Easy dessert alert! These Blueberry Lavender Pastry Pies are so simple and delicious! Puff pastry, fresh blueberries and lavender sugar (instructions included) are the secret to making this beautifully rustic dessert! Serves 4 in about an hour.
After making pigs in a blanket, I had a sheet of leftover puff pastry and once I saw the container of blueberries in my fridge, I devised a plan.
A few days before, I made lavender sugar. At the time I was simply testing it out to see if it would actually work. Every once and again when I would walk by the jar on my counter and shake it. Two days later, I opened it and was greeted with a wonderful floral-y aroma. It was then that I decided to test the lavender sugar in this blueberry pastry recipe. I was still a bit skeptical and of course curious to see if the lavender would come through.
It totally did and was the blueberry and lavender combo was a surprisingly delicious combination. I’m officially a fan.
To Make These Blueberry Lavender Pastry Pies you will need:
- puff pastry
- flour, for dusting your surface
- lavender sugar
- lemon juice
- kosher salt
- coarse sugar
- vanilla ice cream – for serving
Twelve to 24 hours in advance, make the the lavender sugar.
In a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid, measure and add 1 cup of sugar and mix with 1-1/2 teaspoons dried lavender buds. Cover and let sit for a day or so, giving it a shake every so often.
Then before you being, make sure to remove your puff pastry from the freezer 20 to 25 minutes before unfolding.
Next, once thawed a bit, sprinkle a little flour onto your clean work surface and roll the dough out to a 12 x 12 square. Then cut into 4 equal-ish squares. I do my best and yet still can’t manage it. 😂
Next, use a pastry brush and brush a little of the beaten egg on the outer edge of each square. Then fold the edge in, to create an edge or crust.
I would also recommend docking the puff pastry center with a fork a few times. I totally for got to and these puffed up pretty well where ever the blueberries weren’t. However, if you want to risk it and see what kind of rustic beauty comes out of this, by all means.
Transfer each puff pastry pie crust to a parchment-lined, rimmed metal baking sheet. Slip this into the freezer for 20 to 25 minute or until the dough re-freezes.
Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425°.
Then, in a medium bowl, combine the 6 ounces of blueberries, 3 tablespoons lavender sugar, 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt and 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch.
Toss well to combine.
Next, divide the blueberries (and liquids) among the 4 pies and top each one with a 1/4 of the tablespoon of butter.
Then brush the top edge with the egg wash and sprinkle with the coarse sugar. Next, bake the pies on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 14 to 18 minutes or until the crust has puffed and is flakey and golden.
Lastly, allow the pies to cool a smidge. You want them warm but not hot as they may melt your ice cream instantly.
Finally, serve with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream and prepare to fall in love.
I feel like I say that a lot. 😉
Blueberry Lavender Pastry Pies
- 1 tablespoon flour, for dusting work surface
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 ounces blueberries
- 3 tablespoons lavender sugar, see notes
- 1/2 lemon, juiced about 2 to 3 teaspoons
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into fourths
- 2 tablespoon turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- The day before, make the lavender sugar. (see notes)
- Set your puff pastry out 20 to 25 minutes before unfolding and rolling out on a lightly floured surface to a 12x12 square. Then cut into 4 squares.
- Brush a little of the beaten egg on the outer edge of each square and fold to create a edge or crust. Use a fork to dock the center of the dough.
- Place the four squares onto a parchment lined, rimmed metal baking sheet and freeze fro 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425°.
- In a medium bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon, salt and cornstarch, tossing to combine.
- Once the pastry is frozen, divide the blueberry mixture among each one and dot with a piece of butter.
- Bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden and flakey, and the blueberries have burst.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!