Turkey Slop

Turkey Slop is shredded turkey in a homemade pan gravy ladled over creamy mashed potatoes. A lunchroom favorite turned into a cozy comfort food. This is a delicious way to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey!

Turkey Slop l SimplyScratch.com

If you went to junior or high school where I did you are keenly aware of what turkey slop is. For those of you who didn’t, Turkey Slop was this delicious lunch item on our schools cafeteria menu. It was the BEST and right up there next to beef sticks, tostadas and French toast sticks.

What is turkey slop? Essentially it’s shredded turkey in a savory gravy over mashed potatoes and was my husband’s FAVORITE hot lunch served. On those days Pat would get triple lunch (yes, that’s a thing) where he would get 3 serving of turkey slop, taking up 95% of his styrofoam lunch tray. It was obscenely hilarious.

Being the good wife I am, over the years since we’ve been out of high school to make him a homemade version of turkey slop. Early on I used cream of chicken soup (GROSS!) and then as the years went on and I discovered how to make a lusciously creamy pan gravy by using butter and flour and broth and milk and even though it’s not an exact replica of our cafeteria fave but it’s definitely a fancy yet not-so-fancy version. And we love it.

Turkey Slop ll SimplyScratch.com

I admit that it doesn’t look like much but it’s a scrumptious way to use up leftover turkey. Because shredded turkey gravy over creamy mashed potatoes with homemade dinner rolls to swipe the bowl clean with, is the coziest, comfort food in all the world.

_DSC1045

If you don’t have leftover turkey, the good news is that you can make this anytime of the year, by using turkey breasts or tenderloins. You can poach, roast or pan fry them and then simply shred them into bitesize pieces. However leftovers from Thanksgiving are always best.

With that said, you will need 4 cups of shredded cooked turkey.

_DSC1105

Start by melting 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat.

_DSC1299

Then, once melted and the pan is heated, throw in a cup or so of finely diced yellow onion.

_DSC1319

After about 8 to 10 minutes the onions should be tender, go on and add in 2 cloves minced fresh garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.

_DSC1331

Next add in 1-1/2 teaspoons of a good quality poultry seasoning. You can find my homemade version in my cookbook [affiliate]!

_DSC1333

Then sauté for about 2 minutes to soften the herbs and bring out their delicious herbaceousness.

_DSC1363_DSC1368

Next sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of flour, stir and cook the flour for 2 minutes.

_DSC1381

Then pour in 2 cups of turkey stock (or both).

_DSC1385

And then pour in 1 cup of whole milk.

_DSC1404

Next,  ring to a bubble and simmer until thickened.

_DSC1410_DSC1434

Lastly add in the leftover turkey and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.

_DSC1604

Finally, spoon the creamy and saucy turkey and gravy over top of creamy mashed potatoes.

_DSC1605

We like to serve with buttery corn, and if at all possible leftover green bean casserole and homemade dinner rolls. Lots of them.

Happy Day After Thanksgiving!

Enjoy! And if you give this Turkey Slop recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!

Turkey Slop l SimplyScratch.com

My cookbook Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy is now available! CLICK HERE for details and THANK YOU in advance!

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Turkey Slop

Shredded turkey in a homemade pan gravy ladled over creamy mashed potatoes. A delicious way to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Additional Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes

Ingredients

• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup finely diced yellow onion
  • 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons good quality poultry season
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups turkey stock (or broth)
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 4 cups leftover shredded turkey
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • Leftover Creamy Mashed Potatoes
  • Homemade Dinner Rolls

Instructions

1. Melt butter in a 10-inch deep sided skillet over medium low.
  2. Once melted add in onions and saute until softened, about 10 minutes. Add in garlic and cook 2 minutes.
  3. Next add in the seasoning and cook for another 2 minutes.
  4. Sprinkle in flour and cook for a minute or two before pouring in the turkey stock and whole milk. Bring to a bubble over medium heat until thickened.
  5. Add in turkey, season with salt and pepper to taste and spoon over warm, creamy mashed potatoes.

15 Responses to “Turkey Slop”

Amy L — November 28, 2014 at 12:35 pm

My youngest son, who does not care for turkey, says this is the only way he would eat it, and he’d skip the potatoes.

Carol+at+Wild+Goose+Tea — November 28, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Of course I am laughing at the title. My husband used to call anything of that nature—-a mixture of stuff—-burgoo. Then I found out that really is a term. I thought he made it up. Well I love the recipe and the blog. And lastly since it was over mashed potatoes, I game!

Liz@Virtually Homemade — November 29, 2014 at 10:56 am

Only you could make slop look so good!

Sarah D — November 29, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Made this for lunch today. Delish! Thanks for the recipe, all the other leftover recipes just weren’t sounding good enough to get back into the kitchen.

Sara B — December 28, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Will be making this for the 3rd time tonight! My kids absolutely love this with buttered egg noodles. And it seriously couldn’t be easier thanks to my grocery roasting Turkey breast in the store now! Sa-weet! Thanks for another keeper 🙂

Brenda McNamara — February 11, 2015 at 5:06 pm

I just made this for dinner. Soooo easy and delicious!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — February 12th, 2015 @ 10:06 pm

Yay! I’m so glad! ❤️

Janna — June 30, 2015 at 3:34 pm

My family loved this! I used a whole organic rotisserie chicken and chicken broth and it turned out great! I thought the gravy was too thin but once you add in the meat, it is very thick and filling! Made with mash potatoes and salad. My 15 month old went to town on this! She had it 3 times and finished the leftovers!

Leslie — January 23, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Thank you so much for posting this delicious recipe. I had forgotten all about turkey slop. It was one of the few school lunches worth buying back in the day. I Made a big batch and froze most of it. We had it again for dinner today. It was every bit as good as the first time we had it.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — January 24th, 2016 @ 5:12 pm

Oh you’re SO welcome Leslie!! I’m so happy you like it as much as I do! ❤️

Judith — April 25, 2017 at 1:44 pm

I had leftover turkey from Easter and made this. It was easy and delicious. My husband and three kids all enjoyed it. It was a cool evening too so it really hit the spot. Great comfort food recipe.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — May 1st, 2017 @ 8:04 pm

That’s great, Judith! Thanks for coming back and leaving a note 🙂

Mommyof3Cs — November 24, 2017 at 4:47 pm

I call this cat food gravy and my kids love it so did my husband I have access to the schools kitchen so I get to see how they make their food. They use canned turkey chunks and the glass jars of gravy and the Idaho instant potatoes. This is of course only at my kids current school. Not sure on how or if they add spices to there food most times not.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — November 29th, 2017 @ 8:10 am

Funny! I always wondered how they made it. I suppose this is a more gourmet version of what schools serve .

Shaurie — December 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm

I loved this recipe. I made a few tweaks only because I was out of salt. I used some soul food seasoning I bought a few months back that I found to be to salty. I’ve been using it sparingly because I’m trying to cut back on my salt intake. The gravy came out incredible and I served over rice instead of potatoes. Great job and keep up the good work!!