Bacon Gorgonzola Guacamole

This bacon Gorgonzola guacamole is the guac that turned my husband into a guacamole LOVER! Salty bacon, creamy gorgonzola and some heat from jalapeno and chipotle. Go grab yourself a bag of chips!

I know what’s running through your mind. “Laurie, what in the H-E-double-hockey-sticks are you thinking?!?”

Bacon Gorgonzola Guacamole l SimplyScratch.com

I get it. This sounds absolutely CrAzY! But, then again so did this recipe and I hope I made believers out of some of you. So let’s discuss the “what and why’s” of this recipe. Sound good? Okay. Let us start with the “what”… This is none other than a kick-butt guacamole all jazzed up with bacon and blue cheese with a little smoky heat from chipotle chile powder and a little kick from a smidgen of cayenne. I see those wheels turning. The avocado is the backbone of this recipe… but the unexpected flavors of bacon and blue cheese really make this extra special. So special that it made a guac-hater into a guac-lover, aka my husband. In his words; this sh** is crack. {sorry}

Now for the “why”… because someone out there in the world ran out of cheddar and threw in some Gorgonzola and for that I thank them. It all started with a “Best Thing I’ve Ever Ate” episode where it was mentioned that bacon, blue cheese and sage were involved with some guacamole. I know right? Sounds Bizzzare. But… it.is.not. It’s crack. So I just took my guacamole and cranked up the flavor.

Start by sizzling up four strips of bacon, three for the recipe and one for you to snack on. You’re welcome.

Finely dice up half of a red onion… or about a quarter cup.

Smash and peel one garlic clove.

And give it a good mincing.

Halve a Roma tomato, scoop the innards out with a spoon and discard.

Slice into strips and dice them into small cubes.

Do the same with a half of a jalapeno. Remove the seeds and white membranes {because that’s where all the heat is yo!} and dice it up pretty fine. Now go wash your hands and avoid all kinds of injuries.

Drop all that into a small bowl and set it off to the side.

Halve two avocados and remove the silly little pit in the center. My avos are a little on the small side so I use four… if yours are leaning on the larger side use three.

avo1

Make a few slashes and scoop out the insides into a bowl and mash.

Since the first two avos are mashed… leave the second two in chunks and season with just a tad bit of salt.

And give it a little stir-zy.

Squeeze half of a smallish lime and gently toss it all around.

Add in the diced veggies and garlic.

Then add in some chopped cilantro about 1-2 tablespoons.

Add a little hot sauce of your choice.

Chop up the bacon strips…

blueandbacon

And add those PLUS a third cup of Gorgonzola cheese.

sprinkle

Sprinkle with the chipotle chile pepper and cayenne {Taste as you go so you can adjust it to your taste buds}. Give it a final toss and do a little happy dance. You know you want to.

Bacon Gorgonzola Guacamole l SimplyScratch.com

I know, it sort of looks like regular guac doesn’t it?

Bacon Gorgonzola Guacamole l SimplyScratch.com

But it’s so not! It’s freakin’ amaaaaazing! Make this Bacon Gorgonzola Guacamole ASAP!

Enjoy! And if you give this Bacon Gorgonzola Guacamole recipe a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

Bacon Gorgonzola Guacamole l SimplyScratch.com My cookbook Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy is now available! CLICK HERE for details and THANK YOU in advance!

Bacon Gorgonzola Guacamole

This bacon Gorgonzola guacamole is the guac that turned my husband into a guacamole LOVER! Salty bacon, creamy Gorgonzola and some heat from jalapeno!

Yield: about 2 cups

Cook Time: 12 minutes (for the bacon)

Total Time: about 15 minutes

4 small avocados

3 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped

1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced

1 garlic clove, smashed, peeled and minced

1/2 a jalapeno, seeded and diced small

1/3 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

1/4 cup diced red onion

juice of half a lime

1-2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped

1 tablespoon hot sauce (like Frank's Red Hot or Cholula)

a sprinkle of ground chipotle chili powder, to taste

a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, to taste

corn tortilla chips, for dipping

In a large bowl mash two avocados. Slice the remaining two and add to the bowl. Squeeze with half a lime and a pinch of kosher salt. Add in diced tomatoes, garlic, onion, jalapeno, Frank's Red Hot, Gorgonzola, bacon and chopped cilantro. Sprinkle with chipotle chile powder and cayenne to taste. Gently toss and serve with corn tortilla chips.

34 Responses to “Bacon Gorgonzola Guacamole”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 22, 2012 at 12:56 pm

see, i feel like i saw something like this guac on foodnetwork one day and thought it sounded AH-mazing…but to see all your photos of it makes it sound infinitely better! i'm totally drooling and counting down the days til i can devour gorgonzola again 🙂

modernworkinggirl — February 22, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I love that this guacamole is nice and chunky — perfect for piling onto a tortilla chip!

Julie @ Table for Two — February 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm

YOU, my FRIEND, are a pure genius. GENIUS. Who would've thunk to do this? Not me! And i'm SO glad you did..this sounds so good and it's the perfect combination!!! I love anything with frank's, Gorgonzola, avocado, & bacon. it's like seriously a match made in heaven!

Blog is the New Black — February 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Typically, I am a guac purist… but I'd branch out to try this!

Jennifurla — February 22, 2012 at 2:56 pm

this has my taste buds singing, what a cool alternative to normal guac.

Bev Weidner (Bev Cooks) — February 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm

WHAAAAAT? Oh my goodness I love you.

Tom — February 22, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I'm down with that! Avocado is like mayo, so why WOULDN'T it go with gorgonzola and bacon? The only thing I'm not down with in guac is tomato. I know everyone does it, but I've never really embraced it (and I LOVE tomato); otherwise, you can count on me making it!

Aarthi — February 22, 2012 at 3:59 pm

wow…that looks awesome..should try it someday

Haylee Erickson — February 22, 2012 at 4:18 pm

This blogpost just reminds me of how much I love food, haha.

Made in Sonoma — February 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm

All I can say is YES, YES, YES! I absolutely loveeee dips and this looks UH-MAZING! Plus, your pictures are SO gorgeous!

Julia @The Roasted Root — February 22, 2012 at 5:24 pm

This is the best guacamole recipe I have seen. There is so much flavor in your ingredients, I could make a meal out of this! I would have to triple the recipe if I made this for friends because it looks addicting. Gorgeous photographs and beautiful site. Your blog is one of my all time favorites – I would like to give you the Versatile Blogger Award (I'm sure you have already received it,

Jessica @ How Sweet — February 22, 2012 at 9:27 pm

it's entirely possible that you just combined 3 of my all time favorite foods!!

Jennifer — February 22, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Lots of photos! Sounds delicious! 🙂

Taylor — February 22, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I'm going to have to try this recipe this weekend so you can make a believer out of me!! Looks unusually delicious 🙂

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — February 23, 2012 at 3:17 am

I am not a fan of blue cheese, but I am all about the bacon in this! We could live on guac in our house!

Christine's Pantry — February 23, 2012 at 3:51 am

Guacamole is nice and chunky… love it.

Maria @ Orchard Bloom — February 23, 2012 at 4:02 am

You managed to combine all of my favourite flavours into one bowl. I'm salivating. Need to make this asap!

Kiri W. — February 23, 2012 at 11:18 am

Now that's unlike any guacamole I've ever had – sounds very interesting, though I am not a lover of bacon!

Our Pinteresting Family — February 23, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Sounds amazing!!! 🙂 I can't wait to try.

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — February 23, 2012 at 1:29 pm

This is not crazy, this is blissfully perfect and I need need need this right now. Please.

Tabitha (a.k.a. Penny) — February 23, 2012 at 4:05 pm

This is amazing! I cannot wait to try it. Made sure to pin it and would love for you to consider joining our Weekend Potluck linky party on Friday.

April — February 23, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I want to grill a chicken breast and top it with this stuff on a sandwich. Yummilicious!

RavieNomNoms — February 23, 2012 at 6:16 pm

What an interesting guacamole!!

Tiffany — February 23, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I love guac and this sounds especially amazing! Such great ingredients that really bring a new flavor to an old dish.

kale @ tastes good to me! — February 23, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I could eat guacamole all day every day. And I am a "bacon makes everything better" believer. This looks fantastic!

Natalie — February 24, 2012 at 1:31 am

doesn't sound weird to me, just awesome!

Kirsten/Comfortably Domestic — February 24, 2012 at 4:51 am

Adding bacon to guacamole just sounds all sorts of awesome. This is so happening around here tomorrow!

Carrie — February 24, 2012 at 12:12 pm

This is the best looking Guacamole I have ever seen. YUM! You don't even need chips… just eat it by the spoonfuls!

kita — February 27, 2012 at 3:58 am

Wasn't thinking anything about hockey sticks – I was thinking damn right! This guac sounds so good.

Robby — May 15, 2014 at 8:46 am

So glad you referenced this in today’s post! I want this on a burger right now. 6:45am, right now. Burger. Yum.

1. Pingback: Avocado Remix | | Bloomspot BlogBloomspot Blog