Treat yourself to a homemade Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte! Pumpkin puree is caramelized with spices before being whisked with milk. This is then heated, infused with Chai tea and vanilla before being poured into mugs and topped with frothed milk. Yields 2 mugs.
Hug in a mug. That’s what this pumpkin spice chai latte is.
On any given day, I’m a cup of coffee with creamer kind of gal, but every once again I make chai lattes. They are a special occasion beverage that I truly don’t mind putting in the minimal (yet still some) effort for. As you’re aware, fall is here, and pumpkin-everything is all up in our faces. I thought I would join in -because why not?- and share my recipe for homemade pumpkin spice chai lattes!
As you know I love chai! The spice and the tea. I’ve steeped the tea into ice cream, and baked the spice blend into pumpkin pie and into apple pecan rolls! Today I’m combining chai latte with pumpkin and pumpkin spice for a milky, cozy beverage collaboration!
To Make This Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte Recipe You Will Need:
- pumpkin puree – Make sure to use pumpkin puree and not pie filling.
- light brown sugar – Or use dark brown sugar.
- pumpkin pie spice – Use homemade or store-bought.
- milk – Use whatever you like to drink (cow’s milk, soy milk, oat milk, almond milk, coconut milk or cashew milk). Any of these should work – however some froth better than others (more on that further into the post).
- chai tea bags – Use your favorite chai tea brand.
- pure vanilla extract – Adds warmth and enhances the other flavors in this recipe.
In a medium saucepan, add the pumpkin puree, light brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice and heat on medium-low.
I’m using canned pumpkin for this because the thought of roasting a pumpkin for 1/3 cup bums me out. However, you can bet on me making it as soon as I have a stock pile of puree in my freezer.
Continuously stirring for 5 minutes or until the puree is thick and caramelized. It should resemble tomato paste.
Pour in 2 cups milk. I’m using whole milk, but you can use any milk you prefer.
Heat on medium, whisking constantly until hot. Do not let this boil or scotch on the bottom. I gauge it by when it starts to steam.
It’s Beginning to look like a latte!
Steep 3 chai tea bags into the hot milk for 5 minutes.
Pro Tip: I use a magnet to hold them in place. #lifehack
Squeeze out the tea bags before discarding. TO do this: 0ver the pot, use a spoon to hold the tea bag and then I wrap the string around it and squeeze
Lastly, add in 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract.
Keep warm on low heat while you froth some milk.
Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of milk to a small sauce pan. Heat on high while vigorously whisking. It doesn’t take long for the milk to froth. Keep whisking.
What Is The Best Milks For Frothing?
The best milk for frothing is heavy cream, half & half, whole milk, oat milk (try barista blend!), almond milk, coconut milk and soy milk.
Finally, pour the pumpkin spice chai latte into two mugs.
And spoon the frothy milk over top.
Something to keep in mind; if small pumpkin fibers and/or the collection of spice at the bottom of your mug weirds you out, you may want to pour it through a few layers of cheesecloth before pouring it into mugs and serving.
Dust with a little extra pumpkin pie spice and serve with snappy ginger cookies!
Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree, see notes
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 2½ cups milk, divided
- 3 chai tea bags
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a medium sauce pan, add the pumpkin puree, sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Heat on medium to medium-low heat stirring often until slightly thicker, resembling tomato paste. About 5 mintues.
- Pour in the milk and heat until steaming hot. Not boiling. Remove off of the heat and add the 3 chai tea bags. Steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and whisk in the vanilla. Keep warm on low heat while preparing the frothy milk.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk in a small skillet. Heat on high, whisking vigerously until frothy. This takes only a few minutes.
- Divide the pumpkin spice chai latte into 2 mugs, and spoon frothy milk over the top. If desired, add a small pinch of pumpkin spice.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!