Make healthy Baked Apple Chips at home! Save money and calories by baking thinly sliced apples, low and slow in your oven. Enjoy as a snack or add to oatmeal, granola, soups and salads (and more!).
Baked apple chips are super easy to make at home.
Thinly sliced apples are baked at a low temperature for a few hours in your oven. Yes, it’s really that easy! Homemade baked apple chips are a delicious, naturally sweet snack. However, there are several other ways you can enjoy them. From drinks and desserts to soups and salads – the options are nearly endless.
So forget store-bought all you need is a couple apples and a couple of hours.
The best apples for making apple chips are:
- golden delicious
- pink lady
Preheat your oven to 200°.
Thinly slice the desired amount of apples. Two small to medium apples will fit on 2 standard, rimmed baking sheet pans.
For apple chips, you want the apples to be about 2-1/2 millimeters thick. The more uniform the thickness, the more evenly they will bake. I’ve linked to the mandolin slicer I have and love.
Next, toss the apples slices in the juice of 1/2 lemon (or lime works too). This is optional, but I found it does help keep them from overly browning.
Line a rimmed metal baking sheet and arrange the apple slices in an even layer.
Bake for 1 hour. After the first hour, use oven mitts to remove the pans from the oven. Careful flip each apple slice.
Bake for another hour.
If after 2 hours, the apples are firm but still a little bit soft, they can crisp up out of the oven while cooling. However, if the apple slices are too thick, they will need longer. I recommend to continue baking at 15 minute increments.
6 Ways To Use Baked Apple Chips:
- Steep a slice or two with your favorite tea or mulled beverage.
- Add as a garnish to your favorite fall flavored soup, like homemade squash soup, roasted ginger carrot soup or curried apple butternut squash soup.
- Crumble over ice cream or yogurt.
- Break up and add to your favorite granola.
- Use in your favorite salad for texture and subtle sweetness.
Crispy Baked Apple Chips
- 2 medium apples, see notes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, optional
- a few pinches of ground cinnamon, optional
- Preheat your oven to 200° and line 2 rimmed, metal baking pans with a silicone mat or parchment.
- Thinly slice the apples (no more than 2.5 millimeters thick) into a bowl.
- Squeeze lemon juice over top and toss to coat. This step is optional.
- On the prepared pans, arrange apple slices in an even layer.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 1 hour. Use oven mitts to remove the pans.
- Carefully flip each apple slice and bake for another hour.
- If after 2 hours, the apples are firm but still a little bit soft, they can crisp up out of the oven while cooling. However, if the apple slices are too thick, they will need longer in the oven. I recommend to continue baking at 15 minute increments.
or pink lady.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!