Best Fried Egg Sandwich

I’m a sucker for a fried egg sandwich.

Fried Egg Sandwich l SimplyScratch.com

Perfect for breakfast or lunch! This recipe is another one of my childhood favorites. Although I think my mom put ketchup on hers, I swapped that out for cheese. I’m not a huge ketchup fan, unless it is used in a recipe. But feel free to add some ketchup to yours if you like!

When I make fried egg sandwiches for my girls, they always ask if the special salt is on the eggs, which would be the Lawry’s seasoning. I don’t fry eggs without it. It’s what makes this sandwich fantastic!

Here is what you will need: bread, cheese, eggs, all purpose seasoning salt (I have a recipe in my cookbook), black pepper, butter and olive oil.

Let’s get something straight. I have no idea why I put the whole stick of butter in this picture. You don’t need a whole stick, just a tablespoon. I also forgot to put the olive oil in the picture, I blame hunger.

Toast your bread…

When the toast pop and are still hot, lay your slice of cheese on top, so they have a chance to start softening up a bit. I use either sharp cheddar or colby jack because it gets all stringy and yummy. Pat prefers Kraft singles on his.

In a large pan over medium heat, add a couple turns of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter.

When the pan is heated crack in your eggs. I only do a couple at a time, otherwise the whites run together and things can go downhill quickly.

Next sprinkle with seasoning salt and black pepper.

Fried Egg Sandwich l SimplyScratch.com

I like my egg yolks on the runny side but the whites have to be cooked. So I wait until the whites are opaque or set and then I carefully flip. I don’t use a timer, but if I had to guess it’s about 20 seconds or so. Just until the whites are no longer goobery. Sorry, but that’s the best way to describe it.

Fried Egg Sandwich l SimplyScratch.com

Then I place the two eggs on toast without the cheese. It’s an art form I tell ya! 😉

Top the eggs with the other slice of toast – with the cheese and then cut in half diagonally.

Fried Egg Sandwich l SimplyScratch.com

And there you have it the best fried egg sandwich… EVER!

Fried Egg Sandwich l SimplyScratch.com

Oh! And the best part is you can use your sandwich to pick up any yolk on the plate. Have mercy.

Are you ready for the best fried egg sandwich??

Enjoy! And if you give this Fried Egg Sandwich recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!

My cookbook Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy is now available! CLICK HERE for details and THANK YOU in advance!

Fried Egg Sandwiches

Just like my Mom use to make!

Yield: makes 1 sandwich

Cook Time: about 10 minutes

Total Time: about 10 minutes

2 large eggs

2 slices of bread

1 thin slice of cheddar or Colby Jack cheese

all purpose season salt, to taste

freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1 tablespoon butter

a few turns of olive oil (about 2 tablespoons)

Toast bread and top one slice with cheese.

Place the butter and olive oil in a large pan and heat over medium heat.

When heated, carefully crack in the eggs. Season with season salt and black pepper.

When the whites are opaque flip until the yolk is cooked as you like.

Top the other slice of toast with with the two fried eggs then sandwich together and cut in half diagonally.

27 Responses to “Best Fried Egg Sandwich”

Jennifurla — August 6, 2010 at 3:16 am

I love you, love that you posted this. I love love a fried egg sammie, love it with parmesan

Nichole — August 6, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Looks great!

jennaseverythingblog — August 6, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Looks awesome! I love the runny yolks . . . my husband not so much, and he doesn't know what he's missing. I will definitely be making this.

Amanda @ Bakingwithoutabox.com — August 6, 2010 at 8:37 pm

This looks so good. Such beautiful photography makes me want to snatch the sandwich (and the cheese especially) right off the page. Wow!

Anna — August 6, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I'm so glad I tumbled into your blogland! Your photography is wonderful (great header, by the way!) and I'm now seriously craving a fried egg sandwich.

Megan — August 7, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Mmm, that looks so delicious!!

Christine — August 8, 2010 at 1:32 am

I will ALWAYS make my fried egg sammies with Lawry's. It is so amazing!! AND I have to tell you…after all the packing for the move..out of the 4 seasonings I have left to take with me are Cinnamon, salt, pepper and Lawry's. 🙂 xo

The Bitch Stopped Cooking — August 8, 2010 at 3:07 am

Those are some great pictures! Looks delicious. I am going to try it on an english muffin!

S. A. — August 10, 2010 at 1:33 am

I just ate, but I got hungry again after reading your blog. Yummy.

Mary — August 12, 2010 at 3:50 pm

So yum! There's an award waiting for you on my site.
    🙂

Kate — August 25, 2010 at 4:31 pm

OMG – we always put Lawry's Seasoned Salt on our eggs – Love the recipe! Kateiscooking

eatfeats — October 17, 2010 at 9:10 pm

This looks so good! I've yet to fry an egg without cracking the yolk (which I HATE), so I have to stick with steaming mine.

Kim — October 18, 2010 at 12:37 am

It is 8:30 at night, I have already eaten dinner but I wanna go make this right now. I never thought to leave the yolk soft for an egg sandwich.

Jane Ko — October 18, 2010 at 6:01 am

Yum.. I need one of those now 🙂

Haley — December 18, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I just made this for breakfast and it was delicious!

Kori — January 3, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Yummy! I love making fried egg sandwiches for lunch when we're low on groceries… so delicious and satisfying! And yours sounds extra tasty. Thanks for sharing a way to spice up the old classic 🙂

plumbing — August 2, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Place folded slices side-by-side on the bread, rather than stacking them on top of one another.

Anonymous — December 19, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Just made this and it was SO easy and delicious!

catering Fort Lauderdale — January 24, 2012 at 5:47 am

Being able to eat healthy and delicious food is very important especially for breakfast. This fired egg sandwich is a great example of such. Its nutritional value is a great way to jump start anyone's day, just like bagels. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous — January 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm

We prefer our egg sammiches scrambled instead of fried – but I'll have to try the Lawry's trick next time!

Nothing, but nothing beats an egg sammich with bacon on a weekend morning. NOTHING!

wedding venues South Florida — April 26, 2012 at 2:35 am

Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day. This egg sandwich recipe is perfect for such since it is not just delicious but also healthy. Thanks for sharing a wonderful and nutritious recipe.

yoruichi — July 3, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Going to the store now. that looks so good!!

1. Pingback: {Best} Fried Egg Sandwich | Well Cooked

2. Pingback: 11 Egg Dishes You Should Try Before You Die

3. Pingback: Messy – dinner promt

4. Pingback: Huevo ecologico VS huevo convencional | Ekomer productos ecológicos

5. Pingback: Fried Egg Sandwiches recipe – 07Recipes