In these Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Chicken Sandwiches, chicken thighs are cooked low and slow in homemade bbq sauce, garlic and chipoltes. The chicken is then shredded and stuffed into sandwich rolls.
Today I bought a slow cooker.
Not just any slow-cooker, but one that is digital and came with a meat probe thermometer. Yes, yes there was this recipe… but I actually had to borrow a slow cooker from a friend because mine was ancient and extremely small. Oh and my old slow cooker was also an ugly shade of burgundy, which isn’t pretty in pictures. I’ve been anti-slow cooker for so long that the mere fact that I now own a giant-digital-meat-probing-slow-cooker makes me laugh and cry at the same time. What does it all mean? More slow cooker recipes on SS?
To Make This Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken You Will Need:
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- homemade barbecue sauce
- chipotle pepper plus adobo sauce
- hoagie rolls
- pickled jalapeños, for serving
All-righty, now many of you might remember when I posted a recipe for homemade barbecue sauce!? Yes? Well that sauce is the base for this pulled chicken. For those who might have forgotten, it’s brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, water, Worcestershire, ground mustard, paprika, salt and pepper. STIR and that’s it. Today I’m adding a little more flavor with some garlic and some smoky-heat from a chipotle pepper.
Next add in the minced chipotles to 3 cups homemade barbecue sauce.
…and then1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce that is in the can with the chipotles.
Next throw in 1 clove minced garlic.
Then just stir and set aside.
Arrange 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs in the bottom of your slow cooker.
Lastly pour the chipotle garlic barbecue sauce over top of the chicken.
Set it (to low- not high) and forget it!
After 6 hours on low the chicken should be cooked and falling apart.
Then remove the chicken and grab two forks.
Start shredding all that chicken!
Until you have a heaping mound of it.
Add the chicken back in to the slow cooker and turn off the heat.
Let the sauce cool and thicken a bit before serving, this should take about 15 minutes.
Stuff the shredded slow cooker barbecue chicken into a hoagie bun and chow down. The chipotle gives it a little heat, just enough to heat your tongue but I don’t think it’s crazy hot.
Unless you have a death-wish then go ahead and put jalapenos on yours, it’s craziness… pure craziness. Just be sure to scarf these down quick before the bread soaks up all the sauciness!
Ps. I’ll have you know my husband informed me this is now his favorite dinner of all times!
So make these Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Chicken Sandwiches ASAP!
Barbecue Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 cups barbecue sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 6 hoagie rolls, buttered and toasted, optional
- pickled jalapeños, for serving
- Trim off any excess fat from the boneless-skinless chicken thighs and arrange them in the bottom of your slow cooker
- Combine the homemade barbecue sauce with the minced garlic, chipotles and adobo sauce. Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook on high for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked and falling apart.
- Turn off the heat to the slow cooker, remove the chicken and shred with two forks, return the chicken back to the pot, stir and let cool down so the sauce can thicken up, about 15 minutes.
- Serve inside a hoagie and devour!
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!