Caramel Apple Slab Pie is a fun twist to traditional apple pie. A homemade pie crust is filled with tender, cinnamon and vanilla Granny Smith apples and topped with a brown sugar oat crumble. Served with a generous drizzle of homemade caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. This recipe serves 12.
Slab pie has to be the easiest of the pies.
The difference between traditional pie and slab pies is that slab pies are made in a 9×13 jelly roll pan instead of a round pie plate. Not to mention, there’s no pinching or crimping and as far as serving? SO much easier.
Flaky homemade pie crust, sweet cinnamon and vanilla apples topped with a crisp oatmeal crumb topping. Served with a drizzle of caramel sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Doesn’t get much better than this.
To Make This Caramel Apple Slab Pie You Will Need:
- pie dough
- old fashioned oats
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- kosher salt
- unsalted butter
- granny smith apples
- lemon juice
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- caramel sauce
- vanilla ice cream for serving
Start by making the crumb topping by measuring 1 cup old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon both kosher salt and cinnamon to a bowl.
Mix well to combine and pour in 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter.
Once combined, set off to the side.
Next, peel, core and slice 4 pounds Granny Smith apples.
In a large, deep sided skillet, heat over medium-high and add in the butter. It should sizzle.
Add in all of the sliced apples.
Toss the apples in the butter and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add in the juice of 1/2 a lemon (about 1 tablespoon), 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
Stir to combine. Increase the heat to high, stirring often until the juices slightly thicken. About 1 to 2 minutes. Remove off of the heat and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Transfer the apples to a rimmed metal baking sheet and allow to cool completely.
Remove the chilled dough from the fridge.
On a clean floured surface. Roll the dough out roughly 12 x15 rectangles and transfer it to a 9 x 13 x 1 jelly roll pan. Trim off excess dough, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Fold the dough behind itself. Chill until the apples have cooled.
Meanwhile preheat your oven to 400°.
Place the apples in to the chilled pie dough.
Sprinkle the crumb topping overtop of the apples and bake on the lowest rack of your preheated oven for 20 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 375° , rotate the pan and continue baking for 15 to 20 more minutes. Or until the filling is bubbling and the crumb topping is golden brown.
Allow the pie to cool completely before serving.
To serve, drizzle with caramel sauce.
Top each slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and extra caramel.
With Thanksgiving less than a week away, do you have your dessert(s) planned out? If not, I’ve got you covered.
Caramel Apple Slab Pie
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-2 dashes ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
FOR THE PIE:
- 1 recipe for [homemade pie dough]
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 pounds granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
PEPARE THE CRUMB TOPPING:
- In a medium mixing bowl, measure and add oats, flour, brown sugar and salt. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the melted butter and stir to incorporate. Set aside.
MAKE THE PIE:
- Prepare the dough and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a large, deep skillet over high medium-heat. Once hot add in butter (it should sizzle) and swirl the pan to coat with butter. Add in the apple slices, use a spatula to toss and coat. Cover and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Next add in lemon juice, vanilla, granulated sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine. Increase the heat to high, stirring often until the juices slightly thicken. About 1 to 2 minutes.
- Immediately transfer the apple filling to a large, rimmed baking sheet. Spread out evenly and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, on a floured surface, roll your pie crust out to roughly a 12 x 15 rectangle to fit a 9 x 13 x 1-inch jelly roll pan. Trim the over hang and fold the edges behind itself.
- Chill the crust while preheating your oven to 400°.
- Once your oven has preheated, pour the cooled apples into the chilled pie shell. Spread evenly with a spatula before scattering the oatmeal crumb topping over top.
- Bake on the lowest rack of your preheated 400° oven for 20 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 350°, rotate the pan and bake for 15 minutes. Rotate the pan once more and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Or until the filling is bubbling and the crum topping and crust is golden.
- Remove and allow to cool before serving.
- Serve drizzled with caramel sauce and scoops of vanilla ice cream.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!