This Sheet Pan Balsamic Basil Chicken with Burst Tomatoes recipe will change your life. A few simple ingredients, a simple marinade and one sheet pan is all you need to put dinner on the table in under an hour. Serve with pasta or zoodles and prepare to fall in love. Serves 4.
If you want a ridiculously simple dinner, you must make this sheet pan balsamic basil chicken with burst tomatoes ASAP! It’s everything you could imagine it would be. We’re talking flavor for dayyyys because the tomatoes burst and mingle with the balsamic-chicken liquids, creating some saucy action. Your mind will be blown I promise.
As you know, sheet pan dinners are becoming one of my favorite things because they are so convenient! I dedicate at least one night (sometimes two) a week to making/testing sheet pan recipes. Some are just, meh and need some tweaks. But this one hit the nail on the head with it’s first go round.
It was love after first bite.
Sheet Pan Balsamic Basil Chicken with Burst Tomatoes You Will Need:
- balsamic vinegar
- low-sodium tamari (may sub with coconut aminos or low-sodium soy sauce)
- Dijon mustard
- olive oil
- dried basil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- cherry tomatoes
- chicken breast halves
In a medium bowl, add 1/4 cup balsamic, 2 tablespoons both tamari and honey, 1 tablespoon both dijon mustard and olive oil. Then grate in 1 medium shallot and 1 clove of garlic. Lastly measure in 3/4 teaspoon dried basil and whisk to combine.
Now add the boneless, skinless chicken breasts and toss to combine. Allow the chicken to marinate for 20 to 30 minutes or longer. Whatever you have time for.
Next toss a pint of tomatoes with a little olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt. Once the chicken has marinated, use tongs to remove each piece from the marinade. Let any excess marinade drip off before placing the chicken in the middle of a rimmed, metal baking sheet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and arrange the tomatoes around the chicken.
Slip the sheet pan into your preheated 425° oven for 15 minutes.
After the first 15 minutes, top each chicken breast with 1/4 cup of freshly shredded mozzarella cheese. Then slide the pan back in the oven and continue baking for an additional 5 to 8 more minutes (depending on the size of your chicken breasts). Furthermore, I also flick on the broiler for a few to give the mozzarella some deep golden spots.
While the sheet pan balsamic basil chicken was doing it’s thing, I prepared the zoodles which only takes 5 to 8 minutes to cook. Resulting in everything being done at the same time.
This is the saucy goodness I was telling you about! ^^^
Finally, serve it as is with fresh basil and red pepper flakes on zoodles or angel hair pasta, maybe even orzo or rice. Drizzle any pan juices over top!
That stuff is liquid gold.
The chicken is moist and the tomatoes leave a sauce behind on the sheet pan and acts as a sauce for the chicken.
Not that it really needs it.
Fresh basil really adds a nice burst of herbaceous freshness and after a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and parmesan, dinner is served.
Sheet Pan Balsamic Basil Chicken with Burst Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari, or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for tomatoes
- 1 medium medium shallot, grated
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, 1½to 1-¾ pounds total
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, I did a mix of cherry and sungold
- 1 cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- red pepper flakes, for garnish
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a medium bowl whisk together the vinegar, tamari, honey, mustard, 1 tablespoon olive oil, shallot, garlic and basil. Add in the chicken breast halves and toss to coat. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Refrigerate if marinating longer than 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425°.
- Toss the tomatoes in a little olive oil and kosher salt.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken from the marinade, allowing any excess marinade to drip back into the bowl. Place the chicken in the middle of a metal, rimmed baking sheet and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Scatter the tomatoes around the chicken.
- Slide the sheet pan onto the middle rack of your preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and top each chicken breast with 1/4 cup of mozzarella. Slide the pan back into the oven to continue baking for 5 to 8 more minutes. Turn on the broiler to brown the top of cheese -optional. This happens quickly, so watch carefully.
- Serve the chicken and burst tomatoes on top of pasta, rice or zoodles. Garnish with fresh basil, red pepper flakes and a little parmesan cheese. Lastly, spoon the pan liquids over top.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!