Grilled Salmon with Lemon Dill Butter

This grilled salmon is topped with a lemon dill butter that melts and instantly coats the tender salmon in so much fresh and delicious flavor.

Salmon doesn’t happen often in this household.

Grilled Salmon with Lemon Dill Butter l SimplyScratch.com

Mainly because my husband isn’t so much a fan, like at all. My girls and I LOVE it and we probably could eat it at least once a week. Maybe even twice a week… mayyyyybe. So whenever we have dinner just the three of us, nine times out of ten… salmon is on the menu.

Have you grilled salmon before? This was a first for me, but it’s sort of been on my bucket list. For so long now the fear of salmon sticking and then breaking apart and falling down into the pits of my grill always has kept me from just going for it. I knew that I needed to just grow a pair and get over it already. So I picked up a big slab of salmon and ummmm… grew a pair.

This entire meal is super easy and like any good recipe… it all starts with butter.

butter in a bowl

Throw a stick of softened butter in a bowl.

mash

With a spoon or spatula, mash it up real good.

lemon zest

Zest a small lemon…

chopped dill

Mince up some fresh dill… about two tablespoons.

pepper!

Throw that into a bowl along with a quarter teaspoon of black pepper… more or less to your taste.

stir

Stir those all together until totally mixed together.

plop

Grab some plastic wrap, foil or my favorite… cling wrap and throw the lemony-dill butter in the center.

wrap and refrigerate

Wrap it up and pop it into the fridge until you’re ready to make the salmon. If you make this butter early on, you might want to pull it out a half an hour before your ready to grill.

salmon

Lay the salmon, skin-side-down on a cutting board. This salmon fillet is about a pound and a half.

seasoned2

Divide the salmon into four equal portions. I used my Misto and spritzed both sides with olive oil and then sprinkle the salmon with kosher salt or your favorite seasoning salt. Like I’ve said a dozen times before… Simply Organic’s Grind to a Salt is F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S! Now just let that salmon sit for about 20 minutes to take the chill off.

oil grates

Clean your grill grates and rub them with a paper towel that has olive oil on it. Preheat to medium-high.

grill skin side down

Once hot, reduce the temperature to medium and lay the salmon, skin-side down on to the grill grates.

turn 14 turn

Cook for 6 minutes, or rotate after the 3 minute mark to get pretty hashed grill marks.

Now comes the super scary part…

flip

The flip.  Eeeek…. wait. It worked. The oiled grates saved the day! Cook for 5-6 more minutes or until fully cooked {it should be opaque and flake easily} and if you want to be uber fancy… yup, rotate the fish three minutes in to get those pretty hash marks I was telling you about before. C’mon you can do it!

Grilled Salmon with Lemon Dill Butter l SimplyScratch.com

Now right before I grilled the salmon I quickly whipped up a batch of couscous. Simply bring a pot of water to a boil {easy}. Stir in the couscous and a little salt {eaaaasy}. Cover, pull off the heat and let it chill out for like 5 minutes. Easystreet right there folks.

While the salmon was grilling… I was also grilling asparagus. A recipe I keep saying I’ll post… and I will, PROMISE.

Grilled Salmon with Lemon Dill Butter l SimplyScratch.com

So once I haphazardly spooned the couscous onto this here platter and then strew the asparagus over top. I then laid the grilled salmon over top of all that and sliced big {probably too big} pats of butter and topped each salmon piece with one of those. Theeeeen I squeeze the entire thing with those lemon halves. The hot salmon melts that butter… and yes, you guessed it…

Grilled Salmon with Lemon Dill Butter l SimplyScratch.com

Intsa-sauce. Insta-delicous. Insta-fam-favorite.

Enjoy! And if you give this Grilled Salmon with Lemon Dill Butter recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!

Grilled Salmon with Lemon Dill Butter l SimplyScratch.com

Grilled Salmon with Lemon Dill Butter

Yield: 4 servings

Cook Time: 12-14 minutes

Total Time: 35-40 minutes

1 stick {half a cup} Salted Butter, softened

1 lemon, zest and juice - divided

2 to 3 tablespoons Fresh Dill, minced

1/4 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Kosher Salt {or your favorite seasoning salt}

olive oil, for salmon and grill grates

1-1/2 pounds Salmon, skin on {or four 6 ounce pieces}

FOR THE LEMON DILL BUTTER: Combine the softened, salted butter in a bowl along with the lemon zest, dill and black pepper. Cut the lemon in half and keep it over to the side until later.

Stir the butter until everything is combined. Scoop the lemon-dill butter out and plop it down in the center of a piece of plastic wrap. Use the wrap to form the butter into a rectangular shape. Wrap and pop it into the fridge until 30 minutes before you are grilling.

FOR THE SALMON: Pull out the salmon and bring it up to room temperature for about 20-30 minutes. Divide it into four portions and lightly brush or spritz with your Misto both sides of the salmon with olive oil. Sprinkle with a couple pinches of kosher salt or use your favorite season salt.

Meanwhile, clean your grill grates and rub them with a paper towel that has olive oil on it. Preheat your grill to medium-high. Once hot, open the lid and reduce the heat to medium. Lay the salmon skin-side-down onto the hot grill grates. Let the salmon cook for 6 minutes, rotating a quarter turn halfway through, for hash grill marks.

After the 6 minutes, flip and grill for another 5-6 minutes. Turn the salmon after 3 minutes for those hash marks. The salmon is done when it is opaque and flakes easily.

Remove and top with a pat of lemon-dill butter and squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Enjoy!

27 Responses to “Grilled Salmon with Lemon Dill Butter”

Julia @ hungryandconfused — August 19, 2013 at 6:53 am

This looks delicious – I love salmon. I’ve also been put off grilling it as I’ve found in the past that the heat just makes the flakes stick to the grill and break apart. But yours looks so lovely that I definitely want to give it a go again.

Sally @ Sallys Baking Addiction — August 19, 2013 at 7:51 am

I love salmon. And definitely eat it at least once a week if I can. I’ve had it with lemon butter before, but I have got to try it with dill too. I just made a yummy dill veggie dip last week, so I have plenty of it around!

Tieghan Gerard — August 19, 2013 at 8:21 am

I think grilled salmon is the best! I try and cook it once a week, but normally just do a blackened seasoning. I love the lemon dill flavor and the butter sounds amazing!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — August 19, 2013 at 10:38 am

I always get intimidated by the grill. Things fall down the grates ALL THE TIME. This salmon looks great and I love the compound butter on top.

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — August 19, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I too never grilled salmon. It always freaked me out! UNTIL NOW!! Thanks for showing us the way, friend!

• simplyscratch replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 10:51 am

Dooo it gurl! 😉

cassie — August 19, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Totally craving salmon now. Love this, so much!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — August 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I love grilled salmon and that lemon butter sauce looks divine! Salmon is a staple in our house and this gives me a new way to prepare it! YUM!

Heather @ Heather's Dish — August 19, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I adore salmon – I could literally eat it every day and never get tired of it!!!

• simplyscratch replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 10:49 am

meeee toooo! Love IT!

Missy Robinson — August 19, 2013 at 10:10 pm

We live in Seattle and my husband is a fishing fool out on the coast. He goes almost every weekend during fishing season and brings home at least one 30 pound salmon… my freezer is stocked. He doesn’t really care for it, go figure – but he’ll stomach it. We eat fish at least 2x a week! Grilling is by FAR my favorite method for almost any fish! And I love lemon dill butter, but my husband doesn’t like dill. Jerk. So I just put it on half. 🙂 Congrats on overcoming your fish-grilling fear – the key is to make sure you oil the grates like you instructed. Skip that step and you’ll have that sticky nightmare you were afraid of – I speak from experience. 🙂

• simplyscratch replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 10:45 am

Yes oiled grill is key! Thanks Missy! 🙂

jane — August 20, 2013 at 3:34 am

I really enjoyed reading this recipe, full of go and enthusiasm and above all an excellent recipe. I am definitely going to try this, I too am scared it will stick to the grill, but now I am going to go for it, excellently written, well done, happy cooking!

• simplyscratch replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 10:43 am

Thanks Jane! Enjoy!

Amber@BareNaturalMommy — August 20, 2013 at 10:02 am

I loved that recipe! I can’t wait to try it. I have a bunch of dill growing in my garden right now. Thanks for the great blog!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 13th, 2013 @ 12:07 am

Aw! Thank YOU for your sweet comment!

Colleen Weatherford — October 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I’m making this for just myself and my husband. Could I prepare the whole stick of lemon dill butter and freeze the rest for the next time I make it? And if it doesn’t lend itself to freezing, how long should it keep in the fridge? Just hoping not to be wasteful and maybe save myself some time in the future. Thanks for the recipe!

• simplyscratch replied: — October 22nd, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

Hi Colleen! You can definitely freeze the butter! If it’s just you and your husband, maybe make half of the butter recipe and freeze the remaining. Enjoy!

Brenda McNamara — June 17, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Thank you for this! I can’t wait to try it. I tried a totally different recipe for salmon on the grill (in aluminum foil). It was edible but not great. This has my mouth watering!!

Deborah Eade — February 14, 2017 at 12:37 pm

Not keen on grilling, prefer to use a fish kettle to steam fish in bouillon, herbs and white wine

1. Pingback: Top 10 Grilled Salmon Recipes - Top Inspired