Sloppy Josephs are the grown-up version of sloppy Joe’s! With crispy bacon, sliced avocado and completed with a fried egg (with the delicious runny yolk!) on top!
Don’t laugh at the name. I know you want to.
This isn’t a sammich that should be messed with. I mean look at it one impressive sloppy j.
First it all starts with my family’s sloppy joe recipe that I’ve been making for years.
The sauce is sweet and savory and perfect. It does call for ketchup, which I know some of my friends have strong feelings about it. But I of course will share with you my homemade ketchup recipe and you can feel free to use in place of reg-o ketchup.
It all comes together so quickly. While the sauce simmers you can crisp up the bacon, fry up some eggs and slice up an avocado. Then pla-dow! It’s done.
And of course I served with an adult beverage.
Then I happily shoved this sandwich into my face and gave myself the ultimate sloppy j stache. Because why not?
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat, or olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1½ pounds ground beef chuck
- 1½ cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 6 sturdy buns, or crusty rolls
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crispy
- 1 large avocado , sliced
- 6 eggs, fried
- Heat bacon fat (reserved from cooking the bacon) or oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and saute for 8 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Next add in the ground beef, using a spatula to break it into crumbles. Cook until no longer pink. Drain and discard any excess fat.
- To the onions and beef, add the ketchup, water, sugar, mustard, salt, pepper and paprika. Stir until combined.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce to low and cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring ocassionally.
- Divide sloppy Joseph mixture onto toasted buns or crusty rolls. Top with bacon, avocado and fried egg.
This recipe was inspired by damndelicious.net.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!