Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches

Everything you love about French dip sandwiches but made easy by using the slow cooker. Pile tender meat and onions into crusty rolls and dip in the au jus!

I tend to shy away from a lot of slow cooker recipes as they mainly contain cream of blah-de-blah soup or packets of this-or-that. Until the light bulb went off that crock-pot-cooking didn’t have to be that way for me. And when Real Simple asked me to do a slow cooker recipe for their Simply Stated section, I took my regular ol’ recipe for French dip sandwiches and scratchified it.

slow cooker french dip sandwiches l simplyscratch.com french dip2

So, as promised here is the step-by-step to the most fabulous of fabulous slow cooker French dip sandwiches. Ever.

In this recipe I’m pretty positive that any beer would work. I’m using Kid Rock’s beer for two reasons; A.) it’s locally brewed right here in Michigan {boom-snap}. And because like his label reads… I think it’s totally badass.

Start off by adding a couple tablespoons of extra light olive oil. Get the pan nice and hot over medium-high heat.

I let my roast sit on the counter for about a half hour or so to take some of the chill off. Then I season the chuck roast with a generous amount of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.

When the pan is good to go, drop in the roast.

Sear both sides for about 3-4 minutes and don’t turn it until there is a nice golden crust goin’ on.

Turn off the heat and add in a half cup of dry red wine. If you’re not a wine-o then use a half cup of beef broth. It’s all good in the hood. Now with your spatula… scrape up the bits stuck to the bottom of the pan and remove off of the burner.

Peel…

…and slice up a couple onions.

Then smash and peel a couple cloves of garlic.

Into the slow cooker goes the roast, onions and garlic cloves.

Pour in the beef broth…

Beer…

Wine and pan drippings.

Soy sauce, this may just be the secret ingredient.

Then in go four packets of all natural beef concentrate. My grocery store has these on the shelf right next to the bullion. But if you can’t find any then just use four teaspoons of bullion granules.

Water.

Stir.

Set it on high and forget it. Well forget it for four hours at least… yeah good luck with that!

slow cooker french dip sandwiches l simplyscratch.com
When the time comes to unveil the goods; the meat will be tender and the onions soft and perfectly cooked.

slow cooker french dip sandwiches l simplyscratch.com
With a couple of forks or your with your very own meat hooks, shred the beef and place it back into the slow cooker with the onions and broth.

slow cooker french dip sandwiches l simplyscratch.com
Split a couple of crusty hoagie buns and stuff them full!

slow cooker french dip sandwiches l simplyscratch.com
Pour a little of the broth aka au jus and dunk your French dip sandwich before every bite. These French dip sandwiches are so so sososososososo good. Promise.

Enjoy! And if you give these French dip sandwiches a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

slow cooker french dip sandwiches l simplyscratch.com

4 cups Beef Broth

1-1/2 cups Water

1 bottle of Beer

4 packets All Natural Beef Concentrate {or four teaspoons bullion granules}

1 tablespoon Soy Sauce

8 crusty Hoagie Rolls

Pull out the roast thirty minutes before searing, to bring it up in temperature a bit.

Heat the two tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season both sides of the roast with salt and pepper. Once the pan is hot sear each side of the roast for 3-4 minutes. Turn off the heat and deglaze the pan with the half cup of red wine, scraping the browned bits up with a wooden spoon. Beef stock may be substituted.

To a large five quart slow cooker; add the seared roast, onions, garlic, wine reduction, broth, water, beer, beef concentrate and soy sauce. Secure the lid and set the temp to high for 4 hours. {or low for 7-8 hours}

Once cooked, remove the roast and shred with a couple of forks. Remove any large garlic pieces before returning the shredded roast back into the crock pot. Serve the shredded beef and onions on a sliced hoagie. Spoon some of the au jus in little bowls to dunk the sandwiches. Enjoy.

32 Responses to “Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches”

Aarthi — February 20, 2012 at 1:19 pm

laurie..that looks so good..you are making me drool..

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — February 20, 2012 at 1:29 pm

The husband LOVES french dip sandwiches and I LOVE anything I can make in the crockpot, which means this WILL be dinner. But I won't tell him how easy this is 😉

Cassie/Bake Your Day — February 20, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I am all over these, Laurie. I adore French Dips and I'll take any excuse to take help from the crock pot. These sound so flavorful!

Bev Weidner (Bev Cooks) — February 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I can't even taaaaake it! Looks. so. good.

Blog is the New Black — February 20, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Looks awesome! I had never heard of french dips until good old Sprinkles of Parsley made them. Lloyd saw them and I HAD to make them…. immediately. YUM!

Jennifurla — February 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm

oh man, girl you rocked this recipe for sure. It looks perfect.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 20, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Omg I've been waiting all weekend for this post…feed me!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — February 21, 2012 at 2:25 am

I have been craving a french dip sandwich for a few days now. The only question is when can I get to the store???

Anna @ hiddenponies — February 21, 2012 at 5:25 am

Beer AND wine? And onions? I'm in! These sound incredible, can't wait to try them!

Krissy's Creations — February 21, 2012 at 6:05 am

My husband would love these! Love how there is beer & wine in this recipe.

Julia @The Roasted Root — February 21, 2012 at 6:34 am

I've gotta tell you, lady, I LOVE the crock pot. Mostly because I feel like you can throw any meat/veggie/spice/stock variation in there and it seems to always turn out great. Your recipe looks awesome, and I have never once tried making french dip innards in a crock, so this is definitely inspiring. I like that you brown the meat first to give it a nice crisp and flavor. One thing I

Margaret Murphy Tripp — February 21, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I've always loved a good french dip sandwich. Your recipe looks great!

Emilee — February 23, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I made this for lunch today. It was fabulous and my husband kept saying "yummm" every few bites. :o) Thanks for the recipes!

Tiffany — February 24, 2012 at 7:14 pm

If you asked anyone I know what my favorite meal is, they would tell you a French Dip Sandwich. It's what I order in a restaurant 9 out of 10 times. I have made it a few times in the crock pot, once perfectly, but never right again. I like the soy sauce in your recipe, that is different. I will try it again and follow your instructions, thanks for sharing!

Valerie Hartman — February 24, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Everything is in the crockpot now. I can't wait to try the sandwiches. Never made a French Dip before–wild livin' on a Friday night. Thanks for the recipe.

Trista — February 27, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Oh how I wish my 3 year old would eat beef, this looks so yummy!

Andrea — February 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Add some yummy cheese melted on top and I am sold. I think I will make this on the weekend. I am pinning it now so I don't lose it.

Kirsten/Comfortably Domestic — March 2, 2012 at 5:11 am

Laurie, you had me at the Badass beer. I'd forgotten you were a Michigan girl too. That makes us both totally BFF with Kid Rock. The sandwiches look awesome!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — March 28, 2012 at 1:30 am

I just made this for dinner tonight. Oh my god it was SO good. And my house smelled awesome all day. I wanted to just pour myself a glass of au jus, but realized my family would think I was weird.

Dan Pinkston — October 29, 2012 at 5:07 am

I made this tonight and it was DELICIOUS. The only thing I will change when I make it again this winter is to drain most of the oil from the pan before I add the red wine. I felt that the au jus ended up a touch oily in the end but everything about this recipe had incredible depth of flavor and was incredibly easy to prepare. This is how I will make french dip every time now!

Cheryl — January 23, 2013 at 5:36 am

This looks so amazing! I have a roast sitting in the fridge that is going straight into the pot tomorrow morning! This is one of my favorites, but I use deli beef, so rarely make it as I worry about the nitrates. It will be so awesome to be able to make it a regular menu item!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Elle — June 2, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Hi, this sounds awesome and I dying to try it but, I’m allergic to the hops in beer. What do you think would be the best substitute so I don’t lose to much flavor?

• simplyscratch replied: — June 2nd, 2013 @ 10:39 pm

Hi Elle! White wine for sure but make sure it’s a dry one! 😉

%spinfile-d — July 29, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Today, there are two popular choices in grilling namely gas grills and charcoal grills.
    They do not disappoint when it comes to durability. When
    looking for gas grills on sale, the best brands to choose from are Weber, Char-Broil,
    Brinkmann, and Coleman.

Tanya — March 3, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Delish!!! I shredded it in my kitchen aid stand mixer!

1. Pingback: Whatever Friday | Crazy for Crust