I love a handheld breakfast and this Fried Egg Sandwich is just that. Hearty bread is toasted and topped with cheese and perfectly seasoned fried eggs. This recipe makes 1 sandwich but can easily be doubled or tripled.
Perfect for breakfast or lunch!
This recipe is yet another one of my childhood favorites. Although I’m pretty positive my mom put ketchup on hers, I however swapped that out for cheese. 👍🏻 I’m not the biggest fan of ketchup, unless it is used in a recipe. But please feel free to add or dip it in some ketchup if you like!
When I make fried egg sandwiches for my girls, they always ask if the special salt is on the eggs, which would be my homemade version of Lawry’s all purpose seasoning salt. I never fry eggs without it and it’s what makes this sandwich so fantastic!
To Make The Best Fried Egg Sandwich You will Need:
- olive oil spray
- white American cheese
- all-purpose seasoning salt
- fresh black pepper
Toast your bread. Once the toast pops and is still hot, lay your slice of cheese on top. The heat from the toast will start softening the cheese up a bit. I love to use white American however, havarti, cheddar or any good melty cheese will do.
Spray a 10-inch pan with olive oil and heat over medium heat. I used to fry my eggs in a ton of both butter and oil, which is totally unnecessary. Once the pan is hot, carefully crack in your eggs.
I only fry a couple of eggs at a time. This way you have plenty of room to flip over your eggs.
Next sprinkle with seasoning salt and black pepper.
I like my egg yolks on the runny side but the whites must be cooked. So I wait until the whites are opaque and then I carefully flip. I don’t use a timer, but if I had to guess it’s about 20 to 30 seconds or so on the second side.
Then I place the two fried eggs on cheesy toast and place the second slice on top.
Finally, cut in half diagonally.
And there you have it the best fried egg sandwich ever! Although it’s not too shabby with a couple pieces of bacon sandwiched in there too.
Best Fried Egg Sandwich
- 2 slices of hearty bread
- 1 to 2 slices white American cheese, or sub with havarti, cheddar or Colby
- olive oil spray
- 2 large eggs
- all-purpose season salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Spray a 10-inch skillet with olive oil and preheat on medium
- Toast bread and top each slice with the cheese, cutting it in half to fit if necessary. The heat of the toast should warm up the cheese.
- Once the pan is hot, carefully crack in each egg. Season with season salt and black pepper.
- When the whites are opaque, turn the eggs and cook until the yolk to your preference.
- Top one slice of the bread with with the two fried eggs then sandwich together.
- Cut in half diagonally and enjoy!
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!