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I love subs and this would make for an easy dinner. Thanks Laurie!

Rachel Cooks — December 3, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I thought subway was healthy? ;)

These look amazing— wayyyyy better than Subway. Especially that dressing!

Alex — December 3, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Hot damn these look good!

Mandie @ Oh So Decadent — December 3, 2012 at 4:42 pm

When you said you hated it when the innerds of subs fall out and hit you in the face, I instantly imagined that heartburn medication commercial where the food slaps them in the face. I laughed out loud, and then cried because I am in public.

But I know what you mean! I have the same problem with my addiction to Quickchek subs. I always get the Classic Italian sub and I love it. This sounds better! I might need to make these every day for the rest of my life. And I’m not kidding about that!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — December 3, 2012 at 4:43 pm

ahh this made me laugh…I crave and am CONSTANTLY eating Italian Sandwiches with this pregnancy! I love the dressing on this..Im definitely going to have to try it!

Jess — December 3, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Sub-weight! BahahaHA!!! Great post Laurie!

Jenny @ BAKE — December 3, 2012 at 5:12 pm

these are my boyfriends favourite sub! I can’t wait to surprise him with this!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — December 3, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I hear you on the weight gain! It was about 40 lbs and now I get to battle the lovely stretch marks on the belly. UUGHHH!!! This looks amazing!

Megan | Eats Daily — December 3, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I LOVE Italian subs! These look great, I like the sound of turkey added to it. I usually eat mine with pepperoni instead of turkey, minus the lettuce…add a TON of pickles and a little oil for the dressing. And I always have to have one with a side of salt and vinegar chips. Mmmmhm.

Rebecca W. — December 3, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I just picked everything up to make these! I’m gonna gain me some “sub-weight!” Haha!

Melissa M. — December 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Oh, wow! That looks fantastic! My husband usually takes leftovers for work, but sometimes I make him sandwiches. I’m headed to market today to buy the ingredients for this yummy looking sub. Thank you!

Hannah Cosmuto — December 4, 2012 at 1:21 pm

This is why I love your blog! Perfect!!

Denise — December 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Okay. You have done your job. I am at a conference where I should be paying attention. Instead I am reading my RSS feed and I see this. Thanks for making me hungry!! ~ Denise

Nichole Bertucci — December 4, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Great post – the sub looks fantastic! Your story brings back memories; good ones :-)

Marvin Santos — December 4, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Just made it. Amazing!!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — December 4, 2012 at 6:59 pm

This looks so much better than Subway – love the dressing!

Julia — December 4, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I actually don’t like Subway either (my husband loves it)..I am more of a Potbelly girl because they grill them and have a variety of toppings! These subs looks so yummy! You have inspired me to make subs one of these weekends. :)

Katie | The Hill Country Cook — December 5, 2012 at 9:41 pm

WHOA. Like WHOA. Remember Bam Margera from MTV and his dad Phil that liked subs? For a girl that LOVES her some Subway (me) – my mouth. is . watering. And I LOVE the homemade vinaigrette. I’ve also found these GOOD pepper relishes, called Wickles, kinda spicy. LOVE IT. I’m SO making this this week. YUM-O. muchas gracias.

Bev @ Bev Cooks — December 6, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Dying.

Patrice — April 27, 2013 at 12:25 am

Made this tonight for quick (and late) dinner for me and my little one. Used salami, pepperoni, and the capocollo, and your AMAZING dressing. But also added mayo, lettuce, onion, and black olives. Soooo good! Thanks for sharing this recipe. The mayo helped make it kid approved! LOL

• simplyscratch replied: — April 27th, 2013 @ 10:35 am

I love that you added all those goodies!

julie — September 7, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Made ur sandwich for football Sunday everything the same with ur dressing added ham and mortadella!! I’ll be making those for the rest of my life now!!! The tried and true!