In these Chicken Street Tacos, cooked finely minced chicken seasoned with a homemade street taco seasoning is tucked into toasty corn tortillas and topped with a simple onion salsa. Serves 6 (3 tacos each).
Story time! It all started last year with carry-out from a local restaurant. At the time they had just recently opened, so naturally Pat and I ordered a little bit of everything from the menu ($87 in Mexican food for 2 people lol! SO much food!) and one of those things being chicken street tacos. I immediately took note of the simplicity: street taco corn tortillas, diced chicken, onions and cilantro. And from that moment I spent the last year perfecting this recipe.
So yes, I’ve been waiting a whole year to share this recipe.
The only things I do differently from what was visually apparent in my takeout container is that I do not use those little “street taco” tortillas because they don’t hold squat. And over time “onions and cilantro” has turned into an epic onion pico de gallo or salsa by adding garlic, jalapeño and lime juice. With that said, you can enjoy these as is or add other toppings if desired. I like to keep it simple, maybe add hot sauce and guac. Pat likes to add lettuce and cheese to his. It’s a chose your own adventure of sorts.
So ridiculously delicious and so simple!
To Make These Chicken Street Tacos You Will Need:
for the onion salsa:
- white onion
- kosher salt
- lime juice
for the tacos:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- street taco seasoning
- kosher salt
- corn taco shells
- any other desired toppings
Start by adding 1 large finely diced white onion to a bowl with, 1 to 2 diced jalapeños (remove the seeds and ribs if you want less heat), 1 large handful cilantro finely minced, 1 minced large clove garlic with a generous pinch of kosher salt.
Lastly, squeeze in the juice of 1 lime.
Toss to combine and set off to the side.
Next mince up 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts and 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs. Finely dicing the chicken does take the longest to prep, about 25 minutes, however the rest of this recipe is super fast and easy, I promise. A sharp knife does make this task much easier.
I have made these with just chicken breasts with success. However chicken thighs just add that something-something.
Next, season with 2-1/2 tablespoons street taco seasoning.
Toss well until the chicken is coated evenly.
Next spray a large skillet with olive oil or avocado oil spray and heat on medium-high heat.
Once hot, add in all of the seasoned chicken and spread into an even layer.
Stir occasionally until fully cooked and browned in spots. About 12 to 15 minutes or so. Taste and season with more salt.
Meanwhile, heat a large griddle over high. Spray with olive oil and heat up a bunch of corn tortillas. I totally forgot to take a photo of this step!
Fill the toasty corn tortillas with the street taco chicken and top with the onion salsa.
Click Here To make My Easy Beef Street Tacos!
Chicken Street Tacos
FOR THE ONION SALSA:
- 1 large white onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced (remove seeds and ribs for less heat)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 handful cilantro, minced
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 lime, juiced
FOR THE CHICKEN STREET TACOS:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2½ tablespoons street taco seasoning
- olive oil spray, or avocado oil spray
- 18 soft corn tortillas
MAKE THE ONION SALSA:
- In a medium bowl, add onion, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, salt and lime juice.
- Toss to combine and set off to the side.
MAKE THE TACOS:
- Using a sharp chefs knife, finely mince the chicken and add to a large bowl. This takes about 25 to 30 minutes. Season with street taco seasoning and toss to combine.
- Spray a large 12-inch skillet with olive oil or avocado oil spray over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in the seasoned chicken and spread into an even layer. Cook, stirring occasionally until no longer pink and fully cooked. About 12 to 15 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
Warm The Shells:
- Meanwhile, heat a large griddle on high and lightly spray with olive or avocado oil spray. Once hot, gently warm and toast the corn tortillas. Fill the tortillas with the street taco chicken and top with the onion salsa and any other desired toppings.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!