Mexican Sweet Corn Cake is a side dish commonly served at Mexican restaurants. It’s sweet and buttery, flecked with sweet corn pieces and is ridiculously moist. It makes a great addition to any Mexican meal and also goes really well in chili. Serves 6 to 8.
Have you’ve had Mexican Sweet Corn Cake before?
I remember the first time I had this sweet, delicious and amazing creation. It was years ago when my husband and I went to a Mexican restaurant and we ordered fajitas for two (as we normally do) and on the too-small-of-plate were these two little balls of yellow stuff. I picked at it with my fork and then tasted it. I immediately asked our waitress: “Um excuse me!? What is this and how can I get a bowl of it?”
It’s seriously so so good!
Needless to say, I had to recreate it at home. Now I can enjoy
this entire pan sweet corn cake without driving 50 minutes just to get two measly mounds of it on a teeny-tiny plate.
To Make This Mexican Sweet Corn Cake You Will Need:
- masa harina (corn flour)
- yellow cornmeal
- baking powder
- fine salt (sea or Himalayan)
- sweet corn (thawed if frozen)
- unsalted butter
- heavy cream
Preheat your oven to 350°
In a mixing bowl, measure and add 2/3 cup masa harina, 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, 2/3 cup sugar (I’m using cane sugar but white granulated is fine too), 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon fine salt.
Whisk well to combine.
Next add in 1 cup sweet corn that has been roughly chopped. You can do this either by placing the thawed corn on a cutting board and use a knife to chop, or pulse a few times in a personal blender or mini food processor.
Next pour in 2 sticks (1 cup) melted unsalted butter, 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup heavy cream.
Stir well to combine.
Pour the batter into an non-greased 2-quart oven safe baking dish, tap it a few times so the top evens out.
Cover tightly with foil and bake on the middle rack for 1 hour.
NOTE: Alternatively, you can place this baking dish into a larger baking dish and fill the larger casserole dish 1/3 of the way with water (i.e. a water bath) and carefully slide into your oven. This keeps the corn cake from browning or crisping and will give you a less crumbly texture. It all depends on what you prefer.
Carefully remove the foil from the pan and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
I like to use a ice cream or batter scoop.
I mean just look at that texture! So good.
This is exactly what sweet corn cake should look like, except maybe with 15 extra scoops or something.
This is so easy and I promise you everyone will love this.
No if you’ll excuse me I have some leftover Mexican Sweet Corn Cake to annihilate.
Mexican Sweet Corn Cake
- 2/3 cup masa harina, (corn flour)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup sweet corn, roughly chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup water, plus more for water bath
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream, or whole milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- In a mixing bowl, measure and add masa harina, yellow cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and fine salt. Whisk to combine.
- Next add in the sweet corn that has been roughly chopped.You can do this either by placing the thawed corn on a cutting board and use a knife to chop, or pulse a few times in a personal blender or mini food processor.
- Lastly add in melted unsalted butter, water and heavy cream. Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into an (un-greased) 2-quart oven safe baking dish. Tap it a few times so the top evens out.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 1 hour, rotating halfway through baking.ORCover tightly with foil and place the dish into a 9x13 baking dish and then fill up the larger pan 1/3 of the way with water and bake for 1 hour. This keeps the corn cake from browning and will give you a less crumbly texture. It all depends on what you prefer.
- Once baked, let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Use a spoon or ice cream scoop to dish and serve the sweet corn cake.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!