Strawberry Lemon Mini Yogurt Cakes: Lemony cake studded with fresh strawberries topped with homemade whipped cream. Light and delicious!
Mini cakes, the name alone makes you feel less guilty for eating all of them two. Right?
Please tell me you have you had the chance to browse May’s issue of bon appétit magazine? And by chance did your eyes fall upon the recipe on page 30? Three words: French.yogurt.CAKE!
Here’s what I did, I took the loaf recipe and made just a few modifications and threw in some fresh strawberries and turned it into eight mini cakes.
As I skimmed the recipe I happened to notice that the recipe required NO mixer, NO butter and NO CALORIES… ha! just kidding on the calorie part, but it does call for Greek yogurt and I just love that!
To Make These Strawberry Lemon Mini Yogurt Cakes You Will Need:
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- kosher salt
- granulated sugar
- grated lemon zest
- plain whole milk greek yogurt
- grapeseed oil or extra light olive oil
- pure vanilla extract
- homemade whipped cream – for serving
Well today’s weather has been weird, for lack of a better descriptive word. It would go from sunny to dark and cloudy in the matter of moments which made it difficult to shoot this post. But a little cloudy sky never stopped me before and neither did a yummy cake… wait yes it has. Stopped me from exercising!
Star by whisking 1 and 1/2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Set off to the side for a moment.
In a large bowl add in 1 cup of sugar along with the zest of 1 lemon, which is roughly 1 tablespoon.
This is the fun part; with your fingers rub the sugar and the zest together until the sugar resembles wet sand.
Add in 2 eggs and 3/4 of a cup of whole milk Greek yogurt.
To that, pour in 1/2 cup grapeseed oil. The original recipe calls for vegetable oil, but since I never have any, I substituted grapeseed oil instead.
Don’t be like me and almost forget the vanilla. Why does this always happen to me??
Measure and add in 1/2 teaspoon and add that in too.
Next, add in the dry ingredients.
Then gently stir or fold them into the wet ingredients.
Dice up enough strawberries to equal 1 cup or so.
Then add the strawberries into the cake batter.
Next, gently fold the strawberries in until they are evenly throughout the batter.
I found these fancy-schmancy liners at a Home Goods store for 6 bucks. They are sturdy enough that you don’t need a muffin pan what-so-ever. You’ll need 8 of these babies, but jumbo muffin liners would work too, just set them up on a rimmed baking sheet and you’re good to go.
Then fill the liners up half way full, smooth out the tops and pop them into a preheated 350° oven for 20-22 minutes, or until the tops are a light golden and when you insert a cake tester it comes back clean. When you’re using these kinds of liners you have to be careful not to over bake the cakes.
Next, after they’ve bake; carefully remove them off of the sheet pan and over to a cooling rack, wait patiently for them to cool completely. IT’S SO HARD!
While I was waiting I quickly whipped up some homemade whipped cream.
And there you have it. Your very own mini cake. Lemony cake studded with fresh strawberries topped with homemade whipped cream… does it get any better than this? I didn’t think so. Cake is what Fridays are made for, seriously. Google it.
Strawberry & Lemon Mini French Yogurt Cakes
- 1½ unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup plain whole milk greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup extra light olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries
- homemade whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Set up eight large paper liners.
- In a medium bowl measure and add in the flour, baking soda and kosher salt, whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the sugar and lemon zest. Rub the lemon zest into the sugar until it resembles wet sand. Add in the two eggs, Greek yogurt, oil and vanilla, stir. Gently fold in the dry ingredients until incorporated and carefully stir in the diced strawberries.
- Fill the liners half way full and pop the sheet pan into a preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden and when a cake tester is inserted it comes back clean.
- Let cool completely before topping with whipped cream.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!