Spice up your breakfast with a batch of Vanilla Cardamom French Toast! Sliced brioche is dipped in a vanilla, cardamom and nutmeg custard and griddled until golden. Serve with butter, syrup, toasted almonds and powdered sugar for one delicious breakfast! Serves 6.
One thing I love about the weekends, besides the obvious, is that I get to make breakfast for my family.
Typically Sunday breakfasts consist of eggs and bacon or pancakes and bacon. On the menu this past Sunday morning was French toast and endless cups of coffee. I swear I’ll find any excuse to use bread or a griddle!
However my intentions were to just making some basic ol’ french toast, until I opened my spice drawer to grab the vanilla and spied the cardamom. Could it work? Of course it did. And so I blogged about it.
This breakfast wins the award for best flavor and best aroma. So, prepare to fall in love the second you place the custard dipped bread onto the griddle and get wafts of the vanilla, nutmeg and cardamom laced egg batter.
To Make This Vanilla Cardamom French Toast You will Need:
- eggs – Adds richness and will firm the custard while the French toast cooks.
- milk – Lends moisture to the French toast custard.
- bread – Brioche is my favorite bread to use in this recipe, but almost any will work.
- vanilla extract – Adds warmth and enhances all of the other flavors in this recipe.
- ground cardamom – Slightly citrusy with notes of mint and pepper.
- nutmeg – Warm, aromatic with subtle hints of clove.
- coconut or olive oil spray – Used for greasing the griddle or pan.
- salted butter – Slather over warm French toast when serving.
- real maple syrup – Drizzle desired amount over French toast when serving.
- sliced almonds – Optional for serving, but does add nutty flavor and some crunch.
- powdered sugar – Optional for a touch of sweetness when serving.
First crack 4 large eggs into a shallow dish.
Then measure and add in 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
What is cardamom?
It is a potent citrusy spice, so if you are unsure if you are a cardamom fan, maybe try a quarter teaspoon.
Next, whisk until thoroughly combined..
Then pour in two cups of milk and whisk some more. It’s insanely aromatic and I seriously couldn’t help from taking in deep breaths of the egg mixture!
Then dip one side in the egg mixture and then quickly flip to the other side. Repeat with the remaining 17 slices of brioche. NOTE: You will have to keep whisking here and there in between bread dipping because the cardamom likes to settle to the bottom of the dish.
Now, See those black specks? That would be the cardamom and nutmeg!
Then place onto a lightly oiled, preheated 325-350° griddle, or medium to medium-high heat if using a pan. The temperature will depend on the griddle you are using.
Next, flip after 3 minutes or when the bottom is golden and then repeat.
Lastly, serve the vanilla cardamom French toast with butter, syrup and I prefer mine with toasted sliced almonds too.
Because helllooo?! extra crunch in the form of almonds is never a bad thing.
For more French toast recipes Click HERE.
Vanilla Cardamom French Toast
FOR THE FRENCH TOAST:
- 18 slices brioche
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- coconut oil spray, for griddle
FOR SERVING (OPTIONAL):
- salted butter
- real maple syrup
- toasted almonds
- powdered sugar
- Wipe or spray your griddle with coconut oil and preheat to 325° to 350°. The temperature will depend on the griddle.
- Meanwhile, use a whisk to beat the eggs with vanilla, ground cardamom and nutmeg.
- Pour in the whole milk and gently whisk to combine.
- Dip both sides of each slice of bread into the custard and place onto a wire rack set into a rimmed metal sheet pan and repeat with the remaining slices of bread. *You will have to keep whisking here and there in between bread dipping because the cardamom and nutmeg tends to settle in the bottom of the dish.
- Working in batches, place the dipped bread onto your preheated griddle and cook for 3 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Flip and continue to cook for 1 to 2 more minutes. Repeat with remaining pieces. Keep the French toast warm on a rimmed metal baking sheet in a 200° oven.
- Serve with butter, real maple syrup, toasted almonds and powdered sugar.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!