Homemade Pickled Banana Peppers

Got peppers? How about making your own homemade pickled banana peppers?

pickled banana peppers l SimplyScratch.com

I haven’t seen my counter tops in weeks.

So that might be a teensy bit of an exaggeration. But between my neighbor Charlie and his Cadillac-sized zucchinis and our friends Craig and Kelly… my counters have been covered in garden produce. Not that I’m complaining or anything. 🙂

pickled banana peppers l SimplyScratch.com (1)

From our friends garden I was given a bunch of these greenish yellowish peppers. So I did a little Google search to find out exactly what kind of peppers these were. I came back just as confused. They may be banana peppers they may be Hungarian wax {maybe a little of each?}. Luckily either can be used in this recipe, the Hungarian Wax being the spicier option which is what we prefer. I took a sampling of one and they were a smidgen spicy but nothing like a jalapeno.

So yeah I guess these homemade pickled banana peppers that are really pickled Hungarian wax? Maybe both? Honestly just use whichever you like or have growing in your garden this summer. And if you’re like me and can’t really tell the difference just throw them both together and have a mixed batch.

pickled banana peppers l SimplyScratch.com (2)

Start by washing, drying and slicing 1 pound of banana or {Hungarian wax} peppers. I didn’t have a full pound so I just adjusted the amounts. However I’ve given the full recipe in the printable at the end of this post.

pickled banana peppers l SimplyScratch.com (3)

Throw a smashed and peeled garlic clove into a jar.

At first I couldn’t find a jar to hold this batch so that’s why you see two smaller jars. I split large garlic clove in half and put one half in each jar. Moments later I found the jar {behind my coffee mugs} so I added them to the larger jar. Clearly I need to reorganize my cupboards.

pickled banana peppers l SimplyScratch.com (4)

Add the sliced peppers to the jar with the garlic.

pickled banana peppers l SimplyScratch.com (5)

In a medium pot add in 3 cups of vinegar plus two cups of water.

pickled banana peppers l SimplyScratch.com (6)

Measure and add in two tablespoons of kosher salt and one tablespoon sugar.

pickled banana peppers l SimplyScratch.com (7)

Bring it to a boil, stirring until the sugar and salt have dissolved then remove off of the heat. For crisp pepper rings allow the pickling liquids to cool before pouring over top.

pickled banana peppers l SimplyScratch.com (8)

Once cooled, pour the liquids over top of the pepper slices. Wouldn’t you know it was at this point that I found the larger jar so I just combined the two smaller jars into the larger one. Hey this is real life, man ;).

pickled banana peppers l SimplyScratch.com (9)

Bingo-bango-done. At this point they still are little on the green side, but as they sit in the fridge they will turn that classic yellow color and get even more amazing.

pickled banana peppers l SimplyScratch.com (10)

Just like my pickled jalapeno recipe {those are pictured in the background} I would treat this jar as you would refrigerator pickles. They should last a couple of months in the fridge and will lose their pungency and heat as the jarred peppers become past their prime.

You can also double the batch and can these by following standard canning procedure. Like boiling jars and lids, then pack the peppers into a jar and pour in the brine leaving a 1/2 inch to 1 inch space from the top. Screw on the caps, place into a pot with water that covers the jar(s) completely and bring to a boil for 10-15 minutes. Remove and let cool. The lids should give that tell tale pop sound. (more detailed instructions are below in the printable.)

pickled banana peppers l SimplyScratch.com (11)

I LOVE these homemade pickled banana peppers! Sweet and spicy and perfect on top of pizza, salads, hot dogs… straight out of the jar with a fork. Really, the list goes on. Now go on and get your pickled-pepper-on.

Enjoy!

pickled banana peppers l SimplyScratch.com

Homemade Pickled Banana Peppers

Quick refrigerated pickled banana peppers. Crisp, delicious with a smidgen of heat!

Yield: 1 jar

Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 30 to 50 minutes cool time

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 40 to 60 minutes

1 pound Banana or Hungarian Wax Peppers, washed and sliced {about 10-12 peppers)

1 large clove fresh Garlic, smashed and peeled

3 cups Distilled White Vinegar

2 cups Water

2 tablespoons Kosher Salt

1 tablespoon Sugar

Meanwhile add a clove of smashed and peeled garlic clove along with the pepper slices into a pint-size glass mason jar {or whichever sized jar you seem fits best}.

Ladle the cooled pickling liquids over top and secure the lid. Refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours before using.

FOR CANNING: To can these start by following standard canning procedures. Like boiling jars and lids for at least 5 to 8 minutes. Then add in the garlic clove and pack the peppers into a jar and pour in the brine leaving a 1/2 inch to 1 inch space from the top. Run a knife or fork around the inside parameter of the jar to remove any air bubbles. Screw on the caps, place into a pot with water that covers the jar(s) completely and bring to a boil for 10-15 minutes. Carefully remove and allow the jars to cool. The lids should give that tell tale "pop" sound.

Have you made Homemade Pickled Banana Peppers yet?

20 Responses to “Homemade Pickled Banana Peppers”

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — August 27, 2014 at 9:43 am

YESSSSSSS! This has been on my bucket list for years!! Can’t wait to try!

Millie l Add A Little — August 27, 2014 at 11:40 am

Yum! I love any pickle! I also love how you put them in little mason jars!!

Abby — August 27, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I happen to have an overproducing banana pepper plant just begging to be pickled! This seriously could not have been better timing.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — August 27th, 2014 @ 11:01 pm

I’m SO glad Abby 🙂

Megan {Country Cleaver} — August 27, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Yeah buddy!! I haven’t done any pickling this year – guess that is going to change.

Erin — August 28, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I’ve been reading your blog forever but haven’t commented. I have used your pickled jalapeno recipe before (and loved it)…today I decided I needed to figure out how to pickle banana peppers because I have one million in my garden, and here you come to save the day! Thank you so much, i can’t wait to get started!

Jen B — August 28, 2014 at 4:42 pm

OOOH I’ve been looking all over for a recipe for these! We like these on our pizzas. Thank you for sharing it. I hope to pick some up at the farmers market this week.

Carol at Wild Goose Tea — August 29, 2014 at 11:30 am

I don’t can anymore. But when I was canning I would have killed to have such nice instructions to follow and someone to ask questions from.

Elizabeth — March 24, 2015 at 12:34 am

I used this recipe for pickled peppers and banana peppers and shallots & garlic! I posted a photo on my instagram: stormdancer142
    I used brown sugar and added dill and rosemary to the onions and zuchini. Love the recipe, it’s simple and accurate, thank you for sharing this!
    -LIZ

Elizabeth Jacob — August 21, 2015 at 11:54 pm

What size jar is the more stout one? I have some short 8 oz. jars, would that work?

Jamie — September 28, 2015 at 10:16 pm

So if I did the can method how soon can I open them and eat them? This is my first year canning so I just wanted to check and see if these have the same kind of process as pickles or not? Thank you for the informative awesome recipe I am very excited to try them!

Melody Canterberry — June 17, 2016 at 10:48 am

Hi! I am growing banana peppers, and they are ripening at different times. Could I make a batch of the pickling liquid and store it in the refrigerator to use as needed?

Kel — September 19, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Do you brine them with pickling salt and cover with ice cold and let sit for approximately three hours. Or, you just go ahead wash and then can them?

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 20th, 2016 @ 9:48 am

Hi Kel, here is what I do: In a medium pot add the vinegar, water, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar and salt dissolve. Allow to cool.

Christy — June 11, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Thanks so much for this easy recipe. I have them growing in my garden and we love these peppers​ on everything.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 18th, 2017 @ 8:20 am

You’re so welcome, Christy!

Jodi Ogden — June 16, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Is the recipe the same for jalapenos?

Kelly — August 12, 2017 at 12:24 am

If using sweet banana peppers, should I omit the sugar? Thanks!! Looking forward to trying soon!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — August 16th, 2017 @ 9:28 am

It’s hard for me to say without testing the recipe myself. But my initial though is that I wouldn’t, but maybe cut back on it a little? I’d love to hear what you tried and how it worked out for you!