These Salted Dark Chocolate Chunk Tahini Cookies have it all! Tahini gives these cookies delicious flavor and a buttery texture and is perfect paired with dark chocolate and sea salt. Yields a little over 4 dozen (52 total) cookies!
Tahini in cookies may just be my favorite way to use it. Remember this shortbread? Today I mixed into a simple cookie dough and threw in large chunks of dark chocolate. And if that wasn’t already epic, once baked, I sprinkled the warm just baked cookies with coarsely flaked sea salt. Because sea salt and dark chocolate are a match made in desert heaven.
Which is exactly what these tahini cookies are.
The perfect salty sweet cookie, if you ask me. Also delicious with coffee or red wine.
To Make these Salted Dark Chocolate Tahini Cookies You Will Need:
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- kosher salt
- room temperature unsalted butter
- granulated sugar
- both light and dark brown sugar
- pure vanilla extract
- dark chocolate chunks
- flaked sea salt
Next, in a large mixing bowl, combine the 4 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda and the 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Whisk to combine and then set off to the side.
Then in the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, add the 2 sticks softened butter, 2/3 cup tahini, 1 cup granulated sugar plus 1/2 each of light and dark brown sugar.
Next, with the mixer on low to medium-low, mix together until thoroughly combined.
Then add each egg one at a time, mixing well after each additional egg.
With the last egg, add in the teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix until combined and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
Next, with your mixer on low-speed, add in 1/3 of the dry ingredients at a time, until all the flour is incorporated. Scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
Lastly, add in the dark chocolate chunks and mix until they’re throughout.
Next, use a 2-tablespoon scoop to measure out the cookie dough onto a rimmed metal baking sheet that has been lined with parchment. Slip the pan of cookie dough into your refrigerator and then chill for 30 to 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 375℉ (or 190℃).
Once the dough has chilled, place 12 scoops onto another lined rimmed metal baking sheet. Next, use the flat side of a measuring cup or glass and press the dough to flatten it a bit. Slide the pan onto the middle rack of your preheated oven and bake for 9 to 10 minutes.
In my oven, 9 minutes was perfect. The edges were barely golden and the middles were soft. Right out of the oven, sprinkle with sea salt and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Then repeat with the remaining cookie dough.
Between my daughters and I, we devoured these cookies! I loved them still warm or warmed for a few seconds in the microwave, but they’re also delicious the next day at room temperature.
Salted Dark Chocolate Chunk Tahini Cookies
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup tahini
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 10 ounces dark chocolate chunks, 62% cacao
- flaked sea salt, for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk and set off to the side.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, add the softened butter, tahini and sugars. Mix on low until combined.
- Use a rubber spatula and scrape the side and bottom of the bowl.
- Add one egg at a time, mixing until just incorporated. Add the vanilla with the final egg.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Add in the dark chocolate chunks and mix until incorporated.
- Use a 2-tablespoon scoop to measure out the cookies and place onto a rimmed metal baking sheet. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 375℉ (or 190℃).
- Place 12 chilled cookie dough balls onto a different rimmed metal baking sheet that has been lined with parchment or a silicone mat. With the bottom of a clean glass or measuring cup, flatten the cookies slightly.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes. The edges should be barely browned.
- Remove, sprinkle with sea salt and allow to cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining cookie dough.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!