Mel’s Cheesy Potatoes is a classic side dish our family loves. A creamy and cheesy potato casserole topped with buttery crushed cornflakes, baked until golden and bubbly. This recipe will serve 10 to 12.
Cheesy potatoes are a staple at Christmas.
At least at our Christmas breakfast they are! Right before we tear into the presents, my in-laws makes a huge breakfast feast consisting of three types of eggs (fried, scrambled and scrambled with cheese), biscuits and gravy, sausage links, crispy bacon and cinnamon rolls, just to name a few things on the menu. Mel (a high school friend turn sister-in-law) brings her cheesy potatoes and it’s the first thing I reach for.
This year at Thanksgiving, I asked if I could have her recipe. She immediately texted me a photo of the handwritten recipe and I’ve never been more excited to make and share a recipe. I kept everything the same, with the exception of making my own condensed cream of mushroom soup. I love a good shortcut and using frozen diced hash brown potatoes makes things so easy!
Whether you call them cheesy potatoes or funeral potatoes, one thing we can agree on is that they are decadent and delicious.
However if you’re looking for a more from-scratch cheesy potato recipe click here.
To Make Mel’s Cheesy Potatoes You Will Need:
- sour cream
- cream of mushroom soup
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- green onions
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- crushed cornflakes
Like everything good in life, this recipe starts with butter. Start melting 2 tablespoons in a deep-sided skillet.
Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350°.
To that, measure and add in 2 cups sour cream, 1 cup condensed cream of mushroom soup ( I used this whole recipe which is just over a cup), 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup sliced green onions and season with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
Obviously this is a decadent recipe.
Stir to combine.
Pour in 1/2 cup milk.
Mix until incorporated.
Add in 32 ounces frozen diced hash brown potatoes.
Mix well until combined.
Set off to the side.
In a separate bowl, add 1 cup crushed cornflakes and mix with the remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter.
Toss to coat.
Transfer the potato mixture to a greased 9×13 baking dish.
Sprinkle with the buttered crushed cornflakes. Bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 1 hour, rotating the pan halfway through.
Mel’s cheesy potatoes should be bubbling and golden brown on top.
Remove and let cool slightly before serving.
My family LOVES this recipe! I especially love the caramelized and crispy edges and corners 😍. The slight sweetness and crunch of the cornflakes with the creamy cheesy casserole is to die for!
Mel's Cheesy Potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 recipe condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 32 ounces frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- Preheat your oven to 350° and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a deep sided saucepan, remove off the heat once melted.
- Then add in the sour cream, condensed soup, cheese and green onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the milk.
- Add in the hash browns and mix until combined and transfer to the prepared pan.
- Mix the crushed cornflakes with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake on the middle rack for 1 hour, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!