It’s Friday, why not make these fun saucy mozzarella dogs for dinner?
Years ago I shared these Lunch Lady Sloppy Joes, I even made them live on my local Fox 2 news morning show. They are legit and so good! After the TV segment and way after the blog post, I was talking to my mom and she said she really doesn’t remember putting sloppy joe sauce on mozzarella stuffed buns. I’m like ‘what? how can you not?’ it was one of my favorite dinners ever. She said what she does remember is using leftover spaghetti sauce as a topping. OHHHHHH how wrong was I?
So here it is years, hundreds of blog posts and a TV segment later, sharing what truly is a childhood favorite. It’s something fun and delicious for a weeknight family dinner and a great way to use leftovers.
Yesterday you may have seen my recipe for the best basic meat sauce and today I’m using the leftovers to make these saucy mozzarella dogs.
To Make These Saucy Mozzarella Dogs:
- mozzarella cheese sticks
- best basic meat sauce
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- minced parsley
The hardest part about this recipe was naming it. The easiest part? Eating two.
First set the mozzarella stick out onto your counter 45 minutes or 1 hour before you’re ready to serve lunch or dinner. As I reheat the sauce in a skillet until piping hot, I then nestle the mozzarella sticks into hot dog buns. If you can find the top split buns, those work excellent.
Next spoon the hot meat sauce over top of the mozzarella “dogs”.
Then sprinkle finely grated Parmesan cheese over top. And then for a pop of green, top with some mince fresh parsley.
And serve! For an extra delicious, melty and saucy mozzarella dogs, pop them into the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds and the mozzarella cheese will be melty and sting when you bite into it.
Fun for all ages and can be whipped up in just a few minutes, making dinner a snap.
Saucy Mozzarella Dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, top-split preferred
- 8 mozzarella sticks, soft and at room temperature
- 1½ cups leftover homemade meat sauce
- finely grated Parmesan cheese
- minced fresh parsley, optional
- While your sauce reheats, place the mozzarella cheese sticks into the hot dog buns.
- Top with the hot meat sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- For an extra delicious and melty saucy mozzarella dogs, pop them into the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds and the mozzarella will be melty and delicious.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!