This one pot spaghetti is so ridiculously easy. Because, yes you guessed it, the whole thing is done in one pot! As in the meat, noodles… everything.
All day Monday I was 1 hour ahead of schedule.
Thanks to myself for not setting my clocks back on Sunday morning.
It wasn’t until after I made this one pot spaghetti, washed the dishes, changed loads of laundry and walked into my bedroom and eyed my husbands alarm clock (which he adjusted so he would wake up on time) that it dawned on me. I must have stared at it good and hard for 3 like solid minutes.
These were my thoughts: 1:30? But I thought it was 2:30. Wait. Oh my gosh the clock on the stove is wrong. I should have changed it yesterday. But heyyyy I just gained an hour to take a nap! Zzzzzz.
Speaking of naps (carbs). This one pot spaghetti is so ridiculously easy. Because, yes you guessed it, the whole thing is done in one pot! As in the meat, noodles… everything. As someone who claims to be a professional dishwasher, I try to avoid dirtying (and therefore washing) as little of dishes as humanly (and blogger-ly) possible. So I’m all about those one pot jams.
After making a one pot chili mac and cheese recipe earlier this year, I started testing out spaghetti versions. Because if there’s one dish I absolutely cannot stand to wash it’s a pots.
Big pots are the worst. And if I could eliminate one of the two? Heck, I am in!
To Make This One Pot Spaghetti You Will Need:
- yellow onion
- kosher salt
- lean ground beef
- hot or mild Italian sausage
- marinara sauce (homemade or store bought)
- spaghetti noodles
- low-sodium chicken broth
- basil, for serving
I preheated my 6-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, I then drizzle in 2 teaspoons of olive oil and added in 1 cup diced yellow onion and a pinch of kosher salt. When the onion has softened add 1 pound ground beef and 1/2 pound Italian sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spatula and cooking until browned. Used a spoon to remove the fat to a nearby heat safe bowl.
To the ground beef mixture add 3 cups of marinara and 4 cups low sodium chicken broth.
Then add in the spaghetti (I broke it in half), give it a stir and brought it up to a boil with the lid askew. Once at a boil, I stirred quite often because you don’t want the noodles to stick to the bottom of the pot. Cook for 15 minutes (once at a boil). I did remove the lid half way through the cooking time.
Remember, be sure to stir often. Those noodles like to stick.
You could totally just serve the spaghetti now…
But cheese makes everything better. I sprinkled 1/3 cup of freshly grated Parmesan and 2 cups freshly shredded mozzarella cheese. Then I slide the whole pot under the broiler for like 2 minutes… not long at all so watch closely.
Then I sprinkled the whole pot with fresh sliced basil.
One Pot Spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, hot or mild
- 3 cups Roasted Garlic Marinara
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 ounces spaghetti noodles, broken in half
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups freshly shredded Mozzarella
- fresh basil, thinly sliced for serving
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add in the olive oil, onions and a pinch of salt.
- Stir and cook the onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Add in ground beef and Italian sausage, use a wooden spoon to break up the meat and cook until no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Drain off all of the fat, then pour in the marinara and chicken broth.
- Stir together and then add in the noodles. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil with the lid askew, stirring often.
- When boiling, reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 15 minutes. Again, stirring often so the noodle do not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Meanwhile preheat your broiler to high.
- Once the noodles are tender, remove the pot off of the burner and sprinkle with Parmesan and then the mozzarella. Slide the pan underneath the broiler until the cheese has melted and is lightly golden in spots.
- Sprinkle with sliced fresh basil before serving.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!