Orange Cardamom Muffins are tender, flavorful and moist! A simple muffin scented with orange zest and ground cardamom is sprinkled with sparkling sugar for a touch of sweetness and crunch. The perfect treat with coffee or tea. This recipe yields 12.
I love cardamom.
If there was a t-shirt with that phrase on it, I would gladly wear it. It’s a spice that I try to sneak into a lot of things. Who remembers this French toast from 2011? Needless to say, I’m still so smitten with this spice.
Obviously these orange cardamom muffins are the latest and greatest. Orange and cardamom are perfection together. And what better than to combine them in one glorious muffin recipe? Once they have baked and you smell their aroma, please tell me what you think they smell like. To me, it’s fruity pebbles😍.
To Make These Orange Cardamom Muffins You Will Need:
- unbleached all-purpose flour – The base to the muffin batter.
- cardamom (ground) – Slightly citrusy with notes of mint and pepper.
- baking powder – Will create lightness in the batter, which makes it rise.
- baking soda – Creates a gas while baking which helps the cake rise.
- fine salt – Use either finely ground kosher, seas salt or pink himalayan.
- granulated sugar (white) – For sweetening and flavor.
- orange zest – Adds delicate citrus flavor.
- light brown sugar – For a touch of sweetness and caramel-y flavor.
- eggs – Adds richness and flavor.
- olive oil – Lends moisture, richness and flavor.
- milk – Adds moisture to the batter.
- orange juice (freshly squeezed) – Adds additional orange citrus flavor and moisture.
- vanilla extract – Adds warmth and enhances all of the other flavors in this recipe.
- coarse sugar – Gives the tops to the muffins sweet crunchy texture.
Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners and lightly spray the inside of the liners with nonstick baking spray.
Preheat your oven to 350°.
In a medium bowl, measure and add 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons ground cardamom, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon both baking soda and fine salt.
Whisk to combine.
Next, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of orange zest (from 2 large oranges) to a bowl with 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
Using your impeccably clean hands, rub the zest and the sugar together.
Until it resembles wet sand.
Add the orange sugar to a bowl (preferably one with a spout) along with 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 2 large eggs, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup milk and 1/3 cup freshly squeezed (and strained of any seeds and pulp) orange juice. Lastly, measure and add in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Whisk well to combine.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry.
Stir until just combined.
Divide the batter among the paper liners.
Sprinkle the tops with sparkling sugar. At the grocery store, sometimes you can find sparkling sugar (not sanding sugar) with regular sugar or smaller containers of it with the sprinkles.
Bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes back clean with only a few crumbs attached. Rotate the pan halfway through to ensure even baking.
These muffins smell amazing. The orange with the citrusy notes of the cardamom work in perfect harmony with one another. And who can resist and crisp sugary muffin top?
The answer is: no one.
Orange Cardamom Muffins
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons fine salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup extra light olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed and strained of pulp
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coarse sparkling sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350° and line a standard baking pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, measure and add flour, cardamom, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine and set off to the side.
- Add the zest and granulated sugar to a bowl, use your fingers to massage them together until it resembles wet sand.
- In a separate bowl, measure and add the orange sugar, brown sugar, eggs, oil, milk, orange juice and vanilla. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, use a rubber spatula to mix until just combined.
- Evenly divide the muffin batter among prepared liners and bake on the middle rack for 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway during baking.
- Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes back clean but with a few crumbs attached.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!