Shamrock Shakes

When March arrives besides celebrating St. Patrick’s Day and stuffing my face with corned beef & cabbage, I always look forward to splurging on a certain fast-food chains certain minty-green shake.

TK photo 13

Well, I’m happy to say there’s no need to wait in the drive-thru line to get one of those shamrock shakes because I found a recipe on The Newlywed Chefs blog, and now we all can make it and sip on something deliciously similar in the comfort of our own home.

Vanilla ice cream and chocolate cream-filled cookies blended into a thick shake; who could resist that? For all of those who didn’t give up any cookies, sweets or ice cream for Lent, these shakes are for you! For those who did give-up goodies, hang on you’re almost there!

Start by adding a few chocolate cookies into a food processor. In order to make a cup you’ll need about twelve or so.

Grind them all down until a fine crumb.

Reserve a cup and set aside. Here’s a thought; in the end sprinkle any leftover cookie crumbs over these shakes for a little chocolaty-crunch action! Now of course I didn’t think of that until after the shake was gone and the only evidence left was the tinge of green on the corner of my lip, but next time… next time, it’s so happening.

Okay, moving on. You’ll need four cups of ice cream added into your blender.

Add in the eight tablespoons of milk.

A teaspoon of mint extract.

And then 3/4 teaspoon of green food coloring. You don’t need to add the food coloring if you don’t want to… I normally, as a rule, don’t use food coloring when I cook… but these were a special exception to that rule.

Lastly, pour in the cup of cookie crumbs.

Believe me when I say I could have EASILY called it a day and walked away with this and a straw, but I somehow knew you’d be a little peeved if this was the end of the post.

So I fought the urge, replaced the lid and let the blender run until everything is well combined.

Then I poured the frothy shake into four of my favorite glasses, added a dollop of homemade whipped cream and plopped a cherry on top! I also drank mine down in one giant gulp, but that’s neither here-nor-there.

These will blow your mind. I’ll definitely be making these shakes again, and often (March or not!).

Shamrock Shakes

Yield: makes 4

4 cups Vanilla Ice Cream

12 Newman's Own Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

8 tablespoons Whole Milk

1 teaspoon Mint Extract

3/4 teaspoon Green Food Coloring

delightfully borrowed from The Newlywed Chefs

Place the chocolate cookies into the bowl of your food processor and blend until it resembles cookie crumbs. Reserve one cup.

Add everything into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into your favorite glasses and serve with homemade whipped cream and a cherry on top. Use any leftover cookie crumbs as sprinkles.

19 Responses to “Shamrock Shakes”

Maria @ Orchard Bloom — March 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm

oh wow, this looks dangerous!

RavieNomNoms — March 16, 2012 at 1:48 pm

What a frekkin' lovely shake this is! Nicely done missy. I mean, this might be the PERFECT drink for St. Patty's.

Made in Sonoma — March 16, 2012 at 2:01 pm

seriously, wow!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — March 16, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Mmm that's a whole lot of delicious right there!

Aarthi — March 16, 2012 at 2:20 pm

this drink looks so spooky..i will try it soon…

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — March 16, 2012 at 2:55 pm

This shake looks super yummy! I might add some booze to it! lol

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 16, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Stephanie~ my thoughts exactly!

Beth Michelle — March 16, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Doesnt get much better than this! YUM!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 16, 2012 at 4:21 pm

seriously, could this be any prettier? i think i need a spiked version too ;)

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 — March 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I am NOT a fan of corned beef and cabbage but I AM a fan of this shake! I'll try and make them tomorrow!!

Julia @The Roasted Root — March 16, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I like your take on the Shamrock Shake! I haven't seen a recipe with chocolate sandwich cookies in it and to me, this is the best part! Your recipe looks refresheing and delicious. Don't they say the greener it is, the more nutritious it is? Yup, let's go with that! :)

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 — March 16, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I just got back from the store and I bought fat-free milk and Breyer's low-fat cookies and creme so I didn't have to buy the sandwich cookies (I can not have another package of cookies in my house!). So I'll just add the mint extract and food coloring. It'll probably come out less thick, but this is my extent of celebrating!

kale @ tastes good to me! — March 16, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Ooh, I love Breyers ice cream!

Turmeric n Spice — March 17, 2012 at 3:42 am

i have to make this for my girl she loves shamrock shakes :)thxs

Shutterbug — March 17, 2012 at 7:16 am

It looks so yummy! And I hear ya about the food colouring. I don't like artificial colours either.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — March 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Yummy!! We made our own version of these last night at home! No cookies in ours though :(

Julia — March 14, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe – it will save me from going to McDonalds before hosting book club this weekend! I’m planning to make these with Creme de Menthe instead of the mint and food coloring – has anyone tried this?

• simplyscratch replied: — March 14th, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

oooh! Let me know how they turn out!

Julia — March 16, 2013 at 9:05 pm

The shakes were DELICIOUS!! What a great way to start the day. I substituted creme de menthe for the food coloring and mint extract, and decreased the milk by half (because I added about 1/2 cup of booze). Also, found Newmans Own “hint of mint” cookies, a perfect extra touch of flavor. Thanks for your help!