These Sweet and Smoky Bar Nuts are deliciously addictive! A mixture of different nuts are toasted and tossed with butter, coarse sea salt, a little sugar, fresh rosemary and smoky chipotle for the perfect sweet and savory bar top snack!
Just before Christmas, Pat and I stopped into Costco for a few things and when I rounded the corner to head to checkout, I spotted a giant container of mixed nuts. Instantly I was inspired for a sweet and smoky bar nut to serve at my family’s appetizer-only Christmas party. I’m also making them again for New Year’s Eve, because they are incredibly easy and delicious.
I’m not kidding you, these should come with a warning that reads: “warning you may eat the entire bowl” because oh-muh-lord I could literally eat my weight in these. Salty, slightly sweet and smoky. It’s the perfect combination with fresh rosemary and toasty nuts.
To Make These Sweet and Smoky Bar Nuts You Will Need:
- mix of nuts (unsalted)
- unsalted butter
- dark brown sugar
- fresh rosemary
- coarse sea salt
- chipotle powder
Preheat your oven to 350° and line a rimmed, metal baking sheet with parchment paper. Scatter 1 pound of mix of unsalted nuts onto the pan and toast on the middle rack of your oven for 8 minutes. I rotate my pan halfway to ensure even toasting.
Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary, 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder.
I like to use coarse sea salt so that the warm butter doesn’t dissolve the salt, which will give extra texture to these nuts.
Once the nuts have toasted for 8 minutes, carefully transfer them to the bowl with the rosemary/butter mixture.
Use a spatula to toss and coat the nuts. Keep doing this until the nuts cool and the mixture becomes slightly sticky and coats the nuts well.
For those of you that love sweet and salty or sweet, salty and smoky, prepare to fall in love!
Enjoy! And if you give this recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!
Sweet and Smoky Bar Nuts
- 1 pound mixed nuts, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, coarse
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Preheat your oven to 350° and line a large, rimmed metal baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the unsalted nuts to the pan and slide the pan onto the middel rack of your oven. Toast the nutst for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, rosemary, sea salt and chipotle powder.
- Once the nuts are toasted, add them into the bowl with rosemary sugar/butter mixture and toss to combine.
- Toss ocassionally until the nuts have cooled and are coated evenly in the mixture.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!
These look and sound so good. Does the chipotle make them hot please?
Hi Lin! Not too spicy hot, but a smoky warmth. If you’re sensitive to spice, maybe play it safe and omit it. 🙂