Peanut Butter Glazed Brownie Doughnuts

The past few posts were chocked full of veggies. Healthy, delicious and contained not a thing to feel guilty about. There was so much healthiness going on that I promised over the weekend that on Monday… I’d give you chocolate.

Did I mention the chocolate was going to be drenched in a peanut-buttery glaze?

Oh and the sprinkles? They’re just a bonus!

I’m not really sure when it was that I decided to make brownie doughnuts. Maybe it was these cookies that continue to haunt my every thought. But on Saturday morning I decided to take the base of one of my most favorite brownie recipes and spin it into doughnuts. Poof. Magic! Ahhh yes a magically delicious doughnut. A doughnut which crumbs were saved by crook in the second book of The Hunger Games that hasn’t left my grip since I ended the first book Friday night. That’s right… even while I packed boxes, made dinner and drank wine. My life is really rough.

Start by getting all that prep work out of the way. You can either spray your pan {you know how I love my Misto!} and smear it around with a paper towel, or lightly grease it with coconut oil. Crack the eggs into a separate bowl to help adding the eggs into the brownie batter a bit easier and it also will eliminate any shells getting into your batter. Lastly measure your sugars out.

Add the 1-1/4 cups of flour,  1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and a half teaspoon of each baking powder and kosher salt into a mesh sifter.

Give it a good sifting and set that off to the side for a moment.

Grab the 8 ounces of unsweetened chocolate and give a coarse chop so everything is roughly the same size.

In a sauce pan add the stick of butter along with the chopped chocolate and place it on your stove-top over low heat. Don’t go too far because you’ll need to stir this often.

Once the chocolate is melted and smooth, add in both the dark brown and white sugars. Stir until the sugars are incorporated.

The chocolate should be only slightly warm and not hot, so add each of the eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition.

Next you’ll need to grab that bowl of sifted dry ingredients. Gradually add in a few tablespoons, stirring well after each until they are worked in as well.

Now all you have to do is spoon in the batter and smooth it around with the back of your spoon. Fingertips work exceptionally well here… you can trust me on this. Lastly, pop the pan{s} in a 325 degree oven for 12-14 minutes. Watch closely so you don’t over bake these! When I inserted a tester only a little of the batter came off onto the skewer. Keep in mind that they will continue to cook further as they cool in the pan.

Once out of the oven, let them cool {in the pan} until you can touch them without scorching yourself. About 8-10 minutes.

Turn them out onto a wire rack to finish the cooling process. While that’s happening you can move onto the glaze, which {let’s be honest} is the best dang part.

This is the kind of glaze that will harden as it cools. It will crackle when you bite into it and leave a little behind in the corners of your mouth to enjoy later on {yum!}. This glaze is so amazing that I’m thinking about glazing apple slices with it, whatcha think?

In a medium bowl add the 1-1/2 cups of powdered sugar {stir to break up any clumps}, the 4 tablespoons of smooth peanut butter, a teaspoon of real vanilla extract and 4 tablespoons of whole milk. Stir it all until it’s smooth. In case you are wondering, there’s really no need to heat the pb up, it will blend nicely when you add in the milk.

Dunk. Drip. Lick your finger tips. Heyyyyy now!

Place them back onto the rack… and go grab your sprinkles. Chocolate chips, chopped peanuts or maybe even toasted coconut would be deeeeelicious as well! The sky’s the limit!

You can be nibble on these babies while sipping on coffee or an ice cold glass of milk and it really doesn’t matter whether it’s morning, noon or night. Sadly this is really the only bonus of being an adult, dessert anytime. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have one of these beauts waiting for me and I have to get back to my book and find out what happens to… *POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT* Katniss and Peeta in the Quarter Quell! See you on the flip side!

she likes

Ps. I think she likes these. What do you think?

Peanut Butter Glazed Brownie Doughnuts

Brownies in doughnut form, drenched in a fabulous peanut butter glaze!

Yield: one dozen

1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt

FOR THE GLAZE:

1-1/2 cups Powdered Sugar

4 tablespoons Smooth Peanut Butter

4 tablespoons Whole Milk

1 teaspoon Real Vanilla Extract

Sprinkles, chopped peanuts or toasted coconut, optional

FOR THE BROWNIES: Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Prep your pan with olive oil spray {wipe out any excess} or lightly grease with coconut oil.

In a sauce pan, place the broken pieces of chocolate and the stick of butter. Melt over low heat, stirring often. Once melted, remove off of the heat and add the sugars, stir and set aside.

Next sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a large bowl and set aside.

To the slightly warm chocolate/sugar mixture add in one egg at a time stirring after each additional egg. Then add spoonfuls of the flour/cocoa mixture and stir with a spatula until smooth.

Pour batter into prepared doughnut pan and bake in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes or until a tester comes out with a trace amount of batter. It shouldn't be runny.

Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then remove to a wire rack and prepare the glaze.

FOR THE GLAZE: In a medium sized bowl lightly whisk the powdered sugar to break up any clumps. Add in the peanut butter, vanilla and whole milk. Stir until silky smooth.

Dunk the cooled doughnuts into the glaze and turn glaze-side-up back onto the wire rack. Top with chocolate sprinkles, chopped peanuts or toasted coconut if desired.

Enjoy!

38 Responses to “Peanut Butter Glazed Brownie Doughnuts”

Maria — June 25, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I need these in my life! I posted chocolate and pb today too:)

Jennie @themessybakerblog — June 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Seriously, these look amazing. I just purchased a donut pan, and I have a feeling I’m going to become addicted to homemade donuts. I’m so trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Lauren — June 25, 2012 at 1:47 pm

YES!!!!!!! So happy about this recipe, you have no idea…

sally @ sallys baking addiction — June 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Laurie, these look positively DELICIOUS! As a huge pb/chocolate fanatic, I can certaintly say this recipe has MADE my otherwise dull Monday morning. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm

the best part about this is that i have every.single.ingredient already in my pantry and ready to go. i can’t wait to start baking!

April — June 25, 2012 at 3:04 pm

these look amaaaazing..chocolate+pb=best combo ever. I love the Hunger Games!!! I read through the series in a week because I couldnt put them down!

Cassie — June 25, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Each layer of these doughnuts is simply amazing Laurie. Love, love, love!

DB-The Foodie Stuntman — June 25, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I like the fact that these are doughnuts, but they’re baked, not fried (I know, I know, kind of like ordering a double cheeseburger, large fries and a diet Coke). Either way, peanut butter and chocolate is one of my favorite flavor combinations!

jill — June 25, 2012 at 4:15 pm

First, these look so incredibly delicious and I will make them. Second, I did not know there was such a thing as doughnut pans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and third, I can see I will be adding an additional 5 miles of walking to my week. I do not think I can made this only once a week;-)

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your site. Thanks for so many wonderful recipes.
    blessings, jill

Emily @ Life on Food — June 25, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Although I liked the veggie recipes, these doughnuts definitely have a place in my heart. They look so yummy. I need a doughnut pan stat!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 25, 2012 at 5:06 pm

One of my highest viewed posts is choc donuts with PB glaze – they’re more like a “chocolate donut” than they are a “brownie donut” though. I love the idea of a brownie, in donut form!

Kari@Loaves and Dishes — June 25, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I just love all things chocolate and peanut butter.

Julie @ Table for Two — June 25, 2012 at 5:54 pm

oh lord, this makes me gain weight just looking at the pictures. i love you for that. i want to eat my screen now haha

Devon | the food bitch blog — June 25, 2012 at 6:20 pm

OMG. I am going to have to try to make these as mini donuts. They look incredible!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — June 25, 2012 at 6:34 pm

LOL….you said brownie and had my attention and then I read more and you said peanut buttery glaze. You’re killin me here, girly – this looks too good to be true! Yum! Hope you had a fun weekend. :)

Jen @ Savory Simple — June 25, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Anything with chocolate and peanut butter immediately wins my heart!

Demetria Provatas — June 25, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Whoaa I’m going to try these- that sounds SO good.

Kathryn — June 25, 2012 at 7:36 pm

How have I never had a brownie doughnut before?! WANT!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — June 26, 2012 at 10:00 am

This is pure heaven! I love this!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — June 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Brownies for breakfast with peanut butter – amazing!! Now if only I had a donut pan. Maybe I will just make mini brownies :)

Our Kitchen Inventions — June 26, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Oh, my Oh, my Oh, my….all of that chocalate goodness, and I am just about to eat lunch…help me resist temptaion !!!! LOL!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — June 26, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Oh my, you’ve really outdone yourself here! These look amazing! I’d sell an arm and a leg to have like 5 of these right now.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — June 27, 2012 at 3:22 am

Oh my gosh!! These are just pure heaven!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — June 27, 2012 at 11:53 am

Obviously the perfect combo of flavors – and that batter. That batter! It looks so dense and chocolatey!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — June 27, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Oh my goodness!! These are incredible! I need to make these!

Diana — June 29, 2012 at 12:10 am

Wow, doughnuts- brownie- Peanut butter Glazed, I love them!

I’m a big fan of chocolate and peanut butter, together they’re a truly delight. As soon as I get a doughnut pan, I’ll make them right away. Thanks for the recipe, and have an excellent (almost) weekend! :D

Javelin Warrior — June 29, 2012 at 4:19 am

These donuts are so tempting! I’m featuring this in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I always love dropping by to see what you’ve created…

Jessica @ How Sweet — July 3, 2012 at 1:12 am

GIRL.
    these are crazy.
    WANT!!

Amy (Savory Moments) — July 8, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Oh my goodness — these look amazing! Very pretty and very, very yummy looking.

KG — July 18, 2012 at 11:46 pm

You could even substitute caramel for the peanut butter and top it with coconut and pecans…German chocolate cake doughnut, anyone?

Mandie @ Oh So Decadent — October 22, 2012 at 1:27 am

…. This recipe just stole my heart.

Shannon — February 18, 2013 at 11:06 am

Can you make this in a loaf or muffin pan? If so, what would be the changes in temp or time?

• simplyscratch replied: — February 19th, 2013 @ 8:15 am

To be honest I’ve never tried it so I wouldn’t feel comfortable giving you exact temps. If anything maybe try the muffin pan and check on it every 4 or 5 minutes until they are done :)

Ashley — March 22, 2013 at 10:52 am

I made these last night for our donut club at work and they are fabulous! My husband and I both loved the texture and how moist the cake turned out. I used Ghiradelli bittersweet chips for the chocolate and those worked out perfectly. I also thoroughly enjoyed the peanut butter glaze – great flavor without being too sweet. My only complaint was that it took me awhile to get the batter into the pan since it was so thick and I am such a perfectionist. Next time I would use a second pan so I could put them all in at once instead of making 6 at a time, waiting for them to cool and then putting the next batch in. I noticed the longer the batter sat the harder it was to work with.

Thanks for a wonderful baked donut recipe!

Maggie N — May 28, 2013 at 8:00 pm

So excited to try these! I have the same pan – how deep should I fill them?

• simplyscratch replied: — May 29th, 2013 @ 12:36 am

Just below the top :)

Aqiyl Aniys — March 29, 2014 at 9:28 am

Your doughnuts definitely look like a sweet tooth and chocolate fix quenchers. Awesome pictures.