Chewy Fruit and Nut Granola

In this chewy fruit and nut granola, thick cut oats, pecans, almonds and dried cherries are tossed and baked in a honey, maple and vanilla buttery syrup.

I’m super excited to tell you about this granola. I know, how can granola be exciting? It can’t really, but this chewy fruit and nut granola isn’t like, just any granola. It’s packed with dried fruit, TWO kinds of nuts and oat-y goodness enveloped in a honey-maple-vanilla hug.

The breakfast of champions. Get your spoons ready.

Fruit and Nut Granola via www.SimplyScratch.com #recipe

I usually eat breakfast right after I drop my youngest off at school, my cup of coffee and before I do anything else. If I don’t eat, I’ll get crabby and suffer from caffeine shakes. Sometimes I fry up an egg and have it over turkey sausage, or I’ll have peanut butter toast, but the one thing I make most often is what you see above; a big fat bowl of oats, nuts and berries.

I made this recipe out of necessity. I was literally going through a bag of Bear Naked fruit and nut granola A WEEK! It’s kind of embarrassing to admit. But we’re friends right? Plus it can’t be any more embarrassing then when I admitted to how I finished off those sweet potatoes and while at a restaurant too! I cringe.

Obviously I couldn’t justify a bag of granola a week addiction, and when I started to make special trips to Target just for granola I knew I had a problem. I mean, who goes to Target and only gets granola? I’ll tell you… NO ONE. So with that thought in mind, I set off to make my own version.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com oats

First, you’ll need 2-1/2 cups of old fashioned rolled oats. I’m pretty fond of Bob’s Red Mill extra thick cut oats… they’re my favorite. (this is not a sponsored post, they did NOT pay me to say that… it’s the truth, yo!}

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com wheat germ

Then add in a quarter cup of wheat germ… for a little extra somethin-somethin.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com kosher salt

Don’t forget the quarter teaspoon of kosher salt.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com stir

Then give it a stir to combine.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com coarsely chopped nutsFruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com chopped cherries

Next, coarsely chop up the pecans and almonds. Do the same to the dried cherries. However, you could use any dried fruit; apricots, cranberries, blueberries… you get the idea.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com add nuts and cherries

Then throw them into the bowl with the oats.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com combined

Stir to combine and then move on to the sweet stuff, which is the best part in my opinion.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com Maple Syrup

Next, in to a small saucepan, add a half a stick of butter and pour in 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com honey

Them add in a 1/4 cup of honey.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com vanilla extractFruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com stir to combine

Once the butter has melted, remove off of the heat and add in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Then stir to combine.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com pour

Next, pour the honey-maple-butter into the bowl of oats, fruits and nuts.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com mixed

Then stir to coat.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com granola dump

Next, spoon the granola out onto a lightly buttered, rimmed metal baking pan.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com spread

Then spread it out in an even layer and bake in a 350° oven for 10 minutes.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com toss

Next, remove the pan and gently stir the granola. Then spread it back out on the pan and bake for an additional 5 minutes.

Ps. This smells all sorts of amazing. PPS. I took a spoonful of it and ate it while it was still soft and warm.

I die.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com frothy egg whites

After the granola has baked for 15 minutes, pull it out and give it a toss. If you’re like me and like your granola with clusters, well this is what you do. Grab an egg and separate the yolk from the whites and whisk those whites until frothy.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com add to granola

Next, pour it onto the warm granola.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com spread out again

Toss the granola in the frothy egg whites, spread it back out one more time and bake for 5 to 7 more minutes. Even if you’re skipping the egg white, you’ll still want to bake it for the additional time.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com crumbles

Whether you opt in or out of the egg white, when you pull the granola out of the oven it will still a bit soft. Allowing it to completely cool or almost completely and then toss it around or crumble it into chewy chunky clusters. Store the granola in an airtight container for a couple of weeks.

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com bowl

This is how I like my granola…

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com kefir

Homemade granola with a drizzle of kefir or yogurt on top…

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com fresh berries

Homemade granola with kefir annnnd fresh berries… now that’s the ultimate. Like dessert for breakfast… but good for you.

I’m a big fan of kefir. Kefir is a tangy, basically lactose free fermented milk… similar to yogurt. It’s thin, making it pour-able and perfect for drizzling over granola. I love it!

Fruit and Nut Granola ll www.SimplyScratch.com

Truth: It has always irked me that I got very little nuts in my bagged granola. Why so stingy? The best thing about making my own chewy fruit and nut granola is that now I get all the pecans and almonds I want. Bonus!

Fruit and Nut Granola l www.SimplyScratch.com bite

That annnd it’s granola you won’t chip a tooth on. Here, have a bite. Jussst kidding… don’t you wish?

Enjoy! And if you give this Chewy Fruit and Nut Granola recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!

Fruit and Nut Granola via www.SimplyScratch.com

Yield: about 3 cups.

Soft and Chewy Fruit and Nut Granola

Soft and Chewy Fruit and Nut Granola
I based this recipe off a favorite brand of granola. Thick cut oats, pecans, almonds and dried cherries are tossed and baked in a honey, maple and vanilla buttery syrup.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes

Ingredients

• 2-1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats [I use Bob's Red Mill extra-thick cut oats]
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more or less to taste
  • 1/3 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
  • 1/3 cup pecan halves, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 egg white [optional]

Instructions

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a rimmed sheet pan with butter {or coconut oil}.
  2. In a bowl combine the oats, wheat germ, salt, chopped nuts and dried fruit.
  3. In a small saucepan add the butter, maple syrup and honey. Heat over low until the butter melts. Add in a half teaspoon of vanilla extract and stir until smooth and completely combined.
  4. Pour the butter-maple-honey into the bowl with the oats and toss to combine.
  5. Spread the granola out onto the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes. Stir and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
  6. Remove, toss and add the whisked egg whites.
  7. Stir and bake for 5-7 more minutes.Remove and let cool completely before breaking into clusters.

Notes

If omitting the egg white, simply baked for a total of 20 minutes and let cool completely.

26 Responses to “Chewy Fruit and Nut Granola”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 22, 2014 at 6:39 am

Such a fabulous way to start the day!! Love this recipe!

Abigail — May 22, 2014 at 7:04 am

This looks like summer in a bowl!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — May 22, 2014 at 8:07 am

I want this right now!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — May 22, 2014 at 8:35 am

There are so many good things happening in this granola. Love it. Pinned!

Milena — May 22, 2014 at 8:38 am

I don’t know that I could love this post any more than I do!

“I like to call this… the granola dump. Which actually sounds better in my head than it does typed out.” haha I honestly DID laugh out loud!

This sounds perfect! I’m absolutely in love with the granola at Panera, it’s a maple-flavored thing that I just haven’t been able to find anywhere else. This sounds like a much better home made version of it.

Also, I couldn’t agree more about packaged yogurt being stingy on the nuts! I too would love to “dump” in lots of extra pecans and almonds 😉

• Laurie McNamara replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 11:28 pm

Thanks Milena! I hope you try this granola and come back and let me know what you think! Oh and I’m so glad I’m not the only one who feels jipped by granola brands! 🙂

Liz@Virtually Homemade — May 22, 2014 at 9:56 am

Love homemade granola especially the chewy kind!

Bromley Carpet Cleaners — May 22, 2014 at 10:25 am

Mmm, looks very delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Laura @ Raise Your Garden — May 22, 2014 at 11:46 am

I have never made my own granola before, but I’m eager to try! Always looking for something different for breakfast, eggs bore me after awhile =)

And Target,….ahhh, I can’t even drive past Target without dropping 100 bucks!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 11:29 pm

Oh Laura… your life will be changed! You’ll probably still drop some dough at Target, but it won’t be on granola 😉

Eunice — May 22, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Sounds delis! Just wondering if I could replace the wheat germ with ground flax seed? I am gluten free. TIA Eunice

• Laurie McNamara replied: — May 22nd, 2014 @ 12:37 pm

Absolutely Eunice! Great question! 🙂

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — May 23, 2014 at 11:09 am

I get excited about granola 🙂

Anna (Hidden Ponies) — May 23, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Homemade granola is just impossible to get sick of! I eat it all the time, and have won over all my kids – even my one year old eats it for breakfast! Love your version.

Meredith — May 24, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Totally delicious way to start the day!

Maureen — September 27, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I landed on your page because I googled “soft granola recipe” and what grabbed me was that I am trying to stop spending money on the Bear Naked! Do tell, is this as soft and chewy as their Fruit & Nut?

Kari — October 5, 2014 at 9:14 am

Thank you for such a great recipe! 🙂

I’m looking forward to making this but I have a question: can the extra granola be stored for use later in the week? And if so, how would I store it, in the fridge?

Thank you and looking forward it to making it:)

• Laurie McNamara replied: — October 5th, 2014 @ 9:24 am

Hi Kari! Yes… In an airtight container in your cupboard

Amanda — February 25, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Made this today and it was great! I left of the egg white this time…due to not having time 🙁 The granola was wonderful… I think I’ll add just a TINY bit more nuts next time tho! Will be making at least once a week…thanks!! I can’t wait to make it again next week but using the egg white 🙂

Binnie — April 16, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Have you tried adding quinoa to it?

Ursula — June 6, 2016 at 4:33 pm

I’m curious what the egg white does – what am I missing? Thanks btw for this recipe, cannot wait to make it!

Jessica — September 12, 2016 at 10:16 pm

I am in love with this granola!!! I just made it and the only change I made was I used salted butter, but I love the salty sweet flavor and I can’t stop eating it!!

Cynthia — June 6, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Wow! Yum! I added some Trader Joe’s freeze-dried fruit (strawberries, blueberries) which was awesome. They added fruity crunch to the fruity chew. I always wondered how to make clumpy granola so the egg whites was an exciting development. I made the batch and with the help of two friends managed to demolish it within 72 hours. Delicious!!! Thank you for creating such a reliable recipe that is as wonderful as it is easy.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 18th, 2017 @ 8:39 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! And I love that you added freeze-dried fruit! 🙂

Cynthia — April 16, 2019 at 12:54 pm

Hi Laurie,
    I have made your granola a number of times and love it, but I’m struggling with the egg white. Can you provide any advice on how to add this in a way that doesn’t cook itself into eggs? Usually some of it works great and the granola forms nice clusters without evidence of eggs. However, other clusters become chewy and white from the egg whites, like it is scrambled egg white with granola pieces. Do you have a trick to prevent this? Thanks! Cynthia

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 20th, 2019 @ 8:14 am

Hi Cynthia! I would try adding only half the beaten egg whites to the granola. Hopefully that does the trick! Please keep me posted 🙂