This all-purpose Homemade Italian Seasoning Blend consists of dried basil, oregano and other dried herbs you commonly find in your spice cabinet. Can be used in sauces, dressings, marinades and more. Yields 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons).
A spice collection isn’t a complete spice collection without italian seasoning. This is one of my most used spice blends next to taco and fajita seasonings. It’s the perfect blend of dried herbs like basil, marjoram and oregano and this recipe makes a lot so you won’t run out anytime soon.
To Make This Homemade Italian Seasoning Blend You Will Need:
- basil (dried) – Lends a strong minty flavor with a hint of anise.
- marjoram (dried) – Adds delicate flavor similar to oregano but sweeter and with more complicated flavor notes.
- oregano (dried) – Lends earthy and slightly bitter flavor.
- parsley (dried) – For bright and herbaceous flavor that will enhance the other ingredients in the dish.
- rubbed sage (dried) – Is lighter (fluffier), less concentrated and not as intense as ground sage.
- thyme (dried) – Lends a sharp and earthy flavor.
- crushed rosemary (dried) – Adds a pine-like or woodsy flavor.
What Are The Best Spices For Making Your Own Seasonings and Spice Blends?
There’s no right or wrong brand. I will first say, buy what you can afford. However, not all spices are created equal as you tend to get what you pay for. Currently I use Morton & Bassett (not sponsored) because I find their spices to be top notch in texture, color and flavor. I love and respect what their company stands for not only with charitable work but also quality control. With that said some other wonderful brands I’ve used over the years are Simple Organic, Frontier Co-op and Penzys.
In a glass jar (that has a tight-fitting lid) measure and add 2 tablespoons of each dried basil, marjoram, oregano and parsley. Then measure and add in 1 tablespoon rubbed sage, 1 teaspoon each dried thyme and crushed dried rosemary.
Stir well to combine. Store the Italian seasoning in a jar or container that has tight fitting lid and place in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months or longer.
Click Here For more homemade seasonings and spice blends!
Homemade Italian Seasoning Blend
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- Bernardin Mason Jars - 250 mL - Wide
- In a glass jar (with a tight-fitting lid) measure and add the basil, marjoram, oregao, parsley, sage, thyme and rosemary.
- Stir to combine.
- Store in cool, dry place for 6 months or longer.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!