Quick Pickled Red Onions are a refrigerator staple! Slice red onion quickly pickles in apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt. Slightly sweet and tangy and delicious on top of burgers and hotdogs, in tacos, salads and so much more.
I first had pickled red onions onto of a slowly braised pork shoulder (I eventually recreated that dish at home) that was set into the creamiest of cheesy grits that I ever have tasted. The combination of fatty pork and vinegary red onions was pure perfection.
It was love at first bite.
I have a more in-depth recipe that’s is flavored with fresh garlic and peppercorns and here. But if you’re looking for a quick pickling recipe that is ready in an hour.
Well, this is one is for you.
To Make These Quick Pickled Red Onions:
- kosher salt
- apple cider vinegar
- red onion
In a mixing bowl, preferable with a spout, measure and add in 1 tablespoon sugar with 1-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
Pour in 2/3 cup both apple cider vinegar and warm water. Whisk until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
Thinly slice 1 medium red onion and add it to a glass jar (or any container with a tight fitting lid) and pour the pickling liquids over top.
That’s it! Just let it do it’s thing at room temperature for 1 hour.
The pickles will turn a bright pink and become slightly softer.
Give the whole thing a mix to break up the onions a bit. Serve or cover tightly and refrigerated until ready to serve.
These can be made up to 2 weeks in advance.
Serve on burgers or nachos, in tacos, salads or straight out of a jar. Because that’s your business.
Quick Pickled Red Onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- In a mixing bowl (preferable with a spout) measure and add sugar, salt, vinegar and warm water. Whisk until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Add sliced red onion to a jar or bowl. Pour pickling liquids over top.
- Submerge the onions and let them sit at room temperature for 1 hour, stirring once or twice.
- Use or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Can be made up to 2 weeks in advance.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!