Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup is light, comforting and full of flavor. A soothing coconut and red curry soup loaded with chicken, vegetables and is served with scoop of thai jasmine rice and lime wedges.
It’s officially soup season!
I love this time of year because it’s all about crisp weather and cozy soups. Believe it or not, but there used to be a time when I was intimidated by making soups. If you’ve been here for a while you remember my slow cooker chicken noodle “soup” fiasco. *cringe* That recipe still haunts me.
However over the years, I’ve really come to love making soups. I think the soup section here has almost 50 recipes! And this thai coconut curry chicken soup is just too good not to share. It’s my go-to soup for when I need something soothing and light. The flavor is mellow but oh-so incredible.
And leftover reheat beautifully for days.
To Make This Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup You Will Need:
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- kosher salt
- zucchini and yellow squash
- thai red curry paste
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- unsalted chicken broth
- unsweetened coconut milk
- coconut cream
- cooked thai jasmine rice – for serving
- green onion – for serving
- cilantro – for serving
In a dutch oven, add 1 tablespoon extra light olive oil, 1 diced yellow onion and 1 carrot, halved and sliced (about 3/4 cup) with a pinch of kosher salt.
Stir and cook 5 to 8 minutes until softened. Then add in 3 cloves minced fresh garlic, stir and cook 1 minute.
If you desire some ginger flavor:
Consider adding 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger.
Next add in 1-1/2 pounds of diced boneless skinless chicken thighs. Continue stirring occasionally until fully cooked.
Add in 1 yellow squash and 1 zucchini that has been trimmed, quartered and sliced – stir and cook 5 minutes.
Measure and add in 3 tablespoons thai red curry paste and stir that in with 1/2 teaspoon each garlic and onion powder.
Lastly, pour in 4 cups unsalted chicken broth, 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk (not light coconut milk) and 1/2 of a (15 ounce) can coconut cream.
Give that all a final stir and simmer, uncovered, over low heat for 1 hour.
Finally add in 3/4 cup peas (frozen or thawed) and heat through.
Taste and season with salt to your liking.
For me, since I use unsalted broth, it needed about 2 teaspoons. However if you’re using low-sodium broth instead, you will most likely need less.
Ladle soup into bowls, add a 1/4 cup scoop of cooked thai jasmine rice and garnish with sliced green onions, torn cilantro and a few lime wedges.
Prepare to fall in love.
Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced 1-inch
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 medium yellow squashed, quartered and sliced
- 3 tablespoons thai red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 quart 4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk, full fat
- 1/2 a (15 ounce) can coconut cream
- 3/4 cup peas
- 2 cups cooked thai jasmine rice, for serving
- cilantro, for garnish
- sliced green onions, for garnish
- sambal or sriracha, for spice
- In a dutch oven, add olive oil, onion and carrot with a pinch of salt. Heat on medium to medium-low, stirring occasionally until tender. About 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook 1 minute.
- Next add in the diced chicken thighs, stir occasionally until cooked through.
- Add in the diced zucchini and yellow squash, stir and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the curry paste, garlic and onion powder.
- Pour in broth, coconut milk and coconut cream. Simmer, uncovered over medium-low heat for 1 hour.
- Stir in peas and season with salt to taste.
- Ladle soup in bowls and garnish with 1/4 cup scoop of thai jamine rice, green onions and cilantro.
- Add a little sambal oelek or sriracha for some spice.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!