This Tahini Nut and Seed Granola is packed with nutrition and FLAVOR! Thick cut oats, a plethora of nuts and seeds and spices tossed in honey-coconut and tahini. Baked until crisp and crunchy and ready to top your next cup of yogurt.
We had our Easter meal the week before because Pat and I have been in the process of removing old window treatments, painting the wood trim and doors white (FINALLY!) and repainting all of the walls of our great room and foyer. It’s been a lot of work, patching and sanding nail holes, all the cutting in and the coats of paint – because of course the first color I chose, once it was up we didn’t like. Needless to say I’ve had absolutely no time to blog because basically it’s been a sun up to sun down project with one too many trips to Lowe’s.
Nothing ever goes as smoothly as you hope.
With some small things still left to do, like replacing outlet and light switch covers, but can wait on those, but for now I’m in love with the space. Still cozy but so much brighter! There’s nothing like a fresh coat of paint (and white trim) to make a room feel brand new. Throughout these work days I would grab a handful of this tahini nut and seed granola for a quick snack and to keep me from reaching for Reese’s peanut butter eggs. Crunchy and nutty, a little sweet and a little salty and SO delicious.
It is perfect with kefir or your favorite yogurt and fresh fruit but is perfectly delicious on it’s own.
Inspired by my recipe for pb &jgranola and a few opened jars of tahini I had in the fridge, is how this granola recipe was born. Using tahini instead of a nut butter is a great twist on traditional granola flavors.
To Make This Tahini Nut and Seed Granola You Will Need:
- thick cut rolled oats
- unsweetened flaked coconut
- sliced almonds
- sunflower seeds
- shelled pumpkin seeds
- toasted sesame seeds
- coconut oil
- light brown sugar
- sesame oil
- vanilla extract.
So there’s a lot of ingredients but it comes together easily, I promise.
In a 10-inch deep sided skillet (or a sauce pan) combine; 1 cup tahini, 1/2 cup [melted] coconut oil, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/2 cup honey and 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil. Heat on medium-low, stirring until everything is velvety smooth. Remove this off of the heat and allow it to cool for 15 to 20 minutes to thicken back up a bit.
When it has cooled a bit (it can still be a little warm) stir in 1-1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
In the meantime, in a large mixing bowl combine 4 cups rolled oats, 1 cup [lightly salted] cashews, 1 cup sliced almonds, 1 cup coconut, 3/4 cup [shelled] pumpkin seeds, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/4 cup quinoa, 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon each of ground ginger and nutmeg.
Pour the thickened tahini mixture over all those oats, nuts and seeds and toss to combine.
Divide the granola mixture among two lined, rimmed baking sheets and slide into your preheated 325° oven to bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Toss the granola every 10 minutes, while rotating and swapping the pans to ensure even browning.
Once the granola is golden brown, remove and let it cool on the pan. The tahini nut and seed granola will crisp up even more as it cools. Feel free to snag a piece or two as it cools. It’s so hard to resist!
Crispy and crunchy, sweet and salty and texturally sublime with all those seeds and nuts and oats. Yum!
This tahini nut and seed granola makes a lot, 12 cups to be exact but I’ll be sharing a recipe idea with you that my girls and I have been loving for these last few weeks. So stay tuned, but in the meantime…make this granola!!
Tahini Nut and Seed Granola
FOR THE WET INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
FOR THE DRY INGREDIENTS:
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats, I used Bob's Red Mill thick-cut
- 1 cup cashews, lightly salted
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup shelled pumpkin seeds, pepitas
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, more or less to taste
- Preheat your oven to 325° and line two rimmed, metal baking sheets with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- In a 10-inch deep sided skillet (or a sauce pan) combine; tahini, coconut oil, sugar, honey and sesame oil. Heat on medium-low, stirring until smooth. Remove off of the heat and allow this to cool for 15 to 20 minutes to thicken. Then add in the vanilla extract.
- Then in a large bowl combine; oats, cashews, almonds, coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, quinoa, sesame seeds, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Next pour the thickened tahini mixture over the oats mixture. Taste and season with the kosher salt, more or less to taste.
- Divide the granola among the two prepared pans, spread evenly and bake in your preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes and rotating and swapping the pans to ensure even cooking, until the granola is deeply golden brown.
- Allow the granola to cool on the pans before storing.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!