Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies are sweet, chewy and packed with lots of flavor. What makes these blondies extra special is browning the butter beforehand. It adds a delicious and subtle nuttiness. Yields 16 squares.
Last weekend my dear friend came over with the most amazing blondies. Which then reminded me of the ones Malloree and I made a month or so ago. So I first wanted to share this recipe before I adapted them to make my friend Nichole’s recipe. Just you wait. Two words: espresso and whiskey caramel. But before I get ahead of myself, let’s talk blondies!
So. What are blondies?
Blondies or blonde brownies mostly get their flavor from the brown sugar and vanilla (and in this case browned butter!) so they’ll give off delicious butterscotch vibes. Meanwhile the blondies relative; brownies are flavored by cocoa powder or chocolate. Also, because blondies are sweet all on their own, they are hardly ever frosted. Unlike brownies — which I personally love with a thick layer of chocolate buttercream.
Chewy and sweet. Buttery, slightly nutty and milk chocolaty. These brown butter blondies should come with a warning:
You May Eat All In One Sitting.
To Make These Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies You Will Need:
- unsalted butter
- light brown sugar
- an egg
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- kosher salt
- milk chocolate chips.
First brown your butter.
Once browned, add the toasty butter to a large mixing bowl to cool. It’s important to patiently wait for the brown butter to cool (it can be warm, just not hot) because if you don’t, you risk scrambling the egg. Therefore ruining your blondies. Cooling should take about 15 minutes or so.
Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350℉ (or 180℃).
When the browned butter is no longer hot, add 1 cup light brown sugar and crack in 1 large egg.
And measure and add in 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
Stir or whisk well until combined and the egg is thoroughly incorporated.
To that, add 1-1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (I use 3/4 teaspoon because I tend to like things on the saltier side) and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
Until most of the dry ingredients are incorporated.
Lastly add in 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips. I like to add more to the top after baking so make sure you have extras.
Semi-sweet, white or dark chocolate chips can be substituted.
Stop mixing when the chocolate chips are throughout.
Transfer the dough to an 8×8 or 9×9 pan that has been lined with parchment paper (leaving an inch or 2 overhang) and sprayed with a non-stick baking spray.
Using a rubber spatula, press the blondie batter evenly into the prepared pan. Slip the pan onto the middle rack of your preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
After the bars have cooled for 10 minutes or so, I sprinkle with a few extra chocolate chips because I love the look of it and also more chocolate is never a bad thing.
Allow the bars to cool for 20 minutes, then remove them from the pan by using the parchment as handles. Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Once cool, move to a cutting board and cut into 16 squares.
Got weekend plans? Make blondies!
And serve slightly warm with or without a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream.
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ (or 180℃) and line a 9x9 pan with parchement, leaving an in or so overhang, and spray with nonstick baking spray.
- Heat butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Stir ofte until lightly golden brown. Remove off of the heat and pour into a large heat-safe bowl and cool.
- Once the browned butter has cooled, add in the sugar, egg and vanilla. Use a rubber spatula and mix until combined.
- Next, add in the flour, salt and baking powder. Mix until just a trace of flour is left. Add in the chocolate chips and mix until even distributed.
- Bake on the middle rack of your oven for 25 minutes or until a tester comes out clean with only a few crumbs attached.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!