Easy Homemade Pickled Jalapeños

In the past year I think it’s safe to say between my oldest daughter, my husband and myself we’ve polished off at least 6 jars of pickled jalapenos.

Easy Homemade Pickled Jalapenos www.SimplyScratch.com

I’ve become strangely addicted to the vinegar-y tang and of course the heat. So much in fact that like Frank’s, I put that ish on everything. From tacos to nachos to pulled pork… oh my gosh I can’t get enough!

So when I used the last of the jar I had bought at the store, I randomly thought ‘if I made a big jar of my own then I wouldn’t run out all the time’. {*light bulb*}

And that was how the idea pickling my own jalapenos was born.

stuff

I’m quickly becoming quite the fan of pickling. I have to say, it’s really easy and these are crazy simple. You just need about 15 large jalapenos, two cloves of garlic and then vinegar, water, sugar and salt… Oh! And a jar to fit all of it in!

trim

Start off by trimming the tops off all the jalapenos.

sliced

Slice them into rings…

bowl

And push them off to the side.

garlic

In a medium sauce pan; drop in two peeled and slightly crushed cloves of garlic.

water

Pour in a cup of filtered water…

vinegar

…a cup of distilled white vinegar…

sugar

…4 tablespoons of sugar…

salt

…and two tablespoons kosher salt.

boil

Bring those to a boil, stirring until the sugar and salt are both dissolved.

add jalapenos

Add the sliced jalapenos into the vinegar bath…

added

And then remove the pot off of the heat. I did my best to press the sliced peppers down into the liquid.

pickling

After 10-15 minutes you’ll start to recognize the color of the jalapeno rings. They will start turning that split pea soup sort of green.

use tongs

Use tongs to remove the jalapenos…

fill'er up

And place them into a clean jar. Pack the pint sized jar FULL of ALL the pickled jalapenos.

top with pickling liquids

Then I used a ladle to pour the pickling liquid over top. I made a mess of it… as expected.

spicy goodness

I’m not gonna lie… I snagged like 2 or 8 of these… still warm. Yes, my mouth was on fire… but it was a delicious sort of pain.

pickled perfection

Let these cool down to room temperature before slapping a lid on a popping them into the fridge.

Easy Homemade Pickled Jalapenos 2  www.SimplyScratch.com

And if you have some jalapenos that are still are bit of the bright green, don’t worry. They’ll turn that ugly-green-color while chillaxing in the fridge.

You could definitely start using these right away, or you can just wait until the next time you make fajitas. Since I’m not planning on storing these on the shelf for a long period of time and because I have no idea how… I did not can these. For those who know how… these are totally can-able.

After these babes spent a little time in the fridge, I pulled them out for Pat to try. You know because he’s the guy who put habaneros on everything… so he was the perfect judge to critique these. And… they passed.

He said they were *bleeping* awesome.

And I have to *bleeping* agree!

Easy Homemade Pickled Jalapenos www.SimplyScratch.com

Easy Homemade Pickled Jalapeños

So easy. So spicy... you won't know what hit you!

Yield: 1 pint sized jar

Cook Time: 1015 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

15 large Jalapenos, stems trimmed {discarded} and sliced

2 Garlic Cloves, smashed and peeled

1 cup Distilled White Vinegar

1 cup Filtered Water

4 tablespoons Sugar

2 tablespoons Kosher Salt

In a medium sauce pan combine the garlic, water, vinegar, sugar and salt.

Heat to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Once at a boil; add the sliced jalapenos pressing them so they are submerged under the pickling liquids. Remove the pot off of the heat and let them sit for 10-15 minutes.

Use tongs to transfer the jalapenos into a clean jar. Ladle the pickling juices over top until you've reached the top of the jar. Let cool at room temperature before securing a lid and popping them into the fridge.

I personally, would treat these as I would any opened jar of jalapenos. They should last a long while if kept refrigerated in the airtight jar.

Enjoy!

90 Responses to “Easy Homemade Pickled Jalapeños”

Ari — May 23, 2013 at 7:39 am

Oh yes please! We LOVE pickled jalapeños!

Tieghan Gerard — May 23, 2013 at 8:16 am

Thank you!! We go eat way to many jars of these and I am so excited to make my own!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 23, 2013 at 8:19 am

I swore up and down I’d never like pickled jalapenos, but now I can’t imagine nachos or salads without them! Pinning this – the peppers are so cheap, so surely it’s a less expensive way to feed this addiction, right? ;)

• simplyscratch replied: — May 23rd, 2013 @ 2:35 pm

Absolutely! :)

Shelly @ Pastry Shells — May 23, 2013 at 8:27 am

I’m so glad to know how these are made! Can’t wait to try making these on my next canning weekend! Thanks!

Helena Mouta — May 23, 2013 at 8:45 am

Great idea! You know, canning them would actually be really even easier than pickling them… All you’d have to do is use a sterilized jar (wash it in the dishwasher and use it straight away, that should be enough), put the lid on while they are still piping hot, screw it on really tight and turn them upside down. This will force the air out of them and create a vacuum and there you have it, your very own canned pickled jalapeños! Give it a try sometime :-)

• simplyscratch replied: — May 23rd, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

I will! Thanks for the tip!

Bama Girl — May 23, 2013 at 10:38 am

Hi Laurie! These sound delicious! I can hardly wait to get some fresh from the garden! It will be awhile, but at least I have the recipe! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

Rouge — May 23, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Is it possible to use a mason jar or is it a special kinda jar? Can’t wait to try this.

• simplyscratch replied: — May 23rd, 2013 @ 2:33 pm

Any pint size jar will do :)

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — May 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm

These are “”bleeping** epic. That is all.

• simplyscratch replied: — May 23rd, 2013 @ 9:43 pm

HA! This is why I love you!

Michelle — May 23, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I have to try this! I love those pickled jalapenos. And I’ve made pickled carrots and pickled onions at home so why not jalapenos!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — May 23, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Who knew that pickling jalapenos was this easy?!

Herbivore Triathlete — May 23, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I grow my own jalapenos and love pickling them!

Lane @ Supper for a Steal — May 24, 2013 at 7:30 am

Awesome! I’m going to have to try this when I get a plethora of jalapenos.

Julie @ Texan New Yorker — May 24, 2013 at 11:59 am

I love pickled jalapenos, too! I started making my own several years ago. Word of warning: once you taste homemade, you can never go back to store bought as I’m sure you’ve already figured out! :)

Connie — May 24, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Hi Laurie. Love your blog and delicious recipes. I have to ask about the filtered water. I have never seen it at the stores. Is it like distilled water? Can’t wait to make your jalapenos. We also go thru alot of jars.

• simplyscratch replied: — May 26th, 2013 @ 10:30 am

HI Connie! Distilled would be perfect! You could also use filtered bottled water or if you have a filtration system on your home :)

Sarah Smith — May 29, 2013 at 8:42 am

I cannot even begin to express how easy and delicious these are! I love pickled jalapenos, but the thought never occurred to me to make them at home . . . not sure why.

Our pepper plants are so prolific. We end up throwing so much away or letting it go to seed on the vine. NEVER AGAIN.

Cannot.stop.eating.these . . . .

Jon — June 11, 2013 at 6:22 pm

How necessary is the sugar? I’m working through a Paleo-esque month that totally eliminates any sweetener. (Whole 30)
    I’d like to try this with some other veggies as well, not sure how much of a difference the sucrose makes to the flavor profile.

Thanks!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 11th, 2013 @ 10:40 pm

Hi Jon, I’m in no way a pickling professional… but I think the sugar is just for the flavor. If you wanted to try to make them with out I’d be anxious to hear how it turned out. Since the ingredients are pretty cheap I think it’s worth a shot to try it out! :)

kt — June 14, 2013 at 8:40 pm

if i don’t want to chop them and want to keep them whole, how does that change the recipe??

• simplyscratch replied: — June 14th, 2013 @ 11:05 pm

You may need two or more jars because it could be hard to pack them all in. SO I would think you may need to up the amounts of the liquids as well.

Darryl — June 16, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I didn’t see it mentioned if you cover the pot after adding the jalapenos. Yes or no?

Brittany — June 24, 2013 at 9:00 pm

For those of you who are looking for no sugar or just another option I actually ferment mine. I make a brine with 4 cups water and 1-1 and 1/2 tbsp of Celtic sea salt. Pour over sliced jalapeños and keep them loosely covered (so air can escape) for about a week. Healthy digestive enzyme goodness. Make sure to keep jalapeños under the brine line (I use an inverted 4oz mason jar cover with a weighted cup on top). It’s easy and healthy!

Julie — July 24, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I can all of my fruit with Sucralose (aka:Splenda).
    It works, just fine.
    I use a water-bath canner, and I’m going to try these with an equal amount of splenda. The vinegar is the preservative, here.
    Thanks for an EASY recipe! :)

Cheri — August 17, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Thank you for posting this absolutely fantastic recipe! My husband LOVES pickled peppers and our pepper garden is in overdrive (I can only make so many jars of salsa…), so your recipe is just the ticket! I might even add a few lightly steamed carrot slices and a touch of oregano to a few jars so we have “restaurant-style” pickled peppers and carrots. :) Either way, you have saved the day! Thanks! :)

Terri Miller — August 17, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Hi!
    Great idea! Just wanted to add my two cents. I’ve preserved food for years by canning and freezing. Your recipe is GREAT! I have a couple of comments to add to the other comment questions:

1. If you plan on canning anything, please make sure that everything is sterilized. To sterilize glass jars, put them in boiling water and let them boil a few minutes. Dishwashers don’t get them hot enough. You could be packing in some nasties if you don’t boil.

2. Pickled jalapenos are great without sugar, too.

3. For a treat to your digestive track try apple cider vinegar instead of the white. It’s awesome.

We’re getting ready to can a bunch! Love that you put garlic in!!

• simplyscratch replied: — August 17th, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

Hi Terri! I’m so glad you stopped by and added your two cents! Thank you :)

Melanie @ carmelmoments.com — August 21, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I’m gonna try this recipe today with my jalapenos. The recipe my hubby has been using is good but I’m gonna switch it this time and see if he notices the difference. :) I say hubby because I can’t stand the heat but my boys love it!

jar — August 24, 2013 at 12:40 pm

what kind of jar is needed dont want to buy a case of jars

• simplyscratch replied: — August 24th, 2013 @ 12:51 pm

You could really divide these among any jars you have :)

jar — August 24, 2013 at 1:08 pm

how long do they stay good in fridge

• simplyscratch replied: — August 24th, 2013 @ 2:15 pm

Well they are good for at least 3-4 months :)

Ryan K. — September 1, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Best nacho peppers ever. Just fill a BALL jar with fresh cut peppers, pour in the listed liquid and garlic, boiling. Seal the top and let sit until the lid pops – they can themselves. I still refrigerate. They turn out so good and they will still change color without simmering or boiling the peppers. Add a few chunks of carrot, they taste good too. The peppers are HOT and don’t get mushy or slimy like the store bought kind, which are very pickley. Great recipe, thanks. Note: DON’T ADD ANY PICKLING SPICE.

• simplyscratch replied: — September 1st, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

Thank you Ryan for coming and leaving a comment and a tip! That’s really good to know!

Greg — September 1, 2013 at 9:57 pm

We have 3 large jalapeno plants loaded with fruit and can’t wait to jar them using this recipe, thanks for sharing! One question, how long do you think they will last in the fridge before going bad?

• simplyscratch replied: — September 2nd, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

Hi Greg, ours lasted months and we actually went through the jar before the jalapenos ever went bad. So I’d say 4-6 months for sure :)

Michelle Henderson — September 2, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Thank You so much. These came out perfect. My mom and I love to can food and we canned them. So simple. I added carrot slices and onion slices like the “restaurant” one. Perfect!

Cheryl — September 4, 2013 at 4:54 pm

How long do the pickled jalapenos last in the fridge?

• simplyscratch replied: — September 4th, 2013 @ 10:33 pm

Hi Cheryl, 4-6 months… if they last long :)

Kay — September 7, 2013 at 7:59 pm

My husband sliced and I did the rest. We even put some baby carrots and small green tomatoes into the mix. What a great and simple recipe.

• simplyscratch replied: — September 7th, 2013 @ 9:04 pm

I’m definitely trying that next time! Spicy pickled carrots? mmmm!

Vidya Sury — September 15, 2013 at 10:25 am

I had exactly the same experience – and will never forget the day I first made my own homemade jalapenos! :D Except they were kinda reddish and looked gorgeous.

I just wondered – can we do the same with the fresno red variety? :D

I may as well confess I had a hard time not drooling all over the keyboard! :D

Gregg in Italy — September 16, 2013 at 6:43 am

Im gonna give these a shot today. I know alot have asked about the length of time, but is that time based on after you reopen them to start munching them down? Or is it still the 4-6 mths after you make them? I have 6 plants with maybe about a dozen jars worth of peppers on them. Here in Italy they only sell canned/jarred. So I would need these to last until next years harvest.

mike — September 21, 2013 at 8:45 pm

just did the exact recipe but with serano peppers and it turned out great

• simplyscratch replied: — September 23rd, 2013 @ 10:09 pm

Ooooh! I’ll have to try this!

Kathy — October 9, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Hi! I read this earlier this year and knew I wanted to try this so now that I am running out of tomatoes for making salsa with all my peppers, I want to pickle some. I am wondering why you specify filtered water for this. I am on a well so there’s’ no chemicals being added to my water but it is hard and we don’t have a softener; anything to do with these topics?
    I look forward to hearing from you! Thank you!!

• simplyscratch replied: — October 10th, 2013 @ 7:13 pm

Hi Kathy! I really think it is a personal preference and honestly I’m not sure what would happen if you used hard,non-filtered water. I’m not a canning/jarring expert so maybe try Googling it and seeing what you get from the internet :)

Dan — October 10, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe!

By far, the most successful thing in my garden is my jalapeno plants. I guess there are no natural predators in my area that like spicy!

I’ve harvested about three dozen peppers from my two plants four times since I planted them in April. I need more jalapeno ideas! :O

Daryl — October 11, 2013 at 10:19 am

After bottled the jalapenos and topped them off with the brine, I sliced up some baby carrots and soaked them with a little diced white onion and a few of the cooked jalapenos. Chill and you have a delicious side for Mexican food.

Jeff K. — October 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Just finished my 2nd batch of these. Terrific and easy recipe. They taste better than any jalapeno I’ve bought! Thanks!

April — November 3, 2013 at 6:44 pm

This is the second batch that I’ve canned. First time was about 5 jars, I’m expecting 10 with this batch. Ever since the first set I gave my sister and mom, they’ve been begging for more. We are down to our last jar, and these were especially a hit tailgating this year. Excellent recipe, thank you!

Andy — November 6, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I became addicted to hot peppers this year when I couldn’t take any medicine for colds & coughs due to bad interactions with other meds (peppers are an excellent remedy by the way). When my fresh ones ran out I found myself buying them at the store, but with way too much sodium for my high blood pressure. So I bought some fresh ones today, followed your recipe but with 1/2 the salt and they turned out great. Cutting it to 1/4 or less next time to see how low I can take it and still get a good taste.

T.R. — December 12, 2013 at 12:45 am

These are delicious. Nothing fancy just down home goodness.

• simplyscratch replied: — December 12th, 2013 @ 10:22 pm

Glad you liked them :)

Dennis Keeny — January 4, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I just made my 1st batch and really like them. However, I would like to make them crunchier. Can I accomplish this by leaving them in the hot brine for 5 minutes before putting them in the jar with the brine? Or, should I blanch them as soon as I remove them from the brine?

joanna — January 23, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Please warn people to wear gloves when handling Jalapenos!!!

Elizabeth — January 26, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe! I grocery shop at Trader Joe’s a LOT and for some reason, you can only buy jalapenos in bulk there. I used only 1 for a recipe this past week and will use the rest to make this!

Sarah @ Devour — January 26, 2014 at 5:27 pm

This just made my day! I have to buy jalapeños in packages of 6-8 and the extras always go bad. We also buy jars of pickled jalapeños weekly – I just never put two and two together. Thank you for the amazing recipe!

Le — March 5, 2014 at 11:07 am

Thank you so much foe sharing this recipe. I make this so many time already. People at our restaurant loved this so much, again thanks. I ‘m so addicted to your website(recipes), I can’t stop reading it the instructions are so easy to follow even thought my English is so little , I just like a good book I can’t put it down. I’m so glad I found your website . Best cooking recipes/instructions ever. Thank you so much!!!!!

Heidi — March 6, 2014 at 9:55 am

Thanks for the pickled jalapeno recipe. I freeze my extra jalapenos. Do you think it would work to make the pickled jalapenos with the frozen peppers?

• Laurie McNamara replied: — March 11th, 2014 @ 1:45 am

Great question Heidi, I personally would think so. I’m not positive but If you give it a whirl please come back and let me know :)

Charlie — March 30, 2014 at 7:32 am

Thank you for this recipe I have been searching for one that didn’t require pounds of peppers. I will be trying this tonight. Thank you again!!

Matt — April 19, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I freaking love these things. I started making them maybe six months ago and am currently eating them at a rate of about 1.5 recipes/week.

Note for the person above who asked about pickling frozen chiles — when you freeze them, the water expands, rupturing the cell walls. Thus, they’ll be quite soft when thawed. My personal opinion is that the reason this recipe is so excellent is that the chiles remain crisp while still getting a nice briny flavor.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:03 pm

So glad Matt! Thanks for the note on using frozen chiles… so extremely helpful!

Michele — May 2, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I want to say I truly appreciate this recipe!!! The first time I made these my husband ate the whole jar in less than a week. lol I just made a double batch tonight. For those wondering the cost….$1.87 for 30 peppers and I always have the rest of the ingredients on hand. So, for the price of 1 small jar at the grocery store I made 2 large mason jars which I am ecstatic about. Again, thank you for a wonderful recipe I will forever use!

bonnie devaney — May 7, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Will be making these this weekend I have about 40 jalapeno can not wait

Steven — May 10, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Great job. Can’t wait to do this! Matter of fact, heading to Walmart now.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — May 12th, 2014 @ 3:59 pm

Have fun and enjoy Steven!

Danna Smith — June 27, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Just added you to my favorites. Thank

Lindsay — July 15, 2014 at 5:40 pm

We are trying to can some jalapeños to keep for a while. Will this recipe work if we want to hot bath them after we put in the jars with the juice? Then we can store them outside the fridge?

Raven — July 16, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I just made my very first jar of pickled jalapeños with peppers fresh from our first garden. Your recipe was so easy and I’m sure they will be delicious! Thanks so much!

Hans — July 23, 2014 at 1:52 am

I need to give this a go. Thanks for posting. Nice job on the photos BTW.

Tina — July 24, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I’m making these now. Can’t wait til tomorrow to try them. I found keeping the stem on makes it easier to slice them. Start slicing at the pointed end. So eager to try these! Yummmm!!!

DB — July 25, 2014 at 8:47 pm

So amazingly simple to make, yet incredibly delicious. Ten times better than store bought pickled jalapenos and at a fraction of the cost. Thanks so much for the recipe.

Elle — July 27, 2014 at 2:42 pm

We’ve made these so many times…and they are always perfect! Don’t be surprised that they disappear VERY quickly. We mix other veggies in with them and have become home pickling machines since first finding this recipe many months ago. Just wanted to say thank you!!!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — July 30th, 2014 @ 9:14 am

You are SO welcome! I keep checking on my jalapeno plants progress so I can make these again! So glad you liked them! :)

1. Pingback: Pickled Jalapenos Recipe | Sporty Afros

2. Pingback: SP’s weekend foraging | spo/blog

3. Pingback: Jalepenos (cont.) | purepurrfections

4. Pingback: Peter Piper | Adventure to Whole Life

5. Pingback: Let's All Go Vegan! »

6. Pingback: The Low Life | Look What I Can Do! (Jalapenos ~ in a jar!)

7. Pingback: October Update « NC Garden Gals

8. Pingback: Autumn on Carbon Acres | Mass Climate Action Network (MCAN)

9. Pingback: pickled hot peppers : With a C.H.

10. Pingback: Jars | Home | Magalie Travels