In this homemade Spicy Breakfast Sausage Gravy, a made-from-scratch pork sausage is cooked and turned into a creamy, decadent and flavorful gravy that has delicious flavor with a spicy kick. Serve over buttermilk biscuits with lots of black pepper. Serves 6 to 8.
Every Christmas morning, we go to my in-laws and my mother-in-law makes us a breakfeast.
We’re talking eggs (three kinds), bacon (crispy and not-so-crispy), sausage (2 kinds), home fries, spicy sausage gravy, biscuits and toast. My sister-in-law brings cheesy potatoes and I bring cinnamon rolls – and this past year I also brought mimosas. We pile our plates with allthethings and are then stuffed for the rest of the day. Well, that is until the ham dinner.
Anyways, while enjoying my breakfast, I decided SS needed a from-scratch version of my MIL’s spicy sausage gravy. Starting with this easy recipe for buttermilk biscuits, a from-scratch spicy pork sausage and of course the lusciously sinful breakfast gravy.
This sausage recipe is almost as simple as opening a package of store-bought breakfast sausage, but the only thing is you will want to plan a little for this recipe. Start the day or night before because the sausage is best if you can let the flavors develop in the fridge overnight.
So worth it, I promise.
To Make Spicy Homemade Breakfast Sausage You Will Need:
- ground pork – Look for 80/20 ground pork for best results.
- garlic – Adds a distinct punchy flavor.
- rubbed sage (dried) – Gives the sausage a distant earthy, slightly minty and musky flavor.
- kosher salt – Enhances the flavors in the sausage.
- freshly ground black pepper – Adds some subtle bite and flavor.
- marjoram – Adds delicate flavor similar to oregano but sweeter and with more complicated flavor notes.
- red pepper flakes – Gives the sausage that delicious heat. These can lose heat over time, so check and make sure yours hasn’t expired.
- poultry seasoning – I use Morton & Bassett’s Poultry Herbs which consists of a blend of herbs and spices like sage, thyme, marjoram, onion, garlic, rosemary, coriander, parsley, black pepper and rose petals.
- smoked paprika – Gives the sausage a subtle smokiness.
What Is Rubbed Sage?
Sage is rubbed instead of finely ground, so it is lighter (fluffier), less concentrated and not as intense as ground sage. If using regular ground sage, consider using half the amount (or in this instance about 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons).
A Note About Red Pepper Flakes:
Keep in mind red pepper flakes can lose heat over time so check the expiration date and use fresh if possible. Also, not all brands of red pepper flakes are equal in spice level. I like to use Morton & Basset. I always season the meat with 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and then we add more to our plate once served. However feel free to add more!
In a medium bowl add 1-1/2 pounds 80/20 ground pork.
To that add 3 cloves of finely minced garlic, 1 tablespoon rubbed sage, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika.
Use a fork to mix until thoroughly combined.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
To Make This Homemade Spicy Breakfast Sausage Gravy You Will Need:
- homemade spicy breakfast sausage – In a pinch you can use store-bought.
- unbleached all-purpose flour – Used to help thicken the gravy.
- half & half – Whole milk or 2% can also be used.
- freshly ground black pepper – Because sausage gravy should have lots of black pepper.
- biscuits – for serving (optional). Buttermilk biscuits are linked above but click here for other biscuit recipes!
WHAT IS HALF & HALF?
Half & half is commonly found in the dairy section of most American grocery stores. It is equal parts whole milk and heavy cream.
Add sausage to a cold pan.
Cook over medium heat, using a wooden spatula to break up the sausage into crumbles. Cook until no longer pink, I like the sausage to get browned in spots. This takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
Once fully cooked, sprinkle in 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour.
Stir and cook until the fat has absorbed all of the flour and you don’t see any trace of flour left.
Pour in 2-1/2 cups half & half (whole milk or 2%).
Stir and bring to a bubble over medium-heat.
Keep stirring until thickened to your preference.
Taste and season with black pepper and more red pepper flakes if desired.
Serve with biscuits!
Plate biscuits whole or cut in half, and top with spoonfuls of the spicy sausage gravy.
Make it a feast by serving this with bacon, eggs and coffee.
Click Here For More Breakfast and Brunch Recipes!
Homemade Spicy Breakfast Sausage Gravy
FOR THE SPICY SAUSAGE:
- 1½ pounds ground pork (80/20)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage, (*see notes)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, (**see notes)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
FOR THE SAUSAGE GRAVY:
- 1½ pounds spicy breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups half & half, or whole milk or 2% (***see notes)
MAKE THE SPICY SAUSAGE:
- In a medium bowl add ground pork, garlic, rubbed sage, kosher salt, ground black pepper, marjoram, red pepper flakes, poultry seasoning and smoked paprika.
- Use a fork and mix until thoroughly combined. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
MAKE THE SAUSAGE GRAVY:
- Add sausage to a cold pan. Cook over medium heat, using a wooden spatula to break up the sausage into crumbles. Cook until no longer pink (I like the sausage to get browned in spots). This takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once fully cooked, sprinkle in the flour. Stir and cook until the fat has absorbed all of the flour and you don’t see any trace of flour left.
- Pour in the half & half (or whole milk or 2%). Increase heat to medium-high, stirring until thickened to desired consistency.
- Taste and season with black pepper and more red pepper flakes if desired.
- Remove pan from heat and immediately serve over biscuits.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!