This Andouille Cajun Rice Skillet is a quick and easy one skillet dinner, perfect for any night of the week. Flavorful andouille sausage is browned and mixed with peppers, onions and brown rice in spicy cajun tomato sauce.
This was our dinner on Monday. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, rice cookers area amazing! It’s like a slow cooker for your rice and utterly foolproof. Earlier in the day, I threw brown rice in my rice cooker so it would be ready by the time I had to start dinner, therefore cutting down the cooking time significantly. I’m on my second one and all I do is measure in the rice and water and push a couple of buttons. So easy! And in 20 to 40 minutes (depending) poof! rice. I like to use brown rice in this recipe because of the wholesome flavor, however white rice would work too. The rest of this meal can be pulled together in no time.
It’s a skillet recipe that is one of those that I really have fun making. One with just enough cooking and without a ton of peeling, chopping or measuring. A simple but flavorful dish that tastes like it took you all day. And bonus, it’s satisfyingly filling too.
It got rave reviews all across the board, with the exception of Malloree who made leftover chicken because she’s convinced she hates rice. Who hates rice?
To Make This Andouille Cajun Skillet You Will Need:
- andouille sausage (cooked)
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- red and yellow bell peppers
- cajun seasoning
- kosher salt
- tomato paste
- low-sodium chicken broth
- roma tomato
- brown rice
The 12 ounces of andouille sausage I’m using is already cooked. However, I sliced it into coins because I throw it in a hot skillet with some oil, as a result the edges will caramelize and add texture and even more flavor.
Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Drop in the sliced andouille, stir and spread in an even layer to cook and caramelize. This should only take about 5 minutes. Try not to over stir them so the sausage has a chance to brown. Then transfer the sausage to a clean plate and reduce the heat to medium.
In the same skillet, drop in 1/2 cup each of the sliced onions and red and yellow peppers. Stir and cook until the onions are translucent and soft and the peppers still have a bit of texture to them. Then add in 4 cloves minced garlic, 1 rounded teaspoon of cajun seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Continue to stir and cook for a minute or two.
Once cooked, transfer the seasoned onions, garlic and peppers to the plate with the sausages.
Add in 3 ounces (or 1/2 a 6 ounce can) of tomato paste to the skillet. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
Pour in 1 cup of low-sodium chicken broth and gently stir to dissolve, scraping any browned bits off of the bottom of the pan. Thus, creating a sauce.
Next add in 1 chopped roma tomato, stir and bring to a simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Then add in the cooked brown rice, crispy sausage and sautéed peppers and onions.
Stir to combine and heat thoroughly.
Lastly sprinkle with mince fresh parsley and freshly ground black pepper. Finally, I serve this andouille cajun rice skillet in bowls as is or with crusty bread.
The flavors in this dish is phenomenal! First, the andouille sausage is delicious but secondly, it’s the combination of cajun spices, veggies and all of that garlic!
Andouille Cajun Rice Skillet
- 1½ cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 ounces andouille sausage, sliced
- 1/2 a red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 a yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 a medium yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- minced fresh parsley, for serving
- freshly ground black pepper, for serving
- Cook rice according to package directions or following your instruction manual to your rice cooker. Brown rice takes about 30 to 40 minutes to cook while white rice takes around 20 minutes. Making it in advance will shorten the cooking time of this recipe.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the sliced sausage and toss to coat in the oil. Spread in an even layer ad cook until the edges of the andouille is browned. About 5 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a clean plate.
- Next, reduce the heat under your skillet to medium and add in the peppers and onions with a pinch of kosher salt. Toss and cook until the onions are translucent and the peppers have softened but are still a bit firm. Add in the minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning. Stir and cook for 2 minutes before transferring the vegetables to the plate with the sausage.
- Then add in 3 ounces (1/2 a 6 ounce can) of tomato paste. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually pour in the chicken broth and chopped tomato, stirring to combined and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add in the cooked rice, sausage, peppers and onions and heat throughly until hot. Top with minced parsley and freshly ground black pepper before serving.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!