These Easy Beef Street Tacos are simple yet so flavorful. Finely minced skirt steak is cooked with onions and stuffed into toasted corn shells and topped with white onion and lots of cilantro. Serves 6 in about 30 minutes.
Flip the script on #tacotuesday with these EASY beef street tacos!
Toasted corn tortillas are filled with tender and perfectly seasoned skirt steak and simple toppings like: lots of dice white onion and even more cilantro. Street tacos aren’t supposed to be complicated. You can add tomato, lettuce…whatever. I prefer mine with just onion and cilantro with a drizzle of hot sauce or salsa.
The simpler the better.
To Make These Beef Street Tacos You Will Need:
- olive oil – I like extra light. Something that has a high smoke point and is light in flavor.
- skirt steak – or try flank steak!
- yellow onion
- ground chipotle powder
- chili powder
- cumin – toasted (if you can find it)
- kosher salt
- white corn tortillas
- white onion
- hot sauce or salsa
- diced tomato, optional
Start by finely mincing 1-1/4 pounds skirt (or flank) steak. A sharp knife will make this job so much easier.
Drizzle 2 teaspoons olive oil into a 12-inch deep sided skillet and heat on medium high heat. Once hot, add in the minced skirt steak and 1 small finely diced yellow onion.
Stir, cook and until the pink is almost all traces of pink are gone. Measure and add in the 3/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste.
Stir and cook until the steak is no longer pink.
This meat is so tender and extremely flavorful. You could use it in so many ways; on nachos, in a salad or stuffed into tacos.
While the meat is cooking, I quickly toast the shells in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. I’m not sure if this is a known thing, but I only toast mine only on one side so it will stay flexible. If both sides are toasted it makes it harder to fold/work with.
Fill with a few spoonfuls of the meat mixture and top with lots of diced white onion and cilantro. From here on out, you can top with whatever your heart desires.
Get. In. My. Belly.
Easy Beef Street Tacos
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1¼ pounds skirt steak, finely minced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 3/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, toasted if you can find it
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 white corn tortillas
- 2 small bunches cilantro, finely minced
- 1 white onion, finely minced
ADDITIONAL (optional) TOPPINGS:
- hot sauce or salsa
- diced tomatoes
- jalapeño, minced
- finely sliced iceberg lettuce
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in the minced steak and onion. Stir and cook until almost all traces of pink are gone.
- Measure and add in the chipotle powder, chili powder, cumin and salt. Stir and cook until the steak is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, heat a smaller skillet (cast iron, stainless or nonstick) over medium-high heat. Toast one side of the corn tortillas and palce it on a towel lined plate and cover with half of the towel. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Fill the corn tortillas with a few spoonfuls of meat and top with cilantro and white onion. Feel free to drizzle with your favorite hot sauce, salsa or toppings you wish.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!