It’s never a bad idea to have a Basic Cornbread recipe in your repertoire. A simple and delicious cornbread that comes together easily and under 30 minutes.
Everyone needs a basic cornbread recipe in their repertoire. A go-to recipe that calls for simple ingredients and is easy to whip up and goes with just about anything.
This is mine! I make it all the time because the whole recipe, comes together and bakes in about 30 minutes. It’s great served with chili, pulled pork and sheet pan dinners, but most recently with jambalaya. However, I could easily eat it by itself with softened salted butter.
To Make Your Basic Cornbread Recipe You Will Need:
- fine yellow cornmeal (in a pinch coarse corn meal can be substituted)
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- baking powder and baking soda
- kosher salt
- low fat buttermilk
- unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
Preheat your oven to 425℉ (or 220℃) and grease (or spray with non-stick baking spray) a 9×9 baking dish.
Start by grabbing a large mixing bowl. Measure and add 1 cup yellow cornmeal, 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
Use a whisk to combine the ingredients.
In a separate bowl or in a measuring cup, combine 1-1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk and 2 large eggs.
Pour the buttermilk and egg mixture into the dry ingredients.
Mixing until just about combined.
Add in 6 tablespoons melted and cooled unsalted butter.
Mix until combined. Some lumps are okay.
Pour the cornbread batter into your prepared baking pan.
Slide the pan onto the middle rack of your preheated oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes. The top should be golden in spots and a tester (or toothpick) should come out with only a few crumbs attached after being inserted in the middle of the cornbread.
Allow the cornbread to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Perfect crumb, perfect flavor, perfect cornbread!
Serve with salted butter.
Your Basic Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- Preheat your oven to 425℉ (or 220℃) and grease (or spray with non-stick baking spray) a 9x9 baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and kosher salt. Whisk to combine,
- In a separate bowl (or liquid mesauring cup) add the buttermilk and eggs. Whisk well to combine before pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Stir until just combined and pour in the melted butter and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!