You are going to LOVE this Grilled Zucchini with Lemon, Garlic and Parmesan recipe! It’s by far my favorite veggie summer side dish. Zucchinis are scored, brushed with a simple, herby lemon-garlic butter and grilled to perfection! Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Tis the season for grilling allthethings.
I had a few zucchinis in the produce drawer of my fridge that I had to use up, so I whipped up the best grilled zucchini recipe ever. Simply cut a crisscross pattern in the flesh of a few halved zucchinis, brush with a lemony herb garlic and grill until fork tender. Whether it’s a side dish or meatless main dish, these are so delicious!
Trust me, your summer needs this quick and easy recipe. Serve it alongside fish, chicken or steak or keep it vegetarian and serve with quinoa or rice!
To Make This Grilled Zucchini Recipe You Will Need:
- unsalted butter – Lend richness and flavor.
- avocado oil (or extra light olive oil) – Increases the smoke tempo the butter while adding richness and flavor.
- garlic – Adds distinct punchy flavor.
- lemon – You’ll need lemon zest and juice for this recipe.
- italian seasoning – Use homemade or store-bought.
- kosher salt – Enhances the flavors in this recipe.
- black pepper –Adds some subtle bite and flavor.
- parmesan cheese – Use freshly grated for best flavor.
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional) – Lends a subtle heat and flavor.
- zucchinis – Use zucchinis that are similar un size and shape.
- fresh basil (optional) – For serving.
To start, melt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter with 2 tablespoon of avocado oil or extra light olive oil a small saucepan. Do not let the butter/oil bubble or brown.
Then add in the zest of 1 lemon and the juice of half.
Added a couple pinches of kosher salt (not too much because of the Parmesan you’ll add later), a few grinds of fresh black pepper and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. For some kick, try a pinch or two of red pepper flakes.
Then simply whisk to combine.
Cut the stem end off of 4 zucchinis and slice in half lengthwise and place on a rimmed metal sheet pan.
Using a paring knife, cut x’s into the flesh.
Then brush with some of the garlicky herbed lemon butter and gently work it into those x’s.
Preheat your grill to 400° – 500°.
Once hot place it cut-side down onto the grill grates. Close the lid and grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until grill marks form.
Then with the remaining butter, baste the cut side of the zucchini’s again– generously. Be sure to get the garlic, zest and spices into those cut marks.
Next sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over each of the grilled zucchinis. Then, close the lid and cook for another 2 minutes or until the zucchinis are tender and the cheese has melted.
If you have it, serve topped with a fresh basil leaves.
I just about died after my first bite. The herbed lemon-garlic butter works its way into the nooks and crannies of the zucchinis so you get a little lemon, a little garlic and parmesan in every bite.
Serve the grilled zucchini with protein of your choice or serve as a light vegetarian main option.
Grilled Zucchini with Lemon, Garlic and Parmesan
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, or extra light olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 a lemon , juiced, about 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- 2 pinches freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 4 medium zucchinis, washed, stem trimmed and cut horizontally
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons small basil leaves
- Melt butter with olive oil in a small saucepan.
- Remove off of the heat and grate in the garlic and lemon zest. Next, squeeze in the juice from half a lemon and measure and add in the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and crushed red pepper flakes if using. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Place the zucchini halves onto a rimmed metal sheet pan. Using a paring knife, score x's into the flesh before brushing with some of the butter mixture.
- Preheat your grill to 400° to 500°. Once hot, place the zucchinis onto the grill grates, cut-side down, close the lid and grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until grill marks form.
- Turn, brush with the remaining butter mixture making sure the garlic, zest and herbs are worked into the score marks.
- Sprinkle the parmesan over top, cover and grill for 1 to 2 more minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve immediately with fresh basil leaves scattered overtop.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!