Bacon Wrapped Jalapeños are the perfect party and game day appetizer! Jalapeño peppers are halved and filled with a cheesy garlic and chive cream cheese mixture, wrapped with bacon and baked until the bacon crisps and the filling is melty. Yields 24 peppers and will serve 8 (3 peppers per person).
Anything wrapped in bacon is incredible.
But bacon wrapped jalapeños are top notch. Back in 2010 when I first posted this recipe, it consisted of 3 ingredients: jalapeños, cream cheese and bacon. Which is still amazing (especially when in a pinch), but someone mentioned in the comments to try adding shredded cheese to the cream cheese. That little nugget of inspo was enough for me to remake and reshoot this old recipe.
And for what it’s worth, I didn’t stop at adding cheese. I also incorporate chives, garlic powder, smoked paprika and onion powder – because why not?
I think you’re going to love these!
To Make These Bacon Wrapped Jalapeños You Will Need:
- cream cheese – Set this out to soften 30 to 45 minutes before making.
- cheddar jack cheese – May substitute with sharp cheddar or pepper jack cheese.
- chives – I’m using dried but fresh also works.
- garlic powder – Adds flavor that’s sweeter yet milder than fresh garlic.
- smoked paprika – Adds color and subtle smoky flavor.
- onion powder – Lends additional bold oniony flavor.
- jalapeños – Pick jalapeños medium in size. You don’t want tiny or too huge of peppers.
- applewood smoked bacon – I do my best to try to count slices in the package before buying, you need 12 slices.
- toothpicks – Use these to secure the bacon and also helpful for guests to grab onto when serving.
Make the filling:
In a mixing bowl, measure and add 8 ounces softened cream cheese, 1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese, 1 tablespoon dried chives (1-1/2 teaspoons if using fresh), 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2. teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/4 teaspoon onion powder.
Mix well to combine and set aside.
Prep The Jalapeños:
You need about 12 jalapeños. Wear gloves while prepping the jalapeños. Cut each pepper in half lengthwise and, over a bowl, use your (gloved) fingers or a small spoon to remove the seeds and ribs. If you want them to have some extra heat, you could leave a little of the rib and seed attached.
Why Wear Gloves When Handling Jalapeños?
I can’t stress enough how important it is to wear gloves while prepping jalapeños, especially this many. The peppers have capsaicin (which is also what makes them spicy) and that oil will irritate anything it comes in contact with – skin, eyes etc.
Assemble the bacon wrapped jalapeños:
Fill each jalapeño with the cream cheese mixture. There really isn’t an easy or neat way to do this. But I used an offset spatula to fill them with cream cheese.
Cut 12 slices of bacon in half and wrap a half slice of bacon around each of the filled jalapeños. Secure with the seam side down or with a toothpick and repeat.
What Bacon Is Best For Bacon Wrapped Jalapeños?
I like to use applewood smoked bacon, however any would be just fine. I like to set my bacon out to soften up a bit which makes them easier to stretch and wrap around the filled jalapeños..
Bake in a 375° oven for 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. If needed, you can flip on the broiler to crisp them up more (I don’t ever need to do this) just watch them carefully so they don’t burn.
Serve immediately alongside your favorite dip.
What Dip Goes With Bacon Wrapped Jalapeños?
The pepper still has a little bite to it, the bacon is smoky, salty and crisp while the cream cheese is ooey and gooey and flavored by the combination of chives, spices and rendered bacon fat.
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeños
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (set out 30-40 minutes prior to making)
- 1 cup cheddar jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon dried chives, or 1½ to 2 teaspoons fresh
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 12 medium jalapeño peppers
- 12 slices apple wood bacon, sliced in half
- Preheat your oven to 375°.Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place an oven safe wire rack into the pan. Lightly spray the wrack with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, cheddar jack cheese, dried chives, garlic powder, smoked paprika and onion powder. Stir well to combine and set off to the side..
- Wear gloves while prepping the jalapeños.Cut each pepper in half lengthwise and, over a bowl, use your (gloved) fingers or a small spoon to remove the seeds and ribs. If you want them to have some extra heat, you could leave a little of the rib and seed attached.
- Divide and fill each jalapeño with the cream cheese mixture.
- Wrap a half slice of bacon around each of the filled jalapeños. Secure with a toothpick and place seam side down on to prepared pan.
- Bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. If needed, you can flip on the broiler to crisp them up more (I don’t ever need to do this) just watch them carefully so they don’t burn.
- Serve immediately alongside your favorite dip!
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!