This Smoked Salmon Bagel Sandwich is a new lunch staple in our home. Thinly sliced smoked salmon, tomato, cucumber, micro-greens, pickled red onion and capers sandwich in a toasted everything bagel that’s spread with a homemade garlic dill cream cheese. Yields 1 sandwich.
Meet my latest obsession.
A trend that I saw on TikTok is now my lunch at least 1 to 2 days a week. Although I’m no stranger to lox and cream cheese, I wanted to put my own spin on the viral lox and cream cheese bagel sandwich. So I layered thinly sliced smoked salmon and sandwiched it with tomato, cucumber, micro-greens, pickled onions and capers between a toasted bagel slathered with a homemade garlic dill cream cheese.
The result? Delicious.
This sandwich has great texture. It’s fresh, flavorful, slightly salty and is deliciously messy in all the best ways.
To Make These Smoked Salmon Bagel Sandwich You Will Need:
for the garlic dill cream cheese:
- cream cheese (whipped) – Or regular cream cheese. I just find it easier to stir in ingredients using whipped.
- green onion – Adds a freshly sharp onion flavor.
- dill (fresh) – Lends a sweet and grassy with notes of celery and parsley.
- garlic – Adds distinct punchy flavor.
- black pepper – This will add some subtle bite and flavor.
for the sandwich:
- bagel – Bakery bagels are best. I like using everything bagels, but plain, asiago or cheddar jalapeno is great.
- garlic dill cream cheese – Adds creaminess with notes of onion, garlic and dill.
- smoked salmon – Adds protein with subtle salty and smoky flavor.
- tomato – Lends juicy fresh flavor.
- cucumber – Adds a crisp and fresh, melon-like flavor.
- Micro-greens – Totally optional but adds nutrients and texture. Arugula or baby spinach could also be substituted.
- pickled red onions – Adds tangy sweet onion flavor.
- capers – Lends a salty brine-y flavor.
Make The Garlic Dill Cream Cheese:
In a bowl measure and add 8 ounces whipped cream cheese, 2 finely chopped green onions, 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, 1 clove grated fresh garlic and some freshly g ground black pepper.
Stir well until combined.
I usually make this the morning of so the flavors can develop, but it’s not imperative. If you do however, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
This homemade cream cheese obviously yields more than one serving. Use it on toasted bagels, in sandwiches or wraps. Store in an airtight container in the fridge and use within 7 to 10 days.
Slice and toast your bagel. I’ve linked to this slicer (which I love!) and my beloved toaster in the recipe printable. I love this toaster because of many reasons but mainly because it makes the most perfect bagels. It has a bagel setting which toasts the inside (cut side) leaving the outside warm and soft.
Spread with a generous tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture.
On both toasted bagel halves.
Starting on the top half of the bagel, layer smoked salmon, tomato, cucumber, micro-greens, pickled red onions and capers.
Top with the bottom half of the bagel and flip (this is to get the rainbow effect). And I do this because it’s easier to layer the ingredients this way.
Click Here for more bagel creations!
Enjoy! And if you give this Smoked Salmon Bagel Sandwich recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!
Smoked Salmon Bagel Sandwich
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE:
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese, (see notes)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE SANDWICH:
- 1 bakery bagel
- 2 ounces smoked salmon
- 2 slices tomato
- 6 slices persian cucumber
- 1/4 cup microgreens, or baby arugula or baby spinach
- pickled red onion
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- Breville 4-Slice Toaster
MAKE THE CREAM CHEESE:
- In a medium bowl, measure and add whipped cream cheese, green onions, dill, garlic and freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.(see notes)
MAKE THE SANDWICH:
- Slice and toast your bagel. Swipe 2 generous tablespoons of the garlic dill cream cheese on both of the toasted sides.
- On the top side, layer smoked salmon, tomato, cucumber, micro-greens, pickled red onions and capers. Top with the bottom half of the bagel and flip (this is to get the rainbow effect)
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!
Leave a Reply