These 30 minute chicken sausage Italian vegetable kebabs are colorful, delicious and easy! Perfect for busy weeknight dinners or a lazy summer weekend.
Kebab threading is therapeutic.
Not only is sticking vegetables and hunks of meat oddly calming but it’s has this way of allowing me to take out my aggression on trivial things; like my grocery store being out of stock of my favorite toasted coconut almond milk or dealing with the fact that my cat pawed a nearly full glass of water off my daughters bookshelf and on to her (carpeted) floor. OH and then there was the part when I went to preheat my grill (luckily before finishing skewering) and found that I was out of propane. WHY?? Oh, that’s right, because I forgot to shut a burner off the last time I used it. Typical.
But not to worry! My husband told me there was an extra gas tank and guess what? I, Laurie McNamara, changed the propane tank. I’m sure many of you are like “big deal, Laur” but in my 30+ years of life I’ve never changed a tank before. Pat always has done it because I was afraid I’d blow up our house or blow up our deck. But I neeeeeeeeded to cook these kebabs on our outdoor grill and I did not want to have to resort to my cast iron grill pan because it’s small and would take me way longer. So I changed the gas tank. All. By. Myself.
And our house and back deck is still standing.
To Make These Chicken Sausage and Italian Vegetable Kebabs You Will Need:
- red onion
- orange and red bell pepper
- yellow squash, sliced
- cremini mushrooms
- olive oil
- italian seasoning
- red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- coarse black pepper
- Italian chicken sausages
- fresh basil
A far as prep goes, chop: 1 large red onion and both a large red and orange bell pepper. Slice: 1 medium yellow squash, 2 to 3 zucchinis (depending on size you may have to slice the rounds in half). Clean: 1 entire container of cremini or white button mushrooms.
Then arrange them in OCD rainbow order. Kidding, that’s not necessary (unless you are me).
Throw the veggies (in rainbow order- still kidding! sort of…) into a large bowl.
Drizzle the vegetables with 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil (eyeball it!) and season with a tablespoon of Italian seasoning.
Season with a generous pinch of dried red pepper flakes, kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper.
Toss to get the seasoning and oil coating the veg, adding a little more oil if necessary.
Next, cut the chicken sausages into fourths…
There really is no rhyme or reason for skewering, just a little bit of everything.
Enjoy feeling the days annoyance leaving your body, one stab of a vegetable at a time.
Typically I will always have leftover sausages and vegetables because I only have 10 skewers. Lucky for me, I have a grill basket, so I just add those to that and grill them “loose”.
Boom! Kebabs. So pretty and colorful.
Preheat your grill to medium-ish. Once hot lay the kebabs on the grill…
Oh and while you’re at it, preheat your grill basket [affiliate] while the grill is heating up. Then dump the “loose” veggies and sausages into it and listen to the sizzle-sizzle.
Since the chicken sausages are pre-cooked, you just need to close the lid for a few before turning them to get grill marks and char on all sides of the skewers.
Looooook! Smells freaking fantastic too!
Seriously this is one of my go-to, easy any-night-of-the-week meals. We love the Italian chicken sausages (I use aidells -and no they did not pay me to name-drop) and am honestly quite addicted to them! But the flavor of the grilled vegetables is so so good too! And together they live happily ever after.
Because I’m the only person in my family that likes mushrooms so I get theirs and I’m so okay with it.
Sometimes I’ll serve these chicken sausage vegetable kebabs with rice or just as is with some grilled naan or sliced Italian bread. And because there isn’t a sauce, but the veggies and sausage are plenty juicy that I don’t need one. Simply sprinkle with some chopped fresh basil.
30-minute Chicken Sausage and Italian Vegetable Kebabs
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 3 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 container cremini mushrooms, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 to 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 Italian chicken sausages, cut into four 2-inch pieces
- chopped fresh basil, for serving
- In a large bowl toss together the vegetables with olive oil, Italian seasoning, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Add more oil if needed.
- Skewer the vegetables and sausage pieces onto metal skewers (soak wooden skewers for at least 1 hour before using). If you have leftover veggies and sausages, combine them in the bowl. These can be grilled together in a grill basket.
- Preheat your grill (and grill basket if using) to medium heat. Once hot place the kebabs on the grates and add the "loose" veggies and sausages to the grill basket. Close the lid for a minute or two before turning the skewers. Toss the veggies and sausages in the basket every once and again.
- Once the vegetables are tender yet firm and with good grill marks, remove and serve immediately.
- Serve with chopped fresh basil over top.
- Serve with cooked rice or with grilled naan or sliced Italian bread.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!