Grab your knife and fork for this Open-faced Breakfast BLAT! Sourdough English muffins slathered with a spicy mayo and topped with a blend of arugula and baby spinach. Layers of avocado, oven-roasted herbed tomatoes, peppered bacon is crowned with a perfectly cooked fried egg. Serves 4 in about 1 hour.
Need a way to bust out of a breakfast rut? You and me both. Well, look no further than what just may be the ULTIMATE breakfast sort-of-sandwich.
What we have hear is an open-faced breakfast BLAT and it’s ahhhmaaazing! I toasted up a couple sourdough English muffins and swiped a generous amount of spicy mayo, working it into those nooks and crannies. Then topped it with a blend of arugula and baby spinach. Then I topped that with sliced avocado, oven roasted tomatoes, crispy peppered bacon and a fried egg for the crowning glory!
To Make these Open-Faced Breakfast BLAT You Will Need:
- 2 English muffins (I used sourdough)
- spicy mayo
- baby arugula and spinach blend
- roma tomatoes
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh thyme and rosemary
- an avocado
- peppered bacon
The spicy mayo isn’t “spicy” per say, but it’s yummy!
It’s just 1/4 cup mayonnaise mixed with a teaspoon or so of both sriracha and honey with 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon garlic pepper and freshly ground black pepper. Make this first because then it can work its magic in the fridge while you prepare the rest.
Next, slice 2 Roma tomatoes in half lengthwise and place them onto a rimmed, metal baking sheet. Drizzle the tomato halves with a little bit of olive oil and season with a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Mince up a teaspoon or so (go on and eyeball it) of fresh rosemary and strip the leaves off of a couple sprigs of fresh thyme. Sprinkle those over top as well.
Slide the pan into your preheated 375° oven and roast for 40 to 45 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
Meanwhile cut 6 strips of thick-cut peppered bacon and cook until crispy, then transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
Lastly make a couple of fried eggs or poached eggs.
Toast the English muffins until lightly golden and spread with the spicy mayo. Top with the spinach arugula mix, avocado slices and roasted tomatoes and three half-strips of peppered bacon. All that is left to do is top this open-faced breakfast BLAT with your egg of choice.
Lastly, sprinkle with fresh parsley and a little red pepper flakes for some subtle heat.
I kept this open-faced for a few reasons. The first being that it makes me feel better when breakfast is lower in carbs. Secondly, there’s no way I can fit this in my mouth graciously. Nope. Thirdly, it gets a little messy with the roasted tomato, avocado and drippy yolk. This is best attacked with a fork and knife. But you do you and if you want to slap a lid on it and go for it, by all means don’t let me stop you. 😉
Enjoy! And if you give this Open-Faced Breakfast BLAT recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!
Open-Faced Breakfast BLAT with Spicy Mayo
FOR THE SPICY MAYO:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, homemade or store-bought
- 2 teaspoons sriracha, more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE OVEN ROASTED TOMATOES:
- 2 roma tomatoes, sliced in half horizontally
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- thyme leaves, chopped
- rosemary leaves, chopped
FOR THE SANDWICHES:
- 2 sourdough English muffins, split and toasted
- 2 cups arugula and spinach blend
- 1 small avocado, sliced or mashed
- 6 strips thick-cut peppered bacon, cut in half (I'm using pepper crusted bacon)
- 4 eggs, fried or poached
- parsley, for garnish
- red pepper flakes, for garnish
FOR THE SPICY MAYO:
- Combine the mayo, sriracha, honey, onion and garlic powder and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
FOR THE OVEN ROASTED TOMATOES:
- Preheat your oven to 375° and place the halved tomatoes onto a rimmed metal baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt, black pepper, fresh thyme leaves and minced fresh rosemary.
- Roast for 40 to 45 minutes, rotating the pan half way through roasting.
FOR THE BREAKFAST BLAT:
- While the tomatoes roast in the oven, start cooking the bacon. Once crispy transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Toast up 2 English muffins and spread the spicy mayo on each slice. Top each slice with (loosely) 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the spinach/arugula blend, sliced avocado, a roasted tomato, three half-slices of peppered bacon and a fried or poached egg.
- Garnish with minced parsley and red pepper flakes.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!
Love breakfast sandwiches! Well, breakfast foods in general are awesome!
ha ha! I totally agree with you, Mara!