Mediterranean Pizza {with Roasted Red Pepper Pizza Sauce}

There’s absolutely no way I could post pizza sauce recipe and NOT give you something to spread it on! I mean c’mon what kind of friend would I be?

The inspiration for this pizza comes from a mostly Michigan-based pizza chain that my friend Ann and I order from on the regular while at work for lunch. There it’s called “The Spicy Mediterranean”, but since I don’t find it very spicy, like at all, I didn’t want to confuse anyone with that kind of title. This pizza really isn’t spicy… unless you throw on some red pepper flakes!? Who’s with me?

It’s super simple to throw together. Make your favorite crust… slather some roasted red pepper pizza sauce {checkout that color folks!} and top it with a two different yummy cheeses, banana peppers and fresh oregano.

Hot damn… you’re gonna love this pizza!

I lightly, and I mean lightly, rubbed some olive oil on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Then sprinkled the tablespoon of semolina all over the bottom of the pan. The semolina will help the pizza from sticking while giving the crust some crunch factor.

After you’ve made the dough and let it do that whole rise thang, plop it onto the semolina’d sheet pan.

Using your fingers… stretch the dough out. Nothing perfect… think rustic.

Smear as much or as little of the roasted red pepper pizza sauce all over the dough leaving a little bit of an edge for your fingers to have something to hold on to.

Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups of freshly grated mozzarella or farmer’s cheese.

Top with as many banana peppers as you’d like… the sky’s the limit here.

Top with the remaining mozzarella.

Measure out about 1/4 cup of Feta cheese…

And sprinkle it over top. I almost forgot this key cheese, because after shooting the ingredient shot I popped it back into the fridge so it would soften too much. Well after my pizza was in the oven for like 10 WHOLE minutes I about freaked-the-heck-out because I almost forgot the Feta! Ya can’t make a Mediterranean pizza without the Feta. End of story.

Bake the pizza in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes… or just until the cheese is bubbly and a golden brown.

Sprinkle on torn pieces of oregano…

And slice this baby up!

There’s a zillion different ways you could go with this pizza. Olives, sliced red onions or even grilled chicken to add some protein. But this is how I like it. The sauce… oh man… that saaaaauce. Every time I open my fridge and see that bright red sauce, I reminisce about this pizza. So many flavors… so much cheese.

If I had to pick just one thing to eat for the rest of my life? It would be pizza… this pizza. Pizza Fo’evah!

Now get crack-a-lackin’ and make this pie STAT!

For my From Scratch Pizza Dough click here! For the Roasted Red Pepper Pizza Sauce go here!

Mediterranean Pizza

My version of a favorite pizza-chain's Spicy Mediterranean... but with a twist, Roasted Red Pepper Pizza Sauce.

Yield: 4-6 servings

Prep Time: 10 minutes {not including the time to make the pizza dough}

Cook Time: 15-20 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

1 recipe for Homemade Pizza Dough

1 to 2 tablespoons Semolina

A few tablespoons of Roasted Red Pepper Pizza Sauce {see my recipe box}

2 cups Mozzarella Cheese

1/4 cup Feta Cheese

1/2 cup {give or take} Mild or Spicy Banana Pepper Rings

Fresh Oregano Leaves, torn

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a large, rimmed sheet pan with olive oil and sprinkle the semolina, shaking the pan so it spreads out.

After you've made the dough and let it rise. Punch it down and spread it out with your finger tips in the center of the sheet pan.

Spread the desired amount of pizza sauce all over the pizza leaving an edge crust.

Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella, divvy up the banana peppers and sprinkle with remaining Mozzarella and the 1/4 cup of Feta.

Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is golden.

Once baked, let it cool for a few minutes before slicing.

Top with freshly torn oregano leaves and enjoy!

17 Responses to “Mediterranean Pizza {with Roasted Red Pepper Pizza Sauce}”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 31, 2012 at 10:48 am

Mmm looks awesome!!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — August 31, 2012 at 11:58 am

You’re killing me!!! I’ve been craving homemade pizza for a while and keep forgetting to make dough. Looks fantastic!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — August 31, 2012 at 12:43 pm

This has to be made THIS WEEKEND!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — August 31, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Y-E-E-E-E-E-E-S.

Sara — August 31, 2012 at 2:25 pm

This looks so good!

Anna @ hiddenponies — August 31, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Homemade pizza rocks my socks. That sauce has so many options too, I love this!

Cassie — August 31, 2012 at 6:06 pm

These are awesome flavors, Laurie…I eat banana peppers from the jar!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 31, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Wow, this is definitely my kind of pizza! Jason is going to be over the moon when I make this for him.

Julie @ Table for Two — September 1, 2012 at 1:06 am

this pizza looks amazing. i LOVE everything on here!! i would eat that red pepper sauce out of the jar, i’m obsessed with red peppers being turned into sauce ;)

Keisha — September 1, 2012 at 9:52 am

This pizza has everything a girl could want…..cheese, a slammin sauce, banana peppers….fantastic looking crust….and did I mention cheese! [sigh]…is it weird to propose to a pizza!?

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — September 1, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I bet your signficant other adores you – haha this pizza is a way to a man’s heart.

Bet — September 2, 2012 at 12:19 am

Ooh, this looks yummy! I just found your site and I’m very excited! I’ve been browsing recipes, and thought you might want to know that there is an error message for a lot of your recipes (and your contact info, which is why I’m mentioning it here!) Feel free to delete my comment, just wanted to let you know in case you didn’t! :o)

Sally @ Sallys Baking Addiction — September 4, 2012 at 10:21 am

When I saw that red pepper sauce… I knew it was going into something fantastic coming up! Laurie, this pizza looks perfect. Literally PERFECT. I haven’t made homemade pizza in ages. You have me craving it for breakfast lol

JulieD — September 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Looks beautiful, Laurie! I love homemade pizza and your red pepper sauce sounds amazing!

amy @ fearless homemaker — September 4, 2012 at 2:53 pm

This looks flippin’ amazing! Could I have two slices to go, please? =)

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — September 5, 2012 at 3:44 am

Wow, my pizzas never look this beautiful! What a delicious idea!

Carrie — October 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Love it! I need to make this recipe this weekend! What kind of pan do you have? I think I need that too.